Pre-purchase of Cheers Package

shortstop95

Hey question for any of you who pre-purchased the cheers package pre-cruise- how do you confirm the purchase once your on board the ship? We board all excited and enjoy having a beverage as soon as we get on board. Our first stop is the table where they are selling the cheers package and we buy and get our stickers. If you pre-purchase- is already loaded onto your sail and sign account? Do you ever get a sticker? Just curious. Thanks in advance for any info!

Whenever u go to the bar, tell them and they will put the sticker on.

Do you know if that is true for Galveston cruises? A friend just returned on the Magic and said they were told the sticker would not be applied until the first sea day. I thought that sounded odd, but maybe so.

Out of Galveston you can't have Cheers until the second day. Same goes for any Bon Voyage liquor, it won't be delivered until day two.

Do you know if that is true for Galveston cruises? A friend just returned on the Magic and said they were told the sticker would not be applied until the first sea day. I thought that sounded odd, but maybe so.

So, if I buy cheers, I am on a 5 day cruise, and I cannot get include drinks until day 3 ????? 2 port days, where drinks are cheaper on shore, and back to Galveston.

No day 2 and depending on where you go drinks are usually about the same price except for beer which is usually cheaper at the ports!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

This has to do with Texas liquor laws and taxes on alcohol. Basically if you board on Monday, Cheers will start Tuesday morning at 6a. Whatever you drink when you board and that night is on a per drink basis.

From Carnival's website:

Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise for voyages departing from our Texas, Mobile and New York home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest’s Sail & Sign card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day).

So on a say a five night six day cruise you are only charged the cheers daily rate for 4 of those days. You don't count embarkation or debarkation day.

Edited by notyours75

From Carnival's website:

Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise for voyages departing from our Texas, Mobile and New York home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest’s Sail & Sign card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day).

So on a say a five night six day cruise you are only charged the cheers daily rate for 4 of those days. You don't count embarkation or debarkation day.

Not sure what NYS law applies. I have sailed on NCL numerous times and was able to buy and use their Ultimate beverage package as soon as I boarded. However, any drink received before we first sailed into international waters was charges NYC sales tax. That tax was based on drink menu price. No worries, I'll just have to pay for 7 day Cheers package for my upcomming 8 day Sunshine cruise this Summer.

Shortstop - when you pre-purchase cheers it is already loaded on your card and is ready to be used as soon as you board, whatever bartender you go to first should place the sticker on for you. The only exception is sailing out of Galveston cheers isn't available till day 2, so take advantage of being able to carry on wine. And sailing out of NYC, on Carnival at least, Cheers isn't able to be purchased until the ship reaches international waters on day 1. Prior to then you purchase drinks normally or a la carte, and then they are wiped off your S+S card once you purchase cheers.

Not sure what NYS law applies. I have sailed on NCL numerous times and was able to buy and use their Ultimate beverage package as soon as I boarded. However, any drink received before we first sailed into international waters was charges NYC sales tax. That tax was based on drink menu price. No worries, I'll just have to pay for 7 day Cheers package for my upcomming 8 day Sunshine cruise this Summer.

I would imagine its not so much about state law prohibiting it as much as some of the taxes they may have to pay to do it. While I can't speak for New York state I'm pretty sure that is the issue here in Texas. That's why you'll notice that while in port only certain types/sizes of drinks are available, that's because they've paid the state taxes on them. Once out in international waters the rest of the booze comes out. i.e. the ones they didn't pay the state taxes on.

• 2 weeks later...
This is my first time cruising when you can pre-purchase cheers. We are cruising out of miami. so when we check in and get our SS cards, we then board and go to a bar and have them put the sticker on our cards?

This is my first time to pre-purchase Cheers, as well, and we are leaving from Baltimore. So.....the bartendar will KNOW I've pre-purchased? That seems to defeat the purpose of even HAVING the sticker, if the bartendars aboard the ship can see you've already purchased.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I can answer my own question now that I have returned from the Freedom out of Galveston. A small table was set up on Lido deck by the pool on the first sea day. Starting at 8:00 you are able to stop by the table and get a Cheers sticker applied to the Sail and Sign card. You pay as you go on Embarkation day.

This is my first time to pre-purchase Cheers, as well, and we are leaving from Baltimore. So.....the bartendar will KNOW I've pre-purchased? That seems to defeat the purpose of even HAVING the sticker, if the bartendars aboard the ship can see you've already purchased.

Even with the sticker they have to swipe your S&S card. When they do it shows cheers. So technically yes even without the sticker it will show on the computer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Even with the sticker they have to swipe your S&S card. When they do it shows cheers. So technically yes even without the sticker it will show on the computer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the explanation....on my last cruise, my sticker was almost rubbed off :D so this is helpful to know :p

We also pre purchased Cheers for our May cruise out of Miami. When we pre bought the bubbles for our Pride cruise the sticker was on our card already when we checked in. I just assumed it would already be on the card in Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app