Advice please: Port or Starboard on the Amsterdam?

IPB4IGO

We are probably going on the September 30, 2016 48-day "Tales of the South Pacific" cruise on the MS Amsterdam. We plan on getting a verandah suite (deck 6), mid-ship.

On the few cruises we have taken in the past, we have had starboard-side cabins and enjoyed looking out at the port and dock from our cabin.

Is there any reason to prefer a port-side cabin? This cruise will have many ports at which we will be tendered ashore, so there won't be a dock to view from either side.

Thanks!

The side the ship docks on is not the same every port, cruise or day. It is not predictable in most locations. So I wouldn't book a side of the ship for the docking side.

There are very few places where side of the ship matter for more than a few minutes. One of those special places is Venice. Otherwise I wouldn't book the side of the ship specifically for views.

Your cruise is long, with lots of sea days. i don't any plus or minus to either side of the ship.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I'd look at what's underneath the rooms you are interested in to see what noise you might have to deal with. Looks like your deck of choice is above the public spaces of upper Promenade deck, at least the rooms that start with "6" are on Verandah deck. m--

We did this cruise last year and had a deck 6 port side cabin - we loved it. While there are no guarantees on which side the ship will dock, it worked out well for us last year. There are many tender ports of call as well.

Bruce

We are probably going on the September 30, 2016 48-day "Tales of the South Pacific" cruise on the MS Amsterdam. We plan on getting a verandah suite (deck 6), mid-ship.

On the few cruises we have taken in the past, we have had starboard-side cabins and enjoyed looking out at the port and dock from our cabin.

Is there any reason to prefer a port-side cabin? This cruise will have many ports at which we will be tendered ashore, so there won't be a dock to view from either side.

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I have no idea which side of the ship would be the best but we will be on this cruise! We have a Port ocean view cabin. Please join our roll call if you decide to book the cruise.

Link to the Roll Call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2242664

Cheers, Denise