Cancelled cruise that was paid in full. NO Points?

sparkinator

I don't get the logic of this...since they had my $$$.

The logic is quite simple, but it's nothing to do with cruising.

Loyalty schemes typically reward people in two ways. You get points for status, which give you perks and you also get points which you can spend on future stays/flights etc.

It is the status points which give the airlines or hotels a problem. As people have said above, the perks of having a high status can be considerable. For example, I am gold with Hilton and this means that every time we stay at a Hilton we get free breakfast. We often get upgraded and get free drinks or access to the executive lounge. At a rough estimate these perks are worth about £600 ($900) a year to us.

Status is based on the number of stays. When the hotels offer cheap rates, some people specifically book and stay at these rates in order to get status. It's the same with airlines (people do what is called a "tier point run" to get status points on cheap flights that gain lots of points).

The problem with this is that if people don't actually stay the nights or take the flights then the hotels and airlines lose out on the incidental spend that these people may have made. The airlines and hotels don't mind people booking the flights and stays, but they do want them to actually use it. Therefore, pretty well every loyalty scheme that I have ever come across required the person to actually stay in the hotel or take the flight in order to get the points.

The logic to get to this position doesn't apply all that much to cruises as the perks of status are generally nothing like enough to make it worth booking cruises and not actually taking the cruise, but all NCL are doing is following the generally accepted policy for loyalty schemes. As it is (marginally) better for them to do that because, for example, your free meals etc will be delayed by a cruise, it would be an odd decision for them to buck the trend.

Due to cruise tomorrow. We had to cancel due to a family member being sick. We didn't have cruise insurance, so I knew my money was gone. I accept and understand that. No problem. But I was just informed we don't get any points either, even though NCL is paid if full for the cruise.

I understand you don't get points until after the cruise, and we aren't going, but NCL gets their money, so why not give me the points? What am I missing?

You get points for cruising, not for paying for a cruise.

You get points for cruising, not for paying for a cruise.

Ooooh, thanks, Captain Obvious.

Did you read the thread before you posted in it? This has been posted several times already. Again, I know the policy, just asking for clarification on the reasoning behind it.

Those points actually are worth something. :D

I once needed four stays to upgrade my tier status at Hilton. I booked every Wednesday night for a month in the off season at a great price at a local Hampton (used my corporate rate for $45 per night). I would stop by after work, check-in and go home. But I had to check in.

Now I get free upgrades, free internet, free executive lounge, 25% extra points and free breakfast with every stay. Well worth it in my opinion.

Edited by Jane Don

Did you read the thread before you posted in it? This has been posted several times already. Again, I know the policy, just asking for clarification on the reasoning behind it.

Here's the point we are both missing:

Neither of us is into "scheming".

The policy is to prevent people from "working the system".

If you only make it for part of the cruise (for example miss the ship the first day and catch up later, or leave the cruise early for whatever reason), do you still get points for the whole cruise? Does anyone know from experience? I have a feeling that their system is not really that sophisticated, and if you check in at any time during the cruise, you get the points (for the whole cruise). If you are a total no show, you get nothing (sorry for restating the obvious :D).

If you only make it for part of the cruise (for example miss the ship the first day and catch up later, or leave the cruise early for whatever reason), do you still get points for the whole cruise? Does anyone know from experience? I have a feeling that their system is not really that sophisticated, and if you check in at any time during the cruise, you get the points (for the whole cruise). If you are a total no show, you get nothing (sorry for restating the obvious :D).

I'd agree with you. I doubt the system is that sophisticated. I can't imagine the time and cost involved in getting the system to deal with that is worth investing in.

One issue to consider - if you cancel, and they resell your cabin, then they would be giving double points if you got yours, because the replacement passengers would get theirs, as well.

Points are based on travel, not payments. So, as others have said, no travel, no points.

If points were awarded based on payment then people with kids or taking family on vacation would accrue points. Should People who pay for a wedding on board get points for all their guests or should their guests who sailed get the points? How do you draw the line?

In your case having to cancel the day before and knowing I wouldn't get any refund, I wouldn't have cancelled, I'd have been a no show.

Due to cruise tomorrow. We had to cancel due to a family member being sick. We didn't have cruise insurance, so I knew my money was gone. I accept and understand that. No problem. But I was just informed we don't get any points either, even though NCL is paid if full for the cruise.

I understand you don't get points until after the cruise, and we aren't going, but NCL gets their money, so why not give me the points? What am I missing?

Fight for those credits. This has come up on other boards. If you are persistent, you should get the exception.

OP, I haven't read all of the responses but will say that I know that the airline miles programs and hotel rewards programs (and the other cruise line loyalty program that I currently belong to) all have the same or similar rule- you have to fly or stay in the hotel or take the cruise in order to earn the points. Not sure that I can articulate the reasoning behind the rule, but at least it's consistent across numerous companies.

