Copenhagen

Grateful Reader

Thank you for this post. Great information.

I'm sorry to hear Divan 2 is gone. I have great memories from some lovely evenings there. I remember a restaurant, St. Gertrude's Closter in a former monastery and wonder if that is still there/good?

Everything is pricey in Copenhagen but well worth it, IMO.

St. Gertrude's Kloster is now a nightclub. So it does not exist anymore as well. But there are many other good restaurants in Copenhagen.

The dollar is right expensive right now towards the Danish krone, so you might find, that you get more value for your Money in Copenhagen now. :)

interesting note...I asked the taxi driver why there were no bugs like mosquitos in Copenhagen. He told me the winters were too cold , killed them all.

Hello! we are from Canada!

Now I know there is some sort of Eurocentric conspiracy. I think they use their higher taxes to pay those bugs to summer in North America. There can't be another answer.

I think the more boring truth is that you don't get bugs as bad in coastal areas (such as Copenhagen or nearby Helsingborg, where I live) and the bugs like lakes and bogs. In northern inland Sweden and Finland, there are lots of lakes and bogs, and therefore lots of horrific bugs during summertime.

Edited by Laurino

I think the more boring truth is that you don't get bugs as bad in coastal areas (such as Copenhagen or nearby Helsingborg, where I live) and the bugs like lakes and bogs.
It seems to me that it's that way here in FL. Inland has them worse than we do on the coast. Maybe it also has something to do with sea breezes keeping it a bit cooler than inland.

St. Gertrude's Kloster is now a nightclub. So it does not exist anymore as well. But there are many other good restaurants in Copenhagen.

The dollar is right expensive right now towards the Danish krone, so you might find, that you get more value for your Money in Copenhagen now. :)

Thanks for the update. Saddens me. We had a few truly incredible evenings there. Oh well, time marches on. :)

It seems to me that it's that way here in FL. Inland has them worse than we do on the coast. Maybe it also has something to do with sea breezes keeping it a bit cooler than inland.

I'm sure that's also true. The flying ones probably don't like the strong breezes along the coasts.

I tried to book at the Marriott Copenhagen and they said no availability. They gave me the choice of Renaissance Malmo Hotel in Malmo Sweden. I booked it because it was an option and I wanted to make sure I had some hotel for the day before the cruise.

Is it a bad idea?

Sure I try for another Copenhagen hotel? It appears to be a Marriott hotel but will the transportation to Copenhagen and to the cruise be prohibitive?

Thanks for ANY help. I am out of my league here with these travel arrangements.

I tried to book at the Marriott Copenhagen and they said no availability. They gave me the choice of Renaissance Malmo Hotel in Malmo Sweden. I booked it because it was an option and I wanted to make sure I had some hotel for the day before the cruise.

Is it a bad idea?

If I were sailing out of Copenhagen, I would not want to stay in a hotel in Sweden. I realize it's not all that far away in the grand scheme of things, but I would get nervous staying in another country. I would pay more to stay in/around Copenhagen. Consider what it would cost to come back to Denmark to board.

Is it a bad idea?

Sure I try for another Copenhagen hotel? It appears to be a Marriott hotel but will the transportation to Copenhagen and to the cruise be prohibitive?

You should know that it used to be easier.

Copenhagen and Malmo are separated by a bridge. We used to have good commuter-train connections "Oresunds"-train between the cities, but they have degraded since Christmas, since Sweden has been forced to reinstate border checks due to heavy immigration during last fall. This means that all train travelers have to show their passports at the platform of Copenhagen Airport before boarding the train to Malmo. All passengers from Copenhagen Central to Malmo, have to get off att Copenhagen Airport, show their passport and then board the next train. Also one more passport check happens onboard the train at Hyllie station after the bridge. All of this takes longer than before. However riding from Malmo to Copenhagen Airport or Central, incurs no passport controls and the journey is non-stop.

The commuter-trains run every 20 min between Copenhagen and Malmo (used to be every 10 min in rush hour before). Copenhagen Airport <-> Malmo takes 21 min, but allow a couple of minutes for passport control when leaving Copenhagen Airport. Copenhagen Central -> Malmo takes 66 min, including passport control. Malmo -> Copenhagen Central takes 35 min, non-stop and without passport control.

Taxis crossing the bridge are expensive.

If you still want to stay at Renaissance in Malmo, a suggestion from me would be to travel by train Copenhagen Airport <-> Malmo, and then use the subway or taxis within Copenhagen if you want to avoid changing trains and waiting at the airport. Btw, I love the Hilton at Copenhagen Airport. The Marriott is very nice too, haven't tried the Renaissance. I work in Malmo and commute daily from Helsingborg.

Edited by Laurino

I think the more boring truth is that you don't get bugs as bad in coastal areas (such as Copenhagen or nearby Helsingborg, where I live) and the bugs like lakes and bogs. In northern inland Sweden and Finland, there are lots of lakes and bogs, and therefore lots of horrific bugs during summertime.

Well said lol ....and good point.

Edited by sammygoose
change

Is it a bad idea?

Not knowing anything about the transportation or costs, I would not stay in Malmo because of the inconvenience of the distance.

FWIW when we first tried too book the Marriott it was unavailable so we booked another in Copenhagen. (I think it was a Ramada) We kept checking on the Marriott and it finally became available.

We've heard good things about the Radisson Blu.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189541-d206741-Reviews-Radisson_Blu_Royal_Hotel_Copenhagen-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

Edited by catl331

That's also a great hotel. I'ts a modern design classic. I recommend the "Royal Club" rooms, because they are on a higher floor and they are corner rooms, so you get panoramic windows in two directions and also in the bathroom, you also get breakfast. If you upgrade to a Junior Suite, you get to have breakfast in the top floor panoramic restaurant "Alberto K".

When we would go to Europe, we always stayed in hotels that were European rather than an American chain hotel. We avoided Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton and the like. We wanted to have a more European experience. Sure the chains are staffed with Europeans but the corporate mind set remains American. There are more than enough Hiltons and Marriotts in U.S. in which we can stay if we wish. JMO.......

Is it a bad idea?

We stayed at the Reaissance in Malmo pre cruise for two nights to use Marriott points, it was quite nice and located close to central rail station in Malmo (walkable to hotel) also by numerous restaurants, our stay was over a holiday weekend and the town was dead. We took the train directly from Copenhagen airport, around 3 stops, when you head to your ship take the train again to the closest station to the port in Copenhagen, then a taxi to your ship. Trains are cheap and taxis in Copenhagen are expensive. Staying in Malmo was not an inconvenience, but Copenhagen has more things to see and do.