Just returned from NCL gem Jan 2 cruise

Raiderzfan422

New member here and this was my first cruise. We live in upstate Ny and did not want to fly so the NCL gem seemed perfect. Getting on the ship wasn't to bad of a wait. Once on the ship forget about getting any food. We could not find a seat anywhere in the "cafeteria" ( the same food quality as a high school cafeteria). Finally after the safety meeting we had to go to we found a seat at osheenas pub on the ship. Just when I thought the garden cafes food was bad we tried osheenas food and it was equally terrible. On top of the terrible food the service was just as bad. In the 7 or 8 times we ate there not 1 time was our order correct. Also the grille at the Tahitian bar was not open for the entire cruise. Food on the ship gets a 1 outta 5 stars only because the orchid gardens food was decent. We brought our 2 yr old daughter with us on the cruise and of course why would the nice slide going to the pool work? So now on of the main things for her to enjoy is no longer working. Now back to the food. On day 6 me and my brother in law both got sick from the undercooked chicken grilled by the pool. We both threw up during the night and felt better by morning. I can say I did not gain any weight on this cruise because the food was out of my system within a few mins after every meal. After thr food sickness I could not eat anymore meat on this ship the last 4 days. The thought of it made me sick and I love eating grilled food. So I managed eating pasta and pizza the remainder of cruise. I can only hope not all cruises are like this. I will never return on a NCL ship after this cruise. We may have to drive to Baltimore and try a Royal carribean next time. I give this cruise a .5 outta 5 stars. The reason for the half star is because the ultimate beverage package was a great bargin. Also our room cleaning guy was great as well and very friendly. Ship was very clean also.

Why would you chose to eat at Osheehans so many times--I agree it is an embarrassment -poor food and poor service, but after one poor experience why go back?

I agree they need to change the buffet menus--essentially the same menu for each lunch and dinner

Welcome home. When you first boarded you should have had lunch in the MDR. Plenty of seats, good menu, relaxing. Quite civilized. Sounds like you have already made up your mind that you are done with NCL. Good luck with Royal. I have a funny feeling you will find their Windjammer Buffet just as crowded and food on par with NCL. Anyway happy trails.

We went to magenta and grand pacific a couple of times. I learned on this NCL ship to order 3 appetizers and 2 dinners because of how small the portions are. I ordered cheeseburger sliders the first day and got 1 burger that made White Castle look like a whopper. I figured I would have got 3 or 4 sliders not 1 chicken nugget sized slider. All portions for most meals were kids menu sized. You may be right about RCL but I see no other options from ny area

We went to magenta and grand pacific a couple of times. I learned on this NCL ship to order 3 appetizers and 2 dinners because of how small the portions are. I ordered cheeseburger sliders the first day and got 1 burger that made White Castle look like a whopper. I figured I would have got 3 or 4 sliders not 1 chicken nugget sized slider. All portions for most meals were kids menu sized. You may be right about RCL but I see no other options from ny area

Carnival sails from Baltimore pretty much year round. Plus Carnival sails seasonally from NY. Do your research. If you go on the Royal and Carnival boards you will hear very similar complaints about the food. MDR and buffet you are getting meals prepared for the masses. Think banquet style. In regards to small portions, there is no limit to the amount of apps and entress you can order in the MDR. Small portions wouldn't deter me from sailing with NCL or any other line for that matter. Hopefully you will find the cruiseline that is the right fit for you and your family. If not perhaps you can try an all inclusive land vacation..

Edited by NYcruzzer

Royal Caribbean sails out of Bayonne, NJ.

I would also suggest trying a Princess Cruise, although the line doesn't sail out of NY area. Princess has very good food.

Too bad you didn't hit any specialty restaurants.

Then again, i never go on a cruise expecting 5-star dining. At least not on the mass cruise lines.

