NCL sun flight to Antarctica?

Bootman22

My family and I are going to be on the Sun cruising out of Buenas Aires on the NCL Sun. We want to see if other people are interested in flying to Antarctica. If we can get enough people it would be a lot cheaper. We would fly out of punta arenas on April 3rd. Please let me know if you are interested. I am hoping we can get enough people to make it cost effective!

Thanks!!!!

Jim

My family and I are going to be on the Sun cruising out of Buenas Aires on the NCL Sun. We want to see if other people are interested in flying to Antarctica. If we can get enough people it would be a lot cheaper. We would fly out of punta arenas on April 3rd. Please let me know if you are interested. I am hoping we can get enough people to make it cost effective!

Thanks!!!!

Jim

I did the Antarctic excursion from NCL on my cruise. They say only 50% make it but actually it's closer to 30%.

How much have you checked out about going there independently? They're so much red tape they only allow so many people on for any given time and actually we landed on a gravel runway. It's not like booking American airlines.

I never checked anything alternative. So I am just curious

This cruise doesn't have the excursion listed as an option. I had contacted DAP airlines directly. They said the rate was $33,000 for the plane. If I could find enough people to participate, it would benefit everybody. Wishful thinking but worth a shot. Being so close to Antarctica and not being to get there would be a shame!!!

This cruise doesn't have the excursion listed as an option. I had contacted DAP airlines directly. They said the rate was $33,000 for the plane. If I could find enough people to participate, it would benefit everybody. Wishful thinking but worth a shot. Being so close to Antarctica and not being to get there would be a shame!!!

Could you please continue to provide updates on this? I'm on the cruise just before yours.... would love to do something similar. Who did you contact? What's the fall-back if they can't fly and/or land?

Thanks,

Stephen

We contacted DAP airlines in Punta Arenas. they have not specified the fallback plan but in know that they do have one based on what I have seen on other posts. they fly you to another area that is more remote within Chile. from what I can tell, the comments were that the area was nice enough but not worth the cost. I am just hoping like heck that a group is going on the Sun and want to participate!

We contacted DAP airlines in Punta Arenas. they have not specified the fallback plan but in know that they do have one based on what I have seen on other posts. they fly you to another area that is more remote within Chile. from what I can tell, the comments were that the area was nice enough but not worth the cost. I am just hoping like heck that a group is going on the Sun and want to participate!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you haven't done so already, I hope you do some significant research on the airline, this particular "flight" and the odds that you'll actually get to fly to Antarctica. See, for example, these comments about DAP and this "flight" on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297401-i9549-k4221804-Day_trip_flight_to_Antarctica-Punta_Arenas_Magallanes_Region.html

It's hard to underscore that Antarctica is not like any other place on earth and you can't just book a flight and fly over there, especially on a specific schedule. And, keep in mind, that if you do go off with DAP and somehow they can't get you back to the ship on time (a risk given weather), NCL won't be waiting for you.

If you are thinking of spending even a fraction of the amounts you've mentioned in a post above, why not consider a "drive by" cruise to Antarctica (e.g., on Celebrity). Best of all options, and I realize this is not feasible for many people, is a small-ship expedition trip where you have numerous landings on the continent. You would have an experience that you cannot even begin to imagine.

Finally, if you are trying to organize something for your cruise, the place to do that is on your Roll Call.

Edited by Turtles06

Turtles06 - thanks! I appreciate the advice on the roll call as well as the airline. I understand the overall situation and hope that we can get to Antarctica for a "real visit". in the interim though, I just want to step foot on it!

thanks again for everybody's comments!

It has been several years but here is what I recall... to the best of my memory.

It has been my dream since childhood to visit all 7 continents and all 50 US states. When I put my deposit down for my SA cruise I decided this was my opportunity to check Antarctica off my list. I never imagined how much it would cost... and I never imagined that the odds were so stacked against it even happening if I signed up for it.

When I logged on to my NCL to view excursions I thought it was a typo. After I cleaned off my computer screen, which was obviously splattered with coffee I called my brother who is my "voice of reason"... I asked him if I should do it. He said "when will you ever have this chance again? and can you afford it?"

The NCL excursion price in 2009 for the 12 hour excursion to Antarctica was $1,499.00 which included a NCL red parka. My mom says that is my most expensive jacket I ever bought.

The fine print said if the Antarctic Landing is unable to be fulfilled that the excursion would be replaced with the one to Tierra del Fuego at a cost of about $800 and the balance would be refunded.

I did a little investigating and reports stated there is a 50% chance of the Antarctic Landing happening. I came to learn differently. It is actually more like 25% - 30% for it to happen. (We later learned the cruise after ours didn't make it either.)

It is a game-day decision. There are so many factors with weather, mostly fog as the plane lands on a small, short gravel runway. We got on the bus to the Airport. They wouldn't tell us a thing. I later learned sometimes you don't know until the last minute.

We arrived at the airport and some folks had rented snow boots and such. They went and got them... what a good sign. (I had bought tons of gear that I still have and I have used.)

