Bringing Alcohol on NCL ship

las52

Thanks for the info guys. Really glad to hear about the soda and the water. Didn't know how much beer was on board, but that seems very reasonable, so will just skip the beer. How do you guys know all this?

Thanks again. :)

We want to brinf a bottle of liquor to friends in Jamaica. Eaven if they confiscate it ,will they let us take it ashore in Jamaica? How can we get around this problem. Should we contact Ncl before to ask them???

Please , advise us,wtha would be the best way:confused:

Anne-Mai

how about just mailing it to them?

I was on the Dawn a few weeks ago and had a bottle of whiskey and a bottle of vodka in my suitcase. It was held, and when I went to claim it I was asked if I had anything. I said - "Yes, one bottle" and I reached in and grabbed one of them then zipped the suitcase shut and took it off the table. They said nothing nor asked to through the suitcase themselves.

So an idea might be to buy a really cheap bottle of something to hand over if your bag gets caught so the good stuff can slip through.

And the liquor they do take does NOT get delivered to your cabin at any point - You have to pick it up 8am the morning of disembarkation or they KEEP IT.
When did this happen to you? We didn't have to pick it up, it was delivered late the afternoon prior to disembarkation. The booze we purchased in the gift shop we did have to pick up. NMNita

So, what happens to your carry-on booze on those four listed cruise lines? They don't allow it, but there is no confiscation policy. In fact, they don't even search, or care. From experience (HAL), and reading other boards, I know, they "allow" you to bring it aboard since there is no recourse for them to do otherwise without such a policy.

HAL may not have indicated to Cruise Critic that they have a confiscation policy, but they sure do!

We were Trans-Atlantic on the “Westerdam” this past November & purchased a bottle of Brandy & several bottles of wine in the Canary Islands..The Brandy & wine was in the bottom of my bag with several other purchases.. When we re-boarded the ship & put my bag through HAL’s security, they pulled it out to be searched & confiscated the Brandy,:( but not the wine.. The HAL Officer told me their policy was to confiscate "hard liquor".. They gave me a receipt for the Brandy & delivered it to our cabin the night before we arrived in Fort Lauderdale

I noticed other passengers who boarded with “Hard Liquor” also had it confiscated, but they were permitted to keep their wine...

• 1 month later...

"Bar service 1-866-625-1159 - $40/$55 depending on brand"

Well haven't you been helpful!?! I just called and flat-out asked them if it were true that they can deliver a pre-ordered bottle to my cabin, and the answer was, sure enough...YES!"

The procedure is to fax them your order with your reservation and confirmation #'s. The fax # is 305-436-4147. How cool is that!?!?

Thanks ShoreGuy!

Well I just called and ordered a bottle to be delivered to my cabin a couple days ago. It didn't seem like any big deal. However, the charge hasn't shown up on my credit card account yet, while the amount for the other amenities I ordered shortly after that via another NCL number were placed on hold immediately and are now on my card. The only receipt I received also did not show the liquor. I'll have to check again in a couple days and then call ncl back and verify the order.

When you order a bar set from NCL they are 750ml not full liters

Not always. The Bicardi I ordered was a full liter. It doesn't show up on your charge card until a couple of days before you sail. (Unlike pre-ordered wine.)

I have only been on 2 ncl cruises but found the food too be great. I ate in a specialty resteraunt one night and really enjoyed it. Other than that i found the variety of food good. I was on the Majesty and found the italian resteraunt a great change of pace with good food. Cant wait until summer for my next cruise.

Hi gang, So what do the x-ray machines "look" for? The liquid or the shape?

We were on the 11/1/05 Star sailing. We had a medium bottle of Vodka and 2 big les of TGIF Mudslides which are premixed drinks. The bag with the vodka made it to the room. But the two bags witht he mudslides were held up by the ship. We had a notice to go to library between 5 and 7 to open our bags.

On the way there we had at least 8 people on the pool deck trying to sell us drinks. When we got to the line, there were maybe 50 people in front of us. It turned out to be a great time witherybody joking and disussing the event unfolding in front of us. While in line a fellow came by and handed out coupons for a free liqour tasting event that evening.

Well that brought out the laughs and word was passed around that the confiscated liqour was being used in tasting event.

Each person was taken in and asked to pick out their bag or bags. My wife and I got the two bags and a young fellow with rubber gloves on asked us to open the first bag. I told him we had a bottle of mudslides and would pay the corking fee. I took the bottle out and gave it to him. He asked what it was and I told him it was a mixed drink with very little alcohol in it. He took the bottle over to an older fellow who studied the label and came back to us with it. He handed it to me and said it was ok. I said there was another bottle in the other bag and he waved at us and said it was ok to go. So, we grabbed our stuff and got out of there.

The people next to us had a liter bottle of seven up that was being looked at. Not sure what happend there. But we also saw some pint size flasks being taken. Another girls bag was searched and only turned up a hair dryer they think caused her bag to be held.

So, not sure if there is a correct way to pack. But if they get your bag, it will turn into a fun evening and you will get your stuff back on the last night.

Hope this helps.

Not always on the last night. On the Majesty returning from Carib few weeks ago, it was 6 AM of last day. The line to pick up was very looong and moved very, very slowly. Most of the people on line were picking up large number of bottles bought mostly at St Thomas where prices are very low. Some had so much that they were packing it into large rolling suitcases. Hope they all got off the ship before it sailed to Bermuda.

majesty is the 1st ship i have been on where u had 2 pick up purchased liquor. every other ship they brought it 2 your cabin last day. on majesty u picked it up @7am morning of debarkation. certainly makes 4 confusion.

On the 11/13-11/20 Sun sailing you had to pickup liquor the last day from 6:45-9:00 AM.

The shape of the bottle mostly. Glass will show up better on the monitors than liquids. X-Ray machines with color monitors might be able to pick up liquids.

This may be why my friends and I were able to get ours onboard. We were able to get about 30 miniatures (plastic bottles w/ metal caps) onboard.

If you really want to get tricky, you can get the "bladders" from the wine boxes on e-bay, fill them, and they are about invisible on the xray.
Hi - has anyone got proof that they have 'made it through' the security checks with the 'bladders from the cartons of wine [wine boxes]?!?!

Archived