Santiago and Valparaiso

conniek22

I am cruising on Princess in March 2016 embarking at Valparaiso. We arrive 3 days prior to cruise in Santiago and looking for a 2 night pre cruise package with one night in Santiago and one night in Valparaiso or nearby. I found a company that provides that with transports and tours. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used a company called South Excursions, located in Vina del Mar, for tours, transports or packages and can recommend them? Or another tour company to recommend? The Princess package for 2 nights is with both nights in Santiago, but I want to see Valparaiso and Vina del Mar as well. Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You should check out the threads on Santiago & Valparaiso on the South American Ports board, and add any questions you have there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

I have only disembarked in Valparaiso but from what I have heard about embarking there is that tour operators offer transfers from Santiago hotels that spend the day in wine country and along the coast before dropping you off at the ship in Valparaiso. There is no rush to get to the port to board early as you may prefer on other cruises; the ship is at an industrial port with nothing to see or do in the area should you arrive early. After the long flight from home to Santiago it may be easier to not have to check in and out of hotels each of the next two days.

I am cruising on Princess in March 2016 embarking at Valparaiso. We arrive 3 days prior to cruise in Santiago and looking for a 2 night pre cruise package with one night in Santiago and one night in Valparaiso or nearby. I found a company that provides that with transports and tours. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used a company called South Excursions, located in Vina del Mar, for tours, transports or packages and can recommend them? Or another tour company to recommend? The Princess package for 2 nights is with both nights in Santiago, but I want to see Valparaiso and Vina del Mar as well. Thanks for any advice!

Are you on the Star Princess - March 14? We have a very active roll call - check it out. Transfers, tours, hotels etc have been organized by various people & the info is on google docs you can link to from the roll call. Look for the link in D&K Travel's signature.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058161

Edited by girlguide

I've done Chile via land not cruise. My favorite vacation by far.

Can't say anything about South Excursions, but I know Grayline in Santiago did offer a Vina del Mar and Valparaiso transfer package. I booked a bunch of tours down there with them. I just felt a lot more comfortable using a North American based company as a solo female traveler. I did do everything once I got to Santiago. The exchange rate beyond worked in my favor. 😃

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

We disembarked in Valparaiso 20 Dec, 2 days there, one day tour/transfer to Santiago, off to Easter Island for a few days, then another day and a half in Santiago. Santiago is nice, Valparaiso is wonderful. On your schedule I would bypass Santiago and head for the sea.

Some of my arrangements were direct, but Juan Victor Reyes (Perro Tours) was a great help, a good guide in Valparaiso, laid on a fine tour/transfer between the cities. Highly recommended. And he knows both cities quite well.

I too would post on the South America Board.

Whatever you do, (I have been to all three places you mentioned) do not carry passports around with you and leave them locked up in your hotel safe. Be mindful of your valuables in all these locations.

Keith