Our plane took off. We were served yummy food that had been catered. The flight took a few hours. When we were on the plane our guide explained that the two or three cruises before us had not been able to make it to Antarctica. But we did. Our group was split in two groups. Our group was first to go on the zodiacs to visit the penguins and the other group hiked to the Russian church and other sights. We met back at a gymnasium between tasks and had warm cocoa and a snack. It was a pretty strenuous excursion. People ask me if it is the coldest I have ever been and I tell them I have been colder at some Dallas Cowboys home games... pre-Jerry World which is enclosed.

On our plane trip back we had a wonderful meal that included Chilean sea bass and lamb. A memorable and fine meal.

I would not trade this day for anything. It was money well spent.

Oh yes, my 7 continents? I have one left to visit... Africa. On my TA from Miami to Greece we cruised by Tangiers and Casablanca and I saw the lights... but that does not count. I must stand on terra firma. My two cruises which included African itineraries have been cancelled due to unrest in Egypt. But I am contemplating a land trip to South Africa as my co-worker has in-laws there who will show me around. TMI? Sorry.

I hope you all get to experience what I did. Best of luck to you.

Edited by DMH15

I was on Sun's final cruise to SA in 2010 prior to her recent return to the southern hemisphere. I had the same reaction as Donna when I saw the price of the excursion, however, unlike her, we determined we could not afford it. Unlike her cruise, those who signed up on ours were part of the 25-50% that "got" to go to Torres del Paine. From talking with fellow roll callers, they said Torres was beautiful but they wouldn't have paid the price (I think it was $1,000) that they did for the jacket (you get it whether you get to the south pole or not) and the day in Chile. So in the end, DH and I were happy we had decided it wasn't affordable for us...because once you sign up for the Antarctica excursion you are committed to going either there or to the alternative.

Good luck!

I was on Sun's final cruise to SA in 2010 prior to her recent return to the southern hemisphere. I had the same reaction as Donna when I saw the price of the excursion, however, unlike her, we determined we could not afford it. Unlike her cruise, those who signed up on ours were part of the 25-50% that "got" to go to Torres del Paine. From talking with fellow roll callers, they said Torres was beautiful but they wouldn't have paid the price (I think it was $1,000) that they did for the jacket (you get it whether you get to the south pole or not) and the day in Chile. So in the end, DH and I were happy we had decided it wasn't affordable for us...because once you sign up for the Antarctica excursion you are committed to going either there or to the alternative.

Good luck!

Clay, I only had to come up with one fare. It would have been double for you and Mike. And that is the cost of another cruise. :)

Is Torres del Paine and Tierra del Fuego the same or did I just mess that up completely?

I think you messed it up. Torres Del Paine is a national park. Tierra delFuego is the "land of Fire" ...here is the Wikipedia definition:

Tierra del Fuego is an archipelago at South America’s southernmost tip, shared by Chile and Argentina. It’s known for its dramatic landscape of snowy mountains, glaciers, tundra and wind-sculpted trees. Its main island, Isla Grande, is home to the Argentine resort town of Ushuaia. Sometimes called “the End of the World,” Ushuaia is a gateway to the region and Antarctica to the south.

I'm on the Jan 30th sailing and really wanted to do this excursion. The price was $3,100 per person before NCL pulled it. I've called several times to find out what was up. The first time NCL Shore Excursions told me that the runway needed to be repaired. The second time, they said the excursion was not being offered. I'm really disappointed, but do not want to do the $1,150 park excursion instead and do not want to risk missing the ship.

The reviews of sights in Punta Arenas are not real postive. We are there for 12 hours - any ideas other than the penguins on Magdalena Island? Last Sun cruise that excursion was cancelled due to high seas.

I think you messed it up. Torres Del Paine is a national park. Tierra delFuego is the "land of Fire" ...here is the Wikipedia definition:

Tierra del Fuego is an archipelago at South America’s southernmost tip, shared by Chile and Argentina. It’s known for its dramatic landscape of snowy mountains, glaciers, tundra and wind-sculpted trees. Its main island, Isla Grande, is home to the Argentine resort town of Ushuaia. Sometimes called “the End of the World,” Ushuaia is a gateway to the region and Antarctica to the south.

My apologies to all if I quoted the wrong replacement. I trust Clay is correct.

I'm on the Jan 30th sailing and really wanted to do this excursion. The price was $3,100 per person before NCL pulled it. I've called several times to find out what was up. The first time NCL Shore Excursions told me that the runway needed to be repaired. The second time, they said the excursion was not being offered. I'm really disappointed, but do not want to do the $1,150 park excursion instead and do not want to risk missing the ship.

The reviews of sights in Punta Arenas are not real postive. We are there for 12 hours - any ideas other than the penguins on Magdalena Island? Last Sun cruise that excursion was cancelled due to high seas.

That is a bummer.

I do remember returning to the ship with friends on the Antartctic excursion. Weather was ok but quickly changed. My Poor mother who was not on the excursion with me, due to her advanced age, had gone out on her own. She returned later than I did and she got caught in a horrible storm. We watched from our aff verandah seeing the tenders had a horrible time. So I think that area is pretty unpredictable as far as weather goes.

I don't know if NCL offers this Excursion, because we were in SA with an other cruiseline but we did pinguins in the Otway bay and it was fantastic. There is a 1 mile walk to the beach with the pinguins, flowers are growing, the Andes in the background. Really a great Scenery.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Ports of Call/South America board.