New member here and this was my first cruise. We live in upstate Ny and did not want to fly so the NCL gem seemed perfect. Getting on the ship wasn't to bad of a wait. Once on the ship forget about getting any food. We could not find a seat anywhere in the "cafeteria" ( the same food quality as a high school cafeteria). Finally after the safety meeting we had to go to we found a seat at osheenas pub on the ship. Just when I thought the garden cafes food was bad we tried osheenas food and it was equally terrible. On top of the terrible food the service was just as bad. In the 7 or 8 times we ate there not 1 time was our order correct. Also the grille at the Tahitian bar was not open for the entire cruise. Food on the ship gets a 1 outta 5 stars only because the orchid gardens food was decent. We brought our 2 yr old daughter with us on the cruise and of course why would the nice slide going to the pool work? So now on of the main things for her to enjoy is no longer working. Now back to the food. On day 6 me and my brother in law both got sick from the undercooked chicken grilled by the pool. We both threw up during the night and felt better by morning. I can say I did not gain any weight on this cruise because the food was out of my system within a few mins after every meal. After thr food sickness I could not eat anymore meat on this ship the last 4 days. The thought of it made me sick and I love eating grilled food. So I managed eating pasta and pizza the remainder of cruise. I can only hope not all cruises are like this. I will never return on a NCL ship after this cruise. We may have to drive to Baltimore and try a Royal carribean next time. I give this cruise a .5 outta 5 stars. The reason for the half star is because the ultimate beverage package was a great bargin. Also our room cleaning guy was great as well and very friendly. Ship was very clean also.

Wow!! I have to agree with you completely about the food. Did one cruise on the Gem. The food was almost inedible and the wait staff was completely overwhelmed. Have done all mass market cruise lines and unfortunately this cruise was the worst. I will agree that the entertainment was pretty good, the ship was in good shape. The crew were pleasant just not enough of them.

When you cruise during the Christmas holidays, the ship is filled to capacity and that will add to the issues with mass preparation of food and also strain crew services as the passenger to crew ratio changes dramatically. I am on the January 22nd GEM cruise and as of today, there were at least 40 - 50 empty cabins.

I usually sail off season now that I do not have school age children and the venue onboard changes from "prime time" cruising.

If you do not have children, I would suggest trying NCL again with an off-seasonal cruise.

Personally, I agree with David....the specialty restaurants are really good.

Too bad you didn't try a few. They are one reason I love NCL....great dishes and variety. :)

Also, Buffets are not my cup of tea, but are great for breakfast. The Great Outdoors is one of the nicest venues on the GEM. Having breakfast outside in the aft with a beautiful morning view of the ocean and a great personally prepared, delicious omlet with fresh fruit and throw in a bagle with cream cheese and lox and it doesn't get much better than that! :D

Don

Such a shame your first experience was so bad. We will be on the Gem next month, first cruise with NCL. Thankfully we chose the UDP rather than UBP when we booked, so can try the speciality restaurants at no extra charge. Even if the buffet and main dining room is 'food for the masses' it shouldn't be that bad that it makes you ill !! Thanks for letting us know your experience on board.

The ship was not overcrowded and staff were plentiful. The mdr service was very good although the menu does lack in many ways. All the steak dishes were excellent and I had the best piece of prime rib ever on the last night complimentary of course in the mdr

There were always loungers albeit on the sun deck not and not poolside

I know who the op was as I was sitting next to her family one day and it isn't easy cruising with a 2 yo and extended family some of which got sick. It was obvious by day 8/9/10 that she wasnt a happy camper

Let's face it life for 10 days on a ship is strenuous especially with her family demographics which included a 2 yo....and In laws....btw the matriarch and patriarch of this group were vibrant early mid 60's types and very friendly even though they had both Injured themselves from being thrown by a wave it never seemed to slow them down

Personally I would never cruise with any extended family because I just don't want to do that. I prefer it be just a combo of me my spouse and the kids I raised under my roof all of which are still 25 and under so right now we have zero In laws or babies to be concerned about

That will change of course and when it does it will just be fine by me lol

IMHO the op had a bad cruise because of her personal demographics not because of the ship staff or mdr etc. it just wasn't easy with a large group that included a 2 yo.

Buffets are always crowded and I cringe thinking of doing them with a large group and a 2 yo

The crew was always visible and I never had trouble getting anything from pool towels to a cappuccino in the atrium

The ship is in great condition too

Not sure why the pool slide was a big loss for her 2 yo though because the baby can't go down alone nor would they let an adult go down holding her. It was actually a good thing for them it was closed I would say.

