Muster on the Riviera

Iamthesea

How is the muster drill handled?

Do we have to wear or just carry our vest...or none at all?

Is the drill indoors or out?

I assume the drill will be around 4:30 if we are scheduled to leave Miami at 6:00?

It's been awhile since we have sailed with any other cruiseline outside of Celebrity. We don't have to take our emergency vest to Celebrity drills at all and the drill is located inside the ship.

How is the muster drill handled?

Do we have to wear or just carry our vest...or none at all?

Is the drill indoors or out?

I assume the drill will be around 4:30 if we are scheduled to leave Miami at 6:00?

It's been awhile since we have sailed with any other cruiseline outside of Celebrity. We don't have to take our emergency vest to Celebrity drills at all and the drill is located inside the ship.

If it is like our cruise on the Riviera a couple of weeks ago, we all needed to bring our life vests.

Once seated (our Muster Station was indoors; can't speak for others), at a certain point, we were all instructed "how" to put them on, and asked to do so.

Thanks! Don't mind carrying them. It's when we are asked to walk with them on that gets me, especially when having to climb the stairs back up without using an elevator. :eek:

Rather than fight the crowds at the elevator, we just went wandering around a bit (vests over our arms).

Several minutes later, we went back to the same elevator bank, and got right on.

Usually the drill is 5:15 or there abouts ...indoors

we did take the vests with us

our station was in the lounge so we just waited until everyone was gone then made our way to the elevators

Is that an option for the drill?

Oh, and my comment about the elevator was that it used to be that all abled bodied passengers had to take the steps back up (or down) to their staterooms as part of the drill. Guess they don't require that anymore, either.

On Insignia, we were instructed to get our vests, and everyone did so. We carried them to the stations, then put them on, and we did go outside to the stations. Guess different ships do it differently. Afterwards, the vests were shed very quickly, and we were all warned about the drooping straps as a a tripping hazard. That cruise was a particularly mature one, not that younger people couldn't trip over dangling straps!

On Insignia, we were instructed to get our vests, and everyone did so. We carried them to the stations, then put them on, and we did go outside to the stations. Guess different ships do it differently.

The R ships you do go outside but the O class ships they do not take you there usually

On our 3 cruise on the O class we have never gone outside to the life boats

The R ships you do go outside but the O class ships they do not take you there usually

On our 3 cruise on the O class we have never gone outside to the life boats

The reason you do not go outside on the "O" class ships is that the access doors to the life boats are accessible from deck 6 where everyone musters. The groups are assembled and walked to the doors and you get directly into the life boats and they are lowered. On the "R" ships the boats are lowered to Deck 5 and you get into them. This was explained to me last May on our Marina cruise by the Safety Officer when I questioned why we weren't going outside. Arlene

The reason you do not go outside on the "O" class ships is that the access doors to the life boats are accessible from deck 6 where everyone musters. The groups are assembled and walked to the doors and you get directly into the life boats and they are lowered. On the "R" ships the boats are lowered to Deck 5 and you get into them. This was explained to me last May on our Marina cruise by the Safety Officer when I questioned why we weren't going outside. Arlene

Exactly

Either way I hope I never have to us them for that purpose :D

We are usually not in the room when the drill is called, that being the case we go without the vests.

About going straight to the muster station without visiting our room

We did this on purpose on our last cruise - last fall. We picked up a life jacket at the entrance to our muster station.

About wearing the life jacket after the drill - they warn you about the hazard of carrying the untied life jacket - with the straps all dangling.

We had a first (for us) on our last cruise - a pirate drill! We had to go into our hallway and sit on the floor. A steward brought out a chair for one lady who wouldn't be able to get down - at least not for the drill.