Is there anything Walkable

BrittersC

Just wondering if there is anything within walking distance from where we get dropped off? Can anyone recommend a sting ray city tour that RC offers? Not sure what we should do afterwards as most tours are only a couple of hours, any suggestions would be lovely!

Downtown George Town, with a lot of shopping, is right across the street from the piers where the tenders drop you off. Lots of jewelry, perfumes, t-shirts, rum cakes, and unique Caymanian rums to be found there.

A short walk brings you to a few snorkeling sites such as Eden Rock or the Wreck of the Cali.

Departure point for Atlantis Submarines or the Nautilus semi-submersible boat tours are within easy walking distance.

The Cayman food tours offers a walking tour of George Town featuring some samples of local cuisine from a variety of shops.

A new room lock-in puzzle experience is opening soon on Fort Street, just down the block from an ice bar.

Spend a few minutes to check out the Cayman National Museum or the Heroes Wall and monuments, both right downtown.

Guy Harvey is a well know marine artist with a gallery and restaurant close to the port.

And if you really must get away from town there are rental cars and scooters from Cayman Auto Rentals within walking distance. Other operators are happy to pick you up from the port area and take you to the airport to complete a rental transaction.

I'm sure I've left some things out. Others can fill in a few of their favorites for a Cayman port call.

Edited by drew sailbum

Oh wow that's awesome thank you! This is one of the ports that I am so excited about but so nervous that it will be cancelled due to weather :eek:

We've been to Jamaica several times and the locals were extremely pushy and we didn't always feel safe, how does this port compare to Jamaica? We've never been to the Jamaican port but have travelled pretty extensively in the country, but I assume the Port will be similar.

There will be plenty of offerings but getting pushy or in-your-face is not the Cayman way. Not in the port. Not on the beaches.

You will see tour operators with tables set up and workers with signs, but no one will grab you or tug on you to get you into a store. A simple "no" is more than enough... and you likely will not be pushed that far.

There is a small chance (<5%) that your ship might tender you ashore at a different site if the wind direction changes. If so, just grab a bus into town. There will be lots of buses lined up to provide transportation.

And, unfortunately, sometimes the weather simply does not cooperate and ships must skip the port call at Cayman.

This is not a poor country, like most of the other Caribbean countries are....this is the banking capital of the Caribbean...pricey, and folks are not destitute...it's probably the closest thing to going about in your own country that you'll find.

Edited by cb at sea

Oh wow that's awesome thank you! This is one of the ports that I am so excited about but so nervous that it will be cancelled due to weather :eek:

We've been to Jamaica several times and the locals were extremely pushy and we didn't always feel safe, how does this port compare to Jamaica? We've never been to the Jamaican port but have travelled pretty extensively in the country, but I assume the Port will be similar.

Not at all pushy. Cayman is the anti Jamaica. Amazingly until 1959 Cayman was part of Jamaica! Having some wealth makes a lot of difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is not a poor country, like most of the other Caribbean countries are....this is the banking capital of the Caribbean...pricey, and folks are not destitute...it's probably the closest thing to going about in your own country that you'll find.

This is not the case at all. While there is considerable wealth on the island amongst the expat community, ordinary islanders have a tough life. As there is no income tax, the government attempts to pay for public services by imposing massive import duties on everything - and because the Caymans make or grow very little of anything, the cost of living is incredibly high, pushing many islanders into poverty. Public services are rudimentary.

A BBC documentary - Britain's Trillion Dollar Island - shown last night lifted the lid on this morally bankrupt place.

Edited by Fletcher

This is not the case at all. While there is considerable wealth on the island amongst the expat community, ordinary islanders have a tough life. As there is no income tax, the government attempts to pay for public services by imposing massive import duties on everything - and because the Caymans make or grow very little of anything, the cost of living is incredibly high, pushing many islanders into poverty. Public services are rudimentary.

A BBC documentary - Britain's Trillion Dollar Island - shown last night lifted the lid on this morally bankrupt place.

Sounds somewhat like here....

Grand Cayman is the complete opposite of Jamaica. Nobody is pushy, easy and safe to get around on your own. A nice relaxing day. We have been 3 times and am looking forward to going there again. Hopefully we will be able to tender.

