Luggage Question on Train Le Havre - Paris

esquire20

Hello, I recently purchased tickets for the SNCF 10:10 train from Le Havre to Saint Lazare Paris. We have reserved seats. my question is, will there be enough space in the train Car to accomodate our 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons ?thanks for any help. Leslie

Yes, there is room with two options. There is an overhead rack which can handle luggage that is not overly large or heavy (you have to get it up on the rack). There is also some space at the end of the cars where you can leave large pieces. I usually carry a special retractable cable lock that I use to secure luggage left at the end of cars (we can cable our luggage together and/or to a fixed item on the train. This is just extra security so nobody can run off with our luggage (it can happen in Europe).

Hank

Yes, there is room with two options. There is an overhead rack which can handle luggage that is not overly large or heavy (you have to get it up on the rack). There is also some space at the end of the cars where you can leave large pieces. I usually carry a special retractable cable lock that I use to secure luggage left at the end of cars (we can cable our luggage together and/or to a fixed item on the train. This is just extra security so nobody can run off with our luggage (it can happen in Europe).

Hank

I have followed Hank's advice on all my european train rides as you will not be able to keep an eye on your luggage all the time and wouldn't have enough time to react if something was to happen.

I just bring along my bicycle combo cable lock and use that. They cost $5.99 at Ross or Marshalls.

Just to reiterate what was already said I am providing a link to a cable luggage lock that is similar to one we have used for years. It comes in very handy for independent travelers and is very lightweight.

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Retractable-Cable/dp/B00I5IWCPA/ref=lp_2477390011_1_22?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1453133608&sr=1-22&nodeID=2477390011

As has been posted, a bicycle lock is also effective but often not as compact or light.

Hank

Just to reiterate what was already said I am providing a link to a cable luggage lock that is similar to one we have used for years. It comes in very handy for independent travelers and is very lightweight.

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Retractable-Cable/dp/B00I5IWCPA/ref=lp_2477390011_1_22?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1453133608&sr=1-22&nodeID=2477390011

As has been posted, a bicycle lock is also effective but often not as compact or light.

Hank

Thanks for the link Hank. I've personally never had any trouble with luggage on trains in Europe, but we're taking the TGV from Barcelona to Paris this summer, which is a 6.5-hour journey, and I think this is probably a good idea as we will probably be away from our seats/carriage a bit. I'm sure my paranoid mother will approve!

Just a note of caution. When we boarded the train from Paris to Barcelona (about 15 minutes before departure time) the entire luggage area at the end of our first class car was full and we had a bit of trouble fitting our two bags in. And there was nothing to attach the cable licks we brought. I sat looking back toward the luggage area during the trip to make sure no one walked off with our bags.