Open seating + food allergies = ???

nodumblond

I try very hard not to start new threads when the information I'm seeking is on the boards somewhere . . . but I'm not seeing anything that addresses our particular challenge. If I've missed it, please point me in the right direction.

We just booked a last-minute cruise on HAL out of FLL in February. The only dining option that was offered was open/AYW dining.

We normally do main/'late' traditional dining, as DH has an unusual but lethal allergy to certain vegetables: that way, we can give a head's up to the maitre d' and our table staff to head off any challenges during our time on board.

You can bet that I'll be presenting myself to said maitre d' as soon as we get on board to see if we have any hope of getting into a more 'traditional' dining framework. However: if that's not an option, what other suggestions do y'all have to minimize risk?

The irony of this is that we have met so many wonderful people through the traditional dining framework that we would not have otherwise, we actually PREFER the 'old-school' way of having assigned seating/times. Funny how things work. :*)

I also have severe food allergies so the fixed dining option is my preference as well. But I can mostly police myself 99% of the time.Anything hidden in food servings is another matter eg pesto is in a lot of things but it contains nuts( my allergy)

As you said, go see the dining room manager as soon as you board and explain the situation. He may be able to shuffle someone around and ease your mind. They will do your best to accommodate you.

1. Food allergies are well handled in Open Dining - the "flag" is with your cabin number. Been there done that. The first night they may bot have it, but if you have filled out the Access Form" of special needs even the first night they should know. of course you will remind them.

2. You will have the opportunity to meet more new people in Open Dining than in fixed because you will be asked each evening if you want to share or have a table alone.

3. If you like the people you meet, you have more flexibility to dine with them, some or all of the time and whatever time works well for the group that night.

4. You will likely be moved to main dining when you board and request it.

Have a great cruise! m--

I try very hard not to start new threads when the information I'm seeking is on the boards somewhere . . . but I'm not seeing anything that addresses our particular challenge. If I've missed it, please point me in the right direction.

We just booked a last-minute cruise on HAL out of FLL in February. The only dining option that was offered was open/AYW dining.

We normally do main/'late' traditional dining, as DH has an unusual but lethal allergy to certain vegetables: that way, we can give a head's up to the maitre d' and our table staff to head off any challenges during our time on board.

You can bet that I'll be presenting myself to said maitre d' as soon as we get on board to see if we have any hope of getting into a more 'traditional' dining framework. However: if that's not an option, what other suggestions do y'all have to minimize risk?

The irony of this is that we have met so many wonderful people through the traditional dining framework that we would not have otherwise, we actually PREFER the 'old-school' way of having assigned seating/times. Funny how things work. :*)

I would say you have the right idea with talking to the Dining Room Manager right away. If they can move you to traditional they will. If they can't they'll have some other ideas. Regardless, definitely let the server staff know as well. You won't be the first time the situation has come up so I would defer to their expertise while certainly doing what you need to as well so epi-pens aren't involved.

Have fun :)

Do fill out the form ahead of time and send to ship services. Whether or not your in open dining or fixed, special diets are handled the same way: each night you'll be given the next night's menu where you can indicate your choices. Either your name and cabin will already be on the form, or you can write that in and your preferred preparations will be ready for you the next night - wherever you are eating.

Thanks for all the feedback. Our TA did take notes about his allergies, but I know better than to rely upon that. :rolleyes:

Now, if we could just convince HAL to drop the ridiculous amount they require to set up an on-board account . . . but that's for a different thread. :D

Thanks again!

If you can't get into the fixed dining, consider making a reservation for the same table each night. That way you'd have servers who know you and are aware that you have special concerns. Usually a standing reservation is for just a few days, but sometimes they'll extend it for longer.