1. Stingray City and snorkeling tour -booked privately on a sailboat (can't remember which one)

2. Rented from Avis, drove around then spent the day at Rum Point

3. Bus to brewery, Caybrew for a tour, then shopped for a while in town and walked to My Bar at Sunset house for some snorkeling and a few brews.

This time we will head to the beach by bus, likely Cemetery and then find a beach bar somewhere else for a bit in the afternoon. Not sure yet which one, I have a few ideas.....

We are going to Ocho Rios this trip and I have no idea what to do. I hate the way they are so aggressive and pushy in Jamaica. I'd just like a quiet, cheap chill beach. I have not been able to find this without spending a lot on day passes or paying a guide so we don't get harassed.

Thanks for the info in this thread. Are there restaurants near the port as well? Trying to decide between a Stingray City tour that includes lunch at Rum Point vs. just going back to Georgetown. We probably will not go to Seven Mile Beach after the stingrays.

Thanks for the info in this thread. Are there restaurants near the port as well? Trying to decide between a Stingray City tour that includes lunch at Rum Point vs. just going back to Georgetown. We probably will not go to Seven Mile Beach after the stingrays.

There are plenty of restaurants in Georgetown. We did the Stingrays again in December and had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. There are a lot of other restaurants too.

We didn't have the opportunity to go to Rum Point because of the ships schedule but if we could have I would have done that instead of going back to Georgetown. I have never been to Rum Point but since it gets rave reviews I have always wanted to go there. I would pick that.

Edited by Charles4515

We spent part of the day at 7 mile beach, then came back near the port. Ended up at a waterside bar/restaurant very near the tender terminal area. I don't know the name, but if you were to exit the terminal to the street, turn left. It's maybe 50 yards down; you'll first pass a local "fish market" that consists of a few shade tents/booths where local fisherman come in & sell their catch. The place we went was right next to it (there is also a shop there that rents snorkel gear & has SNUBA setups if you want to do something along those lines.

Also, the signs indicated that you could buy fresh fish at the market & bring it to the restaurant, and they'd cook it for you (I'm sure they charge for cooking it, don't know the price).

I did not eat there as I'd already had lunch at 7 Mile Beach; a few in my group did eat there & said the food was quite good (one had ceviche, not sure what the others had as I was out in the water).

Don't take everything you see on TV at face value...the second article includes quotes from some of the people "interviewed" for the "documentary"

https://www.caymancompass.com/2016/01/26/editorial-bbc-program-a-trillion-thumbs-down/

https://www.caymancompass.com/2016/01/26/mixed-reaction-to-bbc-documentary/

https://cnsbusiness.com/2016/01/19/bbc-documentary-set-to-scandalize-cayman/

Edited by bookbabe

Grand Cayman is the complete opposite of Jamaica. Nobody is pushy, easy and safe to get around on your own. A nice relaxing day. We have been 3 times and am looking forward to going there again. Hopefully we will be able to tender.

1. Stingray City and snorkeling tour -booked privately on a sailboat (can't remember which one)

2. Rented from Avis, drove around then spent the day at Rum Point

3. Bus to brewery, Caybrew for a tour, then shopped for a while in town and walked to My Bar at Sunset house for some snorkeling and a few brews.

This time we will head to the beach by bus, likely Cemetery and then find a beach bar somewhere else for a bit in the afternoon. Not sure yet which one, I have a few ideas.....

We are going to Ocho Rios this trip and I have no idea what to do. I hate the way they are so aggressive and pushy in Jamaica. I'd just like a quiet, cheap chill beach. I have not been able to find this without spending a lot on day passes or paying a guide so we don't get harassed.

We really enjoyed going to Dolphin Cove in Ocho Rios, and we may return there on this cruise! We did the swim with dolphins package which was on special through our resort. Even if you don't want to do the dolphin thing you can swim with sting rays, go on jet boats, kayak, sit on the beach, check out the birds, etc without the high pressure of being on a public beach or market. All of the above is included in your admission which is nice. Swimming with dolphins was a ton of fun but the sting rays were my fave! Otherwise I would probably return to the Jewel Dunns River resort for the day, but it comes with a hefty price tag! When we stayed there for two weeks we only paid $199 a night for a ocean view room, and it will cost us over $400 for a day pass!