My sister and I had to leave 2 days early due to me being admitted to hospital. We were credited the full points (9 points) although we were only on board for 7 nights (7 points). So, it seems that if you board you get the full points entitlement whatever happens.

Since the loyalty program is reasonably comparable to an airline loyalty program, the reason you have to actually travel, is to prevent people from bargain-shopping flights and simply buying their way into the highest tier, without ever using the airline.

That means the seat can't be sold for a higher rate to somebody else, who might order a chocolate bar, or check their luggage....etc.

The perks on an airline's highest tier can be worth thousands (upgrades, etc.) and they're meant to reward those who actually spend time in the air.

As NCL's reward those who are at sea.

Actually, many (all?) airline rewards program do NOT require any flight at all.

Just use the airline-linked charge card and go on some spending sprees.

DH has elite status for life on one airline, only from charging a few years of extensive business travel.

(A relatively tiny percentage of those points was from actual travel on that airline.)

And we get to use those points (from spending, not just miles traveled) for airline reward upgrades and tickets.

Further, at least one airline has announced new policies in terms of "how points/miles are accumulated", and it will now emphasize "money spent/price paid for trips" and less so for actual "miles flown".

Who knows if it is "fair" - it's *their* policy, etc.

And we are among those with a last minute NCL cancellation... and no points.

But thank goodness for the insurance (which also covered long haul business class travel).

LMAO !! what did you expect when posting a question like that here !

What I don't understand is why even bother asking a policy question here in CC. All that is offered here are opinion's based on the replies so far, if you need a Clarification on NCL's Policy concerning your issue why don't you ask Norwegian ?

Coming here looking for clarification on any NCL policy is akin to going to your auto mechanic seeking advise on having plastic surgery.

Best of luck seeking an answer, let us know how you make out please.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Could be.

I think some of those insurances are cancel for any reason, but fraud could come into play on some, if used for cash advantage.

Cancel for any reason insurance isn't free. Not sure if it would be worth the cost of purposely booking, paying in full, then canceling a trip to get a few lattitude points. That'[s just me.

Actually, many (all?) airline rewards program do NOT require any flight at all.

Just use the airline-linked charge card and go on some spending sprees.

DH has elite status for life on one airline, only from charging a few years of extensive business travel.

(A relatively tiny percentage of those points was from actual travel on that airline.)

And we get to use those points (from spending, not just miles traveled) for airline reward upgrades and tickets.

Further, at least one airline has announced new policies in terms of "how points/miles are accumulated", and it will now emphasize "money spent/price paid for trips" and less so for actual "miles flown".

Who knows if it is "fair" - it's *their* policy, etc.

And we are among those with a last minute NCL cancellation... and no points.

But thank goodness for the insurance (which also covered long haul business class travel).

You're referrring to reward points, NOT status points. Two different banks of accumulation.

Yes, you can accumulate and redeem points via your credit card for free flights.

You cannot earn invites to exclusive parties, pre-boarding, upgrades to 1st, lounge access and all of the other perks of being Elite, without flying. I've spent my years of 100k miles in the air....it would be great to just be able to 'buy' that status. But given the number of people who do year-end "mileage runs", I believe it cannot be done.

Stephen

You're referrring to reward points, NOT status points. Two different banks of accumulation.

Yes, you can accumulate and redeem points via your credit card for free flights.

You cannot earn invites to exclusive parties, pre-boarding, upgrades to 1st, lounge access and all of the other perks of being Elite, without flying. I've spent my years of 100k miles in the air....it would be great to just be able to 'buy' that status. But given the number of people who do year-end "mileage runs", I believe it cannot be done.

Stephen

It is actually possible to get status from other means. Credit cards are a way. Hotel status is often given away with credit cards, and I'm pretty sure that airline status has been with some (Amex platinum for example).

However, this is all irrelevant for the purposes of the discussion in this thread. Many people choose to top up their status by tier point runs or cheap hotel stays. The airlines and hotels recognise this and have no problem with it, as long as people actually stay or fly, so don't give any rewards unless the night is stayed or the flight is taken. That has become the standard and I'm pretty well certain that the NCL decision to require the same is nothing more than them following that standard.

Edited by KeithJenner

LMAO !! what did you expect when posting a question like that here !

What I don't understand is why even bother asking a policy question here in CC. All that is offered here are opinion's based on the replies so far, if you need a Clarification on NCL's Policy concerning your issue why don't you ask Norwegian ?

Coming here looking for clarification on any NCL policy is akin to going to your auto mechanic seeking advise on having plastic surgery.

Best of luck seeking an answer, let us know how you make out please.

Thanks Ump

I will be contacting NCL again for clarification this week. I've already spoken with them once, and have shared the outcome of that conversation. I will definitely post the outcome after further conversations.

