Flam Railway Fjords online booking

I booked online through the Norwegian national railway site. Printed out tickets for all my segments before I left home. For the Flam Railway, just be sure to put Myrdal to Flam (and Flam to Myrdal) in the site as your routes. I did this as a side trip on my train trip from Bergen to Oslo.

Edited by Splinter

a lady on our roll call booked online for a large group of us

book first class if you can

When the train stops at the waterfall the platform width is only wide enough for 2 coaches to alight directly to the viewing platform [the first class ones]

The rest of the train is in the tunnel for the 10 minute stop which means you need to travel through the coaches to get out

Our NCL ship tour was much more expensive and didn't go all the way to Myrdal but dropped passengers off at a hotel near the top for a waffle and photo opportunities of the spectacular scenery before they got on the next train down

Unfortunately for them it was thick fog so nothing to see and freezing cold-late May]

Even worse the train they were due to get back on[ours] was running late

On the way up to Myrdal they were not allowed to ride to the top but had to wait till the return journey-boy did they look fed up

We were very smug that we had saved more money going private and were warm and dry as well

On the way up to Myrdal they were not allowed to ride to the top but had to wait till the return journey. Boy did they look fed up

If they would have travelled one stop higher (called Myrdal), at the end of the Flam Railway, they would have been even more disappointed. Myrdal has nothing to offer at all, not even a nice view. I recommend to use Vatnahalsen as the turningpoint: www.vatnahalsen.no

Edited by PeetNL

Trying to book on line but the first train available on the day of our visit is the 13.35 which should get back to Flam 1hr 20mins before our ship departure. That seems a bit of a risk to take. Does anyone know if tickets are sometimes available on the day even though the on line site is showing that trains are fully booked?

Hallasam - super video.

Trying to book on line but the first train available on the day of our visit is the 13.35 which should get back to Flam 1hr 20mins before our ship departure. That seems a bit of a risk to take. Does anyone know if tickets are sometimes available on the day even though the on line site is showing that trains are fully booked?

Hallasam - super video.

that was the same timing we took-stayed on same train there and back

There were plenty of ship excursion people on the same train-the ships buy up tickets on the regular services so in other words not a charter train

so if you're on the same train as the ship excursion people there's no risk as they will have to wait for them all to return before setting sail