Elation - 1-14-6 Sailing * Listed Starboard Yesterday

2bthereagain

I was on this sailing and we were coming into port late at 12 due to weather. We listed to the starboard side navigating down the Mississippi. It was enough that dishes crashed to the floor and furniture not attached slid across the floors. Does anyone know why?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I remember that same thing happening every time the ship went around one of those bends in the river. It was also a Fantasy class ship, but quite a few years ago. It must have something to do with the river, and how they navigate there.

It was scary! I remember thinking that we had survived the storm with 20 foot swells only to die in the muddy Mississippi River. I would love to see that picture! Do you know where it was posted?

Not sure how severe the list was, but I remember sitting on the Serenity deck as she navigated the river last year and it was memorizing to watch her list hard to either side as she turned down the river.

I would assume that the sharper the turn, the sharper the list. With the river running heavy and fast, it's likely a struggle to navigate a huge ship down that river.

We weren't moving, we were almost at a complete stop sitting straight as an arrow and she just started listing. Badly. Just kept going over. Dishes were crashing, people were screaming, furniture and suitcases slid down the floors. I was sitting by the window in the Promanade, so I could see the window going towards the river.

The high current of the river hitting the side of the ship will make it list to one side or the other depending on what direction the current is hitting the ship They most likely can't use stabilizers in the current state of the river because of how high the water is running and the unpredictable water currents plus the unknown debris in the water. A large log or debris floating by will damage a stabilizer or take it off the hull of the ship all together.

We weren't moving, we were almost at a complete stop sitting straight as an arrow and she just started listing. Badly. Just kept going over. Dishes were crashing, people were screaming, furniture and suitcases slid down the floors. I was sitting by the window in the Promanade, so I could see the window going towards the river.

Did it occur to you you were on a free floating ship in a narrow twist river channel, not a Disney ride?

Sorry, but some of the questions. It has happened before and it will happen again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Did it occur to you you were on a free floating ship in a narrow twist river channel, not a Disney ride?

Sorry, but some of the questions. It has happened before and it will happen again.

Oh please, spare us the sarcasm. Move along.

Any time the ship turns to navigate a bend in the river it will list. I was watching the Dream sail down the river a while back and it did quite a list as the ship rounded Algiers Point. Since you were headed up river the speed of the current is acting on the hull of the ship so there are flow forces involved.

I'm sure if you repeated this to the ship's Captain, your comment will make him overlook the smashed dishes, carpet damage, furniture crashing and possible harm to staff and crew.

It can be a really weird feeling when the ship lists.

I sailed on the Holiday shortly before she was retired. We had terrible storms the entire cruise - seasick bags out, fantastic lightning storms to watch at night, too windy to dock at Freeport - the whole nine yards.

We listed one night while we were at dinner (actually twice within about two minutes) - dishes were sliding off tables, we heard crashes in the kitchen. When we went back to our room (a porthole), there was nothing on our counter where we had left it - everything had come crashing down onto the floor and rolled under one of the twin beds, including the ice bucket, so everything was soaked.

There was an announcement made by the CD shortly thereafter and we received a letter from the captain in our cabins the next morning, and advised that 2 employees had been injured.

I have sailed down the Mississippi many times and I have never felt the ship list like that, going around turns or going straight. But I have also not sailed down her while she is at flood stage. I would have to assume that had something to do with it.

Glad everyone was safe!!

I'm sticking wit my wind theory more than it being the current. If it was the current it, it would more likely push the ship sideways and not make it list. By looking at the pictures, the ship was not rounding a bend so there wouldn't be any cross currents to make the ship list. It is true that the stabilizers aren't typically used in the river do to debris making the ship easier to list, especially when it is at a near stand still as stated by a passenger.