Regardless this cruise was very nice with great weather and great ports. The food while not 4 star was fine. The crew was good. The CD was mediocre but the entertainment was good

It's truly very difficult to travel with a young child on a cruise so I think that was why the op didn't have a great time plus they were a big group overall.

Also if I'm not mistaken the ones in her family who got ill did so due to eating some poolside deck grilled chicken. The chicken was on the bone and they were making tons of it so probably the part near the bone wasn't cooked through

I loved this cruise and lived the Rick bottom priced I paid even more. Lol

Edited by luvtheships

Glad you enjoyed the Ultimate Beverage Package.

When we were on the Gem in September we ate breakfast in the buffet every day and had no trouble finding a seat (only two of us). Food was okay, coffee terrible. On sea days ate lunch in the MDR and on port days ate lunch in O'Sheehans because got back too late. Their cheeseburgers are hugh and delicious. Also their chicken wings are very, very tasty. Service was acceptable. Ate dinner in the Grand Pacific every night except two, once in Magenta and once in the chinese restaurant. They say there is no difference in food between the two MDR's but I guess on the night we picked to eat at Magenta, everything we ordered was horrible. Also, the ambience was so much nicer in Grand Pacific. Being from the tri-state area, we are so accustomed to great chinese that this restaurant was a big letdown.

On our next cruise we have the SDP and are excited to try the specialty restaurants for the first time.

On boarding day never go to the buffet, it's well known it's total madness, get in line at the MDR, sit, and relax.

What made the food bad at O'Sheehans? Did something change for those who have been on the ship lately and the past year? Last February we ate their constantly, chicken fingers and french fries, pastrami sandwich, and other basic grub, it all was just what we thought it would be.

My friend and I were on the Gem in September. This was her first cruise and my first time on NCL. We went to the Grand Pacific dining room upon boarding and had a tasty and relaxing lunch. My biggest complaint was that the Buffet was SO crowded at breakfast. We were usually there about 9:00 a.m. and had a very hard time finding a seat. I read on CC to go into La Cucina for seating and that worked the first few days, but then everyone else caught on and it got crowded too. It was little bit too cold and windy to sit in The Great Outdoors.

We thought the food on the Gem was fine. Service overall was fantastic. I liked the Gem, but it just felt crowded to me. Hard to get a seat in Magnum's and the Atrium. Loved having the UBP. Also, liked the relaxed atmosphere. Never waited to get a seat in either dining room, or the Orchid Garden.

OP - sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise on the Gem.

Edited by antmaril

Actually, I think a better idea is to go to one of the specialty restaurants on boarding day. I always schedule a time at La Cucina, and then never worry about crowds at any of the restaurants. First night is always crowded in the main rooms as everyone is settling in around the same time. Takes a night for the crowds to adjust to their different dining option times.

As an aside, I can't imagine taking a two year old on a cruise and enjoying it.

To OP - Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. We are on our 5th NCL cruise in a few short weeks. Never had a problem with the food and we have eaten in the buffet, O'Sheehan's, main dining rooms as well as some of the specialty restaurants. I think our only complaint was that at times the service was a bit slow in the MDR's.

Considering that you seemed to get sick so often and there was no reported outbreak onboard you may have been suffering from the stomach virus. If you thought the food was bad you could have made a visit to the ship's doctor.

If your experiences were so bad, contact NCL direct and give them a chance to make things right.

Edited by msg12188

...Also the grille at the Tahitian bar was not open for the entire cruise...

It's been a few years since we were on the Gem, but do they ever serve food at Bali Hai? I don't recall seeing food there the times we were on and it's one of my favorite spots to drink on the ship.

...Let's face it life for 10 days on a ship is strenuous especially with her family demographics which included a 2 yo....and In laws....btw the matriarch and patriarch of this group were vibrant early mid 60's types and very friendly even though they had both Injured themselves from being thrown by a wave it never seemed to slow them down

Personally I would never cruise with any extended family because I just don't want to do that. I prefer it be just a combo of me my spouse and the kids I raised under my roof all of which are still 25 and under so right now we have zero In laws or babies to be concerned about...

We've done 4 cruises with extended family and children. The key is to not do everything together. Maybe we meet up for breakfast and lunch if we see each other either at the venue or beforehand. We do have a few planned dinners, but usually less than half. We always meet up for pre-dinner drinks and try to do excursions together. But besides that, it's everyones vacation, you don't need to do everything together.