As far as posting here for clarification until I can get more information from NCL, I think this thread has served its purpose. Many of the replies have been insightful, and the knowledge of many have shed some light on why these policies are in place, which is what I was seeking in the first place. The posts of "it's just policy" etc. sheds light on how those posters have such a high post count. Not adding anything to the discussion, just adding their 2 cents, without even that much worth, because they are just a necessary distraction in an open forum.

As far as asking for clarification on NCL's policy, for the 3rd of 4th time, I'm clear on the policy. I understand it completely, just asking for the reasoning behind it. If anyone can shed any light on the reasoning behind it. And why not ask on cruise critic? Isn't that one of the reasons for having this forum? Asking what others have experienced while cruising, or insight from other experiences to shed light on this policy.

There have been over a thousand clicks on this thread, so I think it is of interest to more than a few on CC. Also, on the 3rd page of replies, with others sharing similar experiences as well. I doubt it would have generated that kind of responses or traffic if placed on a car repair or healthcare forum. :p

Thanks again, and you really need to work on your analogy skills. :D

Cancel for any reason insurance isn't free. Not sure if it would be worth the cost of purposely booking, paying in full, then canceling a trip to get a few lattitude points. That'[s just me.

I don't see how that would work out either. That would be paying a hefty price for some points that aren't very valuable.

Thanks Ump

I will be contacting NCL again for clarification this week. I've already spoken with them once, and have shared the outcome of that conversation. I will definitely post the outcome after further conversations.

As far as posting here for clarification until I can get more information from NCL, I think this thread has served its purpose. Many of the replies have been insightful, and the knowledge of many have shed some light on why these policies are in place, which is what I was seeking in the first place. The posts of "it's just policy" etc. sheds light on how those posters have such a high post count. Not adding anything to the discussion, just adding their 2 cents, without even that much worth, because they are just a necessary distraction in an open forum.

As far as asking for clarification on NCL's policy, for the 3rd of 4th time, I'm clear on the policy. I understand it completely, just asking for the reasoning behind it. If anyone can shed any light on the reasoning behind it. And why not ask on cruise critic? Isn't that one of the reasons for having this forum? Asking what others have experienced while cruising, or insight from other experiences to shed light on this policy.

There have been over a thousand clicks on this thread, so I think it is of interest to more than a few on CC. Also, on the 3rd page of replies, with others sharing similar experiences as well. I doubt it would have generated that kind of responses or traffic if placed on a car repair or healthcare forum. :p

Thanks again, and you really need to work on your analogy skills. :D

Have an appointment for a Tune up this week for my vehicle, will ask for a proper Analogy Response from the Tire Air Pressure Tech there. he should know..............;) :rolleyes: ;) !

Have an appointment for a Tune up this week for my vehicle, will ask for a proper Analogy Response from the Tire Air Pressure Tech there. he should know..............;) :rolleyes: ;) !

Never give up, Ump. Keep working on those skills! You're sure to catch on one day. I've got faith in you, and it's really not that hard. You inquire about cruise incidents on a cruise forum, if you want opinions of people that are likely to have had similar experience. Or you could stand out the highway and call out to any passersby that may be within earshot. Whatever works for you. :D

Stephen

First, as I mentioned, DH certainly did qualify for lifetime elite status (including the perks you mention, for example) by virtue of his *spending* on an airline linked charge card - NOT his "miles flown", which were miniscule in comparison. Yes, he did fly also, but that didn't get him anything extra beyond what he got from the spending total.

(7 digits of spending - and thus millions of 'award points' - gets a LOT of perks. He was fortunate to be able to bill all business travel, including weeks and weeks and yet more weeks in top hotels, to our personal card, during a few years of very intensive travel. And for a while we also charged almost everything else to that same card, until he got to this level. And I now benefit, too.)

His "miles flown" would have gotten him a... little bag of pretzels on board or some such :D

We responded to someone else's comparison of NCL latitudes points with airline rewards:

Since the loyalty program is reasonably comparable to an airline loyalty program, the reason you have to actually travel, is to prevent people from bargain-shopping flights and simply buying their way into the highest tier, without ever using the airline.

That means the seat can't be sold for a higher rate to somebody else, who might order a chocolate bar, or check their luggage....etc.

The perks on an airline's highest tier can be worth thousands (upgrades, etc.) and they're meant to reward those who actually spend time in the air.

As NCL's reward those who are at sea.

We agree they aren't the same, and there aren't good parallels in how they are earned (it's not "per flight", for example, or "per day of travel", like the "per night sailed" on NCL).

They have a system for that, the NCL credit card. You can run all that spending through it and pick up perks if you want (different perks, but still).. Part of the issue is they have effectively two separate loyalty programs..

If points were awarded based on payment then people with kids or taking family on vacation would accrue points. Should People who pay for a wedding on board get points for all their guests or should their guests who sailed get the points? How do you draw the line?

In your case having to cancel the day before and knowing I wouldn't get any refund, I wouldn't have cancelled, I'd have been a no show.