Post Cruise Options- disembark Miami, late flight out of FLL

eden1127

Myself, my DH, my parents and 2 kids, aged 8 & 11, will disembark our ship in Miami. Out Flight doesn't leave until 4:30 out of Ft. Lauderdale. Normally, we'd just hang out and people watch in the airport until the flight leaves, but we've got the kids with us this time! Any suggestions for what we can do in the meantime? So far we've heard of folks getting a "day room" to dump their luggage in and chill on a beach, but that seems expensive for only a few hours! And others have mentioned renting a car for the day, but with 6 people is this even possible for all of us? Prob just as costly?

I would rent a car for the day. Yes, you can get an SUV or something similar that will fit you all.

Drive up to FTL and you can spend the day Downtown. The kids might like the Science and Discovery museum, then you could have lunch along Las Olas. Or you could go to the beach, maybe visit the Bonnet House and see the monkeys, or take one of the tour boats out.

I am leaving from MIA port to Ft. Lauderdale for a 6 PM fly. Taking a tour of the Everglades thru NCL. Picks up at port, goes to Everglades, alligator show, etc and drops off, with your luggage, at FtL. Think I paid $ 70 bucks each . Looking forward to tour. It's available on the NCL site. Happy Trails!

I would rent a car for the day. Yes, you can get an SUV or something similar that will fit you all.

Drive up to FTL and you can spend the day Downtown. The kids might like the Science and Discovery museum, then you could have lunch along Las Olas. Or you could go to the beach, maybe visit the Bonnet House and see the monkeys, or take one of the tour boats out.

One advantage of this method is that you can rent a car at Miami International and return it to FLL without any extra "drop off" fee (at least with National). And they will pick you up at the port and take you to the rental car agency at MIA.

We did this a few years ago. As long as you have the print out of the car reservation at MIA they will let you board the shuttle bus from the port to the airport. We were on the road really quickly, and actually went down the Florida Keys a bit, then drove around. It was a lot more fun than people watching at the airport for us!

For a 4:30 flight, I would want to be at the airport by about 2:30ish. So if you have a slow breakfast on the ship and not exit until 9:30 or so, get bags and through security by 10, that does not leave all that much time to sight see and still get to FLL. At least that's my thoughts on it.

I don't know if anyone in your group has a membership to Costco. But, I just rented a van through Costco for our post cruise 1 night stay in Miami and it was $50. Good thing with renting through them is that you can always pick up and drop off in a different place for no additional fee. I would think that your transportation cost from Miami to FLL would be at least $50, probably more. Have a great trip!