Deviation Fees

Jancruz

Bruin Steve asked:

But, it also brings up this question: Had we booked hotels through Oceania rather than on our own, would they not have had to bring us in on these very same flights...and without a deviation charge or surcharge?

My experience is that Oceania tacks on a hotel deviation charge if your hotel reservation is beyond that in the brochure (like, 2 or 3 days immediately pre- or post-cruise), even if during that period you're taking a tour they offer. Their reasoning is that the period of your stay is beyond their contractual terms with the hotel.

I think they make of the deviation rules as they go along.

We booked the hotel package but also booked a deviation for air, because they offered free air NO transfers were free even though the hotel package say you get 2. So not sure how/who gets the hotel transfer supposedly included.

We booked the hotel package but also booked a deviation for air, because they offered free air NO transfers were free even though the hotel package say you get 2. So not sure how/who gets the hotel transfer supposedly included.

On MOST cruise lines, transfers are included ONLY if you book BOTH hotel and air or bothe cruise and air (if no hotel stay) using the cruise line's choice of flights (of course, the difference with Oceania is that they seem to charge extra for transfers when you book only cruise and air with no hotels)...

The reason the transfers are not included should be fairly obvious: They put everyone on the same flight so they can pick everyone up on the same bus...Even if your flight comes in prior to or around the same time, they don't want to take the chance one of the flights is delayed...of course the delay thing makes little sense if it's the flight home--you'd think you can all get on the same bus to the airport...

Of course, when cruise lines offer 1, 2 or 3 day pre- or post-cruise hotel packages, they often don't have a busload arriving from or leaving to the airport on day 2 or day three. When we returned from Barcelona after a 2-night post-cruise, Celebrity sent a van to the hotel to pick up just us and another couple...

But, it does not surprise me when they don't make transfers available for those with deviations ...

What I found interesting is the added fare for deviations one or two days out...Wouldn't they have to put folks who have booked a hotel package on the same flights WITHOUT charging them for supplemental air costs? Or is that another part of their justification for charging $1400 a night for the hotel?

It is still hard to believe that 9+ months before the cruise a flight on Tuesday costs any more than a flight on Thursday...

Yikes....$1,400 a night is beyond my comprehension skills for a night in a hotel. I could spend that in a night in Vegas on a determined crusade to win, but for that I get more than a bed. Maybe I need to re-evaluate what the heck I am doing.

Thanks, Steve for all the good information you are providing. We all may find I am just to frugal to commit to this kind of vacation planning. :o

The reason the transfers are not included should be fairly obvious: ..

When they offer the transfers as part of the package how does it become fairly obvious and to whom???????

take a look at their website for what is included in the hotel package... for example http://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=7e8697f1-963d-4e8a-bb91-34277943f348&CruiseUID=546e1f92-68e7-40a0-bde5-4ce9c736717c

It seems like it is hit and miss with the "O" transfer thing. Some hotel packages, some air, and some cruises are offered with it and some aren't.If they offer it at an extra cost it doesn't matter which date you come in ( whether it is the day of the cruise, for the busload of people transfer) or a day or 2 or 3 ahead ( they will then send a small van for you- depending on how many people they have to pick up from the flight).

This is supposed to be how it works..

If you take a hotel package pre..the transfer from the hotel to ship is included

if you take a post the transfer from ship to hotel is included..if you take both, both are included..if it does not work that way for you..call your TA and tell her/him..

Jan

This is supposed to be how it works..

If you take a hotel package pre..the transfer from the hotel to ship is included

if you take a post the transfer from ship to hotel is included..if you take both, both are included..if it does not work that way for you..call your TA and tell her/him..

Jan

Jan

According to their brochure and website hotel packages include:

"Ground transfers to and from the airport and hotel"

"Ground transfers to and from the hotel and ship"

to me it appears if you take pre hotel PKGE you get transfers from airport to hotel and Hotel to ship

Post hotel..you get transfer from ship to hotel and hotel to airport

2 transfers in total ...

Jan

According to their brochure and website hotel packages include:

"Ground transfers to and from the airport and hotel"

"Ground transfers to and from the hotel and ship"

to me it appears if you take pre hotel PKGE you get transfers from airport to hotel and Hotel to ship

Post hotel..you get transfer from ship to hotel and hotel to airport

2 transfers in total ...

It says that...

But, I believe that they mean to imply that you get all of those transfers only when you are also on their chosen flights...

If you do your own flights or do a deviation for flights, the transfers to and from the airport won't work...They're not sending a car to the airport just for you...and you are on your own...

But, OTOH, you would think that if your deviation will either land you at the airport at the same time as everyone else...or if you're willing to return to the airport on the same post-cruise bus as everyone else, those transfers SHOULD be included...

It says that...

But, I believe that they mean to imply that you get all of those transfers only when you are also on their chosen flights...

Do you think you should get the same bus to the ship from the hotel?? Or pay extra for that even if you have the package?

No special p/u required for that

Archived