Had to share this!

pehlibaar

I found this light up sword at our local dollar store! It's going to be perfect for my kids on Pirate Night!

You are aware of the recent DCL policy change?

Items prohibited on board ship and on Castaway Cay.

Toy guns or other replicas of firearms and weapons

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/list/

I may just make another thread but I was looking at that list, and some things that are recommended on these boards to take on a cruise are prohibited. Over the door organizers and extension cords. As well as bottle warmers too. Wow!

I may just make another thread but I was looking at that list, and some things that are recommended on these boards to take on a cruise are prohibited. Over the door organizers and extension cords. As well as bottle warmers too. Wow!

The over the door organizers are now banned due to damage to doors/frames from the metal hanger that goes over the door. You can still bring them, but they must be hung on either the hooks in the room, or in the closet.

So I was looking on the Disney website and did a search about toy swords, specifically for Disney Cruises. On the mom's panel, the answers to the questions all said that as long as it was obviously a toy, and packed in carry on, that it would be fine. The latest q/a was 2014. I think I'm gonna ask myself and hopefully get an answer, that way if there's an issue, I can show them when we board :-)

So I was looking on the Disney website and did a search about toy swords, specifically for Disney Cruises. On the mom's panel, the answers to the questions all said that as long as it was obviously a toy, and packed in carry on, that it would be fine. The latest q/a was 2014. I think I'm gonna ask myself and hopefully get an answer, that way if there's an issue, I can show them when we board :-)

Yes, it used to be allowed. The change in wording, to include "or other replicas of firearms and weapons" is recent. Since the Paris attacks.

I ordered a plastic sword to go with my granddaughter's pirate costume, but after reading this we will be leaving it at home.

Sure she is disappointed.......but she will get over it....;)

We can't wait until April!!! Happy sailing everyone!!!

I'm sure the mom's panel will do their best to answer your question as accurately as they can, but, they are only people answering questions on a forum such as this.

Whether they advise you you can take the sword onboard or not, it remains up to the ship as to if they allow you to, and current DCL policy is no replica toy guns or weapons. Providing proof of what the mom's panel say means nothing unfortunately. Much the same as a CM at a call center answering a question incorrectly.

The ship implements the rules as they see fit and within their interpretation.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie
sp. replica, not replacing

The rules about weapons including toys and replicas are new in the last few months. ANYTHING written before that or done before that is out of date. We used to laugh because they said "no swords," but sold them in the gift shops. Now they are officially not permitted and not sold on the ships or in the parks.

Can you get away with it? Don't know. Do you want to chance getting it confiscated? Don't know that either.

The rules about weapons including toys and replicas are new in the last few months. ANYTHING written before that or done before that is out of date. We used to laugh because they said "no swords' date='" but sold them in the gift shops. Now they are officially not permitted and not sold on the ships or in the parks.

Can you get away with it? Don't know. Do you want to chance getting it confiscated? Don't know that either.[/quote']

There have been reports that swords are still part of the Pirate night packages in BBB.

You are aware of the recent DCL policy change?

Items prohibited on board ship and on Castaway Cay.

Toy guns or other replicas of firearms and weapons

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/list/

Yes, it used to be allowed. The change in wording, to include "or other replicas of firearms and weapons" is recent. Since the Paris attacks.

There have been reports that swords are still part of the Pirate night packages in BBB.

So my question would be if a child has attended a BBB appointment and been given a sword as part of the dress up package, then they take said sword home, are they allowed to bring previously SOLD BY DCL sword back on their next cruise?

Hmmmmm. I wonder.

Were the Paris attacks the reason for the addition of "toy guns" or is that just speculation and hearsay?

ex techie

Do you think contacting Disney Cruise Line's customer service would make any difference? It's not a big deal whether we can take them or not, but seeing the conflicting reports, and the fact that they sell toy swords on the ship makes me wonder.

So my question would be if a child has attended a BBB appointment and been given a sword as part of the dress up package, then they take said sword home, are they allowed to bring previously SOLD BY DCL sword back on their next cruise?

Hmmmmm. I wonder.

Were the Paris attacks the reason for the addition of "toy guns" or is that just speculation and hearsay?

ex techie

Good questions. I think the part about the Paris attack is heresay. But DCL did announce that they would no longer be selling items that were prohibited by their own policies. I find it funny that these are still for sale.

To OP, the reason for the mixed reports is that you are seeing people post both the old and the new written policies. There is no question as to what the written policy says. The question is whether DCL is implementing their own stated policy or not. I suspect that if you call DCL, the CM can only read the policy to you. But go ahead and call if that floats your boat.

if you *really* want to give your kid a chance to have a sword on pirate night, maybe bring an inflatable sword? It's not much space in your luggage, and you can inflate it onboard ship. Then if there are concerns, you can deflate it and put it away.