...Not sure why the pool slide was a big loss for her 2 yo though because the baby can't go down alone nor would they let an adult go down holding her. It was actually a good thing for them it was closed I would say...

Last time on the Gem my FIL rode down the slide with my daughter who was around 5, with her directly on his lap, and no one stopped them every time they went.

I understand that everyone's experience differs based upon varied factors, but I just want to provide the perspective from my family -- Mom, Dad, 2 college-age daughters. We had a fabulous time. The ship did not feel crowded and the crew was fantastic -- everyone from the washy-washy girls to our room stewards, who made the most amazing towel animals, to our waiter in the Grand Pacific, who we wound up requesting every night because he was so awesome. We had delicious meals in the MDR, in fact, the rack of lamb and chateaubriand were out of this world, and we wound up ordering second helpings, even my daughter who is not a regular meat-eater! While the Bali Hai bar did get crowded during sunny sea days, the wait was not long at all and the bartenders were working at top speed. A short trip down the stairs to the Tahitian bar took care of any wait at all, and they were also great bartenders. The attitude on the ship was so positive and upbeat, we met some really nice passengers, and the crew genuinely wanted you to enjoy yourselves! We did make the investment in 4 spa passes since we knew it would be cold for several days, and that was worth every penny. We love the Gem, a beautiful, very clean ship with an exceptional crew!

Mom with 2 college daughters on this cruise....and it was a perfect trip!!!!! All around...weather....food....ports...shows

I recall the op btw and even though the kid was adorable and the extended family seemed nice.....

There is no way I would ever take a 2 yo on a big extended family vacay....

That doesn't mean I wouldn't take a 2 yo at all....it just means for me it would be just me and dh and the babe!!

I've cruised with a 3 yo and was extended 3 days due to hurricane Frances so I know what can happen and how difficult it can be but a 3 yo is not in diapers whereas her 2 yo was in diapers....which btw she changed on the sun deck on the lounger.

I just happened to be strolling around at the time

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Funny how the same things are different for everyone. I was on this cruise with my DS (18) and we both commented about how easy it was to find a table in the buffet and how easy it was to get food. On RCL we always find the Windjammer to be chaotic and crowded. I do think service is lacking by almost anyone. I never met my room steward. Our room was made up and we never lacked for anything, but never met him and there was nothing above and beyond, like towel animals. We also thought the service in the MDR was slow, but the food was ok, except the portion size was a bit small. The first night we ate there, the service was horrible, and I complained about the food, which is not like me, but when you find half of an onion skin in the french onion soup, thats just wrong. I told the waiter nad he said its because they don't peel the onions, just throw them whole into the chopper. The head waiter thought differently and was glad I told her.

I also just returned from the Jan 2 sailing, so here's my two cents for another perspective. All my meals were either good or excellent. Admittedly, I only had two dinners in the MDR but they were good. Actually, the chateaubriand in the MDR was excellent. The specialty restaurants ranged from good (Orchid, La Cucina and Le Bistro) to excellent (Moderno, Teppanyaki and Cagney's three times). I had the UDP and took advantage of it.

The buffet was good, too, if your expectations of a buffet are reasonable. A very good and extensive selection of food, freshly served (not lying around under a heat lamp forever) and even custom-made (e.g, rare burgers). An excellent selection of hard ice cream flavors (in addition to the soft-serve). It wasn't perfect - one of the ice machines was out for most of the cruise; the coffee was too weak at times. It wasn't all that difficult to find seating (except for disembarkation morning, which was predictably crowded), especially if you were willing to walk a little further and sit in La Cucina (never crowded at lunch times when I was there).

Our cabin steward made towel animals for us every night, but that's not going to make or break my cruise. It shouldn't be expected since it depends on the steward (i.e., it's not part of their assigned job duties). I don't expect to see them or make friends with them. If they are professional, courteous and efficient, I am more than satisfied.

It was my third time on the Gem. Most of the refurbishments look great. One exception might be the carpet pattern in the Spinnaker. If you look down at the carpet too much while you're walking, it could make you a bit dizzy. I would sail the Gem again in a heartbeat.