Cancelled cruise that was paid in full. NO Points?

sparkinator

Cancel for any reason insurance isn't free. Not sure if it would be worth the cost of purposely booking, paying in full, then canceling a trip to get a few lattitude points. That'[s just me.

AFAIK...."Cancel for any reason" means that you need a reason....such as an illness, weather prohibited flying etc. You can't just say "I changed my mind".

At least, when I had it you needed a valid reason.

Never give up, Ump. Keep working on those skills! You're sure to catch on one day. I've got faith in you, and it's really not that hard. You inquire about cruise incidents on a cruise forum, if you want opinions of people that are likely to have had similar experience. Or you could stand out the highway and call out to any passersby that may be within earshot. Whatever works for you. :D

Oops look who's lost their sense of humour. You asked for a clarification on a cruise forum after admitting you knew the rules of accumulating Latitude points. Yet you decided to post your question here and apparently you don't seem to like the the correct answer given.

Last I heard, NCL does not post a poll here or any other cruise forum when deciding what their operating policies should or shouldn't be. You clearly knew the consequences of cancelling your cruise so close to departure and I'm truly sorry that it was because of a Family situation.

Unfortunately, as you have stated, you didn't purchase any Insurance as many including myself have done in the past. So now, because NCL now has your $ you feel entitled to receive the Latitude points?, yet you have clearly stated in your post that you understand why they will not!

Ok I'll agree that YES you should get the points for now. But let me ask if you would still feel the same way... If you had purchased insurance & you were reimbursed all if not most of your monies via the Insurer. Would you still feel that NCL has to apply the points to your Latitude Account ?

Based on your original question, I know what your reply will be. It's a shame.

If anyone can shed any light on the reasoning behind it

Another poster already said it. NCL didn't make any money off you.

There's a CNBC documentary called Cruise Inc. Big Money on the High Seas. I watched it a couple years ago. It was based mostly on the Norwegian Epic if I remember right. Somewhere in there, they said that even at 100% occupancy (considered all rooms filled with 2 people), that they lose money. They depend on the onboard purchases to make a profit.

If people booked a cruise, bought Inurance and then purposely canceled just to get points… I would consider that Insurance fraud.

Harriet

Ummm...who in their right mind would go to all that trouble and pay for insurance just to get points???? No chocolate on my pillow or ship pin would be worth the costs of insurance.

Ummm...who in their right mind would go to all that trouble and pay for insurance just to get points???? No chocolate on my pillow or ship pin would be worth the costs of insurance.

Nobody would.

The problem is that people are trying to explain a decision that was made in a different set of circumstances (I.e. Flights and hotels) and apply it to cruises. It doesn't work.

The logic behind the policy is nothing to do with NCL. They are just following the conclusions reached by others.

Due to cruise tomorrow. We had to cancel due to a family member being sick. We didn't have cruise insurance, so I knew my money was gone. I accept and understand that. No problem. But I was just informed we don't get any points either, even though NCL is paid if full for the cruise.

I understand you don't get points until after the cruise, and we aren't going, but NCL gets their money, so why not give me the points? What am I missing?

If your not on the ship why would you get points. The points come from how many days your on the water not on the land with a canceled cruise. I would be more angry that I did not get my money back and who cares about the points . Unless your some one who really looks forward to some free fruit and and a laundry bag.