Crystal Cruises cancels Istanbul and Turkish Ports - Will Seabourn do the same?

dafne

I just sent an email to my TA to see if she can put out her feelers to Seabourn to get a sense of what, if anything, they are going to do in light of this recent tragic incident.

And did they reply? I thought about doing something similar but presumed I'd get a corporate non-answer saying that nothing has changed, the ports are currently scheduled to go ahead and they will continue to monitor the situation, for the safety of the guests and ship.

I am afraid they did respond with the party line -- at present they are not making any changes. I am not really surprised. They can't announce a change until they have all of the alternative plans in place and at this late date that has to be a huge logistical nightmare. Frankly I am just hoping that because changing the schedule -- especially the port of embarkation or debarkation -- would be so complicated they will leave the schedule as is. I am sure my TA will keep on top of this matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering whether there was any additional news from SB with re: to Turkish ports following the US gov's forced evacuation of military dependents.

I realize that these are primarily in southern Turkey but certainly it adds t a sense of danger.

I was wondering whether there was any additional news from SB with re: to Turkish ports following the US gov's forced evacuation of military dependents.

I realize that these are primarily in southern Turkey but certainly it adds t a sense of danger.

No - there is still no change from Seabourn for any Turkish ports at this point. Southern Turkey near the border is not a very safe place and the State Department and FCO have travel advisories for that area, but the majority of Turkey remains as safe as other places in Europe right now. 'As safe as other places in Europe' may not feel reassuring, given the events in Paris and Brussels but objectively Europe is safe.

Turkish tourism is down 10% this year. The people in Turkey are wonderful, they're suffering because of these idiots, book a cruise, visit Turkey and enjoy it. The best way to beat terrorists is to be tourists.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately there was another bombing in Istanbul this morning! Terrible for the victims and their relatives.

I can imagine that Seabourn (or any other line that still stops in Istanbul) is closely looking at this situation again. Our cruise leaves in 3,5 weeks from Istanbul and I keep my fingers crossed they're not making any changes.

Have just looked at alternative flights to and hotels in Athens, in case they decide to move, and everything seems to go at a premium there. This would turn out to be a very costly logistical nightmare for us. We've planned 2 nights in Istanbul without lots of sightseeing, as we've been several times before and really don't mind to relax at the pool for a day.

They caught a man with a huge arsenal of weapons which they think he was going to use at the Euros http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36460569

But I bet everyone still goes to watch the football despite the floods and the strikes and the refugee camps and the terrorists.

This attack was apparently targeting a police bus not tourists. Sadly this sort of thing is a part of life nowadays - there are idiots everywhere waiting for their 5 minutes of fame and as I have said before, we either cower in a corner and let them win or get on with life. So I'm with you MOZBOB - just leave things as they are as the logistics of changing will be horrific and who is to say Athens is any safer?

"Never believe everything you read on the internet"

-- Abraham Lincoln, 1955

I think the guy I quoted was more of an arms runner but someone, somewhere was going to use the weapons he was bringing into France. However, floods, strikes, refugee camps and terrorists are all very much in existence!

My point is - it's pointless everyone panicking about Turkey as attacks can happen anywhere as you and we and gay Paris can all attest to. :(

We recently left Istanbul and I am distressed about the recent attack. But even given that wrestle I going there next week I would not change my plans. I have discussed the recent attack with some if the Turkish tee on board -- including our Sommelier-- and they assure me this police attack was west of the Sultanahmet or Old City where most tourists hang out. Each to make his own decisions according to your comfort level.

Should read "wrestle " should be "were" and "tee" should be "crew"-- and yes, I am by the Sky Bar enjoying s lovely Provence Rose ( or two [emoji108]🏻)

:D

Quite appropriate that the grin is green. Not that I'm jealous.;)

Glad to hear they're still offering that Provence rose.

Ravenscroft

You are too kind.

Just found out they are expecting a big shipment of the Provence rose tomorrow as James the bartender has informed us we are down to the last bottle. So assuming our substitute Athens port call is not a disaster we will be in good shape tomorrow night. [emoji485]I do feel for those embarking/disembarking tomorrow!

Ravenscroft

You are too kind.

Just found out they are expecting a big shipment of the Provence rose tomorrow as James the bartender has informed us we are down to the last bottle. So assuming our substitute Athens port call is not a disaster we will be in good shape tomorrow night. [emoji485]I do feel for those embarking/disembarking tomorrow!

Do they still do the same tours or will you just stay on board?

Stamfordian -- as you won't believe me anyway I shall respectfully ignore your question!!!

Jozi

They are running a shuttle bus into town for in-transit passengers such as ourselves and to the port of Piraeus for departing ones. But as we have been to Athens numerous times since it is such a short day we passed and are wandering around the little rather sad port town of Lavrion. Really a one hour bus ride in each direction for three hours in the city was less appealing.

How many was that?

Is that Irish James who has been on Odyssey for a few seasons now?

Ah... my favorite Seabourn bartender?

Chairsin... will you ask James when he's due for vacation? I hope he's on Odyssey when I board on 10/29.

He leaves with Mimi early September. He is still recovering from yesterday's big B'day. But he has made a nice pitcher of sangria for tomorrow-- we had a preliminary sip and will gather others to test the final product after our return visit to Monemvasia.

He leaves with Mimi early September. He is still recovering from yesterday's big B'day. But he has made a nice pitcher of sangria for tomorrow-- we had a preliminary sip and will gather others to test the final product after our return visit to Monemvasia.

So which big birthday? And is it James the big Irish bar waiter?

Stamfordian -- as you won't believe me anyway I shall respectfully ignore your question!!!

Jozi

They are running a shuttle bus into town for in-transit passengers such as ourselves and to the port of Piraeus for departing ones. But as we have been to Athens numerous times since it is such a short day we passed and are wandering around the little rather sad port town of Lavrion. Really a one hour bus ride in each direction for three hours in the city was less appealing.

Thanks, Chairsin! We're probably going to do a quick Acropolis tour from wherever the ship docks in that area since 3/4 of our party has never been and, well, Nixon was still president when i was there. We're going to worry about Air France strike for now.