Vegan options on Anthem - Not buffet

Has anyone been on Anthem of the Seas that has requested a Vegan Menu?

Has anyone seen any Vegan options in the dining rooms?

Our daughter is vegan. We sent a request to RCL but they have yet to respond yet. I am hoping she doesn't have to eat in the buffet every night.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

We sailed Liberty with a Vegan in our group. Make a note of her vegan wishes on the reservation, and with the head server iwhen we ate in the MDR. The lady in our party was given several options each night, usually a rice curry things, or grilled veggies, soups and such. the dining team did a great job, very low key, always with at least two option per course.

We did traditional dining at the same table each night, so the team took care of her. Specialty dining places may not have anything directly to suit her.

She won't have to eat separate from you...discuss the menu with the head waiter nightly.

It's true..specialty dining has special menus...not really "vegan" by any means. No way I'd pay a fee to eat in them and only have plant-based foods.

How strict a vegan is your daughter? Is she one who won't eat food on dishes that ever touched animal products? Does she avoid leather shoes, belts, furniture and leather handbags? Does she not eat honey? If she is that strict, she will be challenged to have the strict diet she wants.

If she is vegan only in diet but not other lifestyle restrictions, including not eating cheese or dairy, butter etc., she may be able to manage. I am vegan, but I have learned on ships that often waiters don't know exactly what a vegan or even a vegetarian is. For example, they would offer me fish as a choice.

You will need to be very specific in yoru instructions. Soup can be problematic as it often has a chicken and beef base. Cream soups have cream, of course. One time I was explaining my limitations and the waiters brought me a baked potato on a plate, nothing on it, not even a sprig of parsley. That was my entree.

The truth is for me on ships, I have learned that I do need to bend a little or the choices do become quite limited. On a long cruise, salad can get mighty tiresome, so I do make a few exceptions to avoid three salads a day, day after day. As soon as I get home, it's back a more serious vegan diet.

I think it really comes down to how flexible she is. There is at least one vegetarian option in the main dinning room, but that may or not be vegan. You can ask for modifications, but expect a longer wait for your food. You could also just pick out the parts you don't want in some cases.

Just remember that you are but one person on a ship of thousands, so they will do what they can within reason, but it will take some work on your part as well.

How strict a vegan is your daughter? Is she one who won't eat food on dishes that ever touched animal products? Does she avoid leather shoes, belts, furniture and leather handbags? Does she not eat honey? If she is that strict, she will be challenged to have the strict diet she wants.

If she is vegan only in diet but not other lifestyle restrictions, including not eating cheese or dairy, butter etc., she may be able to manage. I am vegan, but I have learned on ships that often waiters don't know exactly what a vegan or even a vegetarian is. For example, they would offer me fish as a choice.

You will need to be very specific in yoru instructions. Soup can be problematic as it often has a chicken and beef base. Cream soups have cream, of course. One time I was explaining my limitations and the waiters brought me a baked potato on a plate, nothing on it, not even a sprig of parsley. That was my entree.

The truth is for me on ships, I have learned that I do need to bend a little or the choices do become quite limited. On a long cruise, salad can get mighty tiresome, so I do make a few exceptions to avoid three salads a day, day after day. As soon as I get home, it's back a more serious vegan diet.

She is Vegan, but understands how food is produced. Just does not want it on her plate. Soups have been tough, we agree. even if it says Vegetarian, they often use Chicken Broth. Dairy is a huge issue as well, as many dont realize when butter is used to saute.

Thanks for the advise

We sailed Liberty with a Vegan in our group. Make a note of her vegan wishes on the reservation, and with the head server iwhen we ate in the MDR. The lady in our party was given several options each night, usually a rice curry things, or grilled veggies, soups and such. the dining team did a great job, very low key, always with at least two option per course.

We did traditional dining at the same table each night, so the team took care of her. Specialty dining places may not have anything directly to suit her.

Good to know. we are cruising June 30th and I have reached out to RCI. They forwarded my request to someone else but have not heard a reply. She understands it is going to be tough, but I dont want her to set at dinner each night with a pile of raw veggies. Glad to see they will offer up options.

Learn from my experience, and be prepared to do what I will always do on future cruises (which will most likely not be on RCI)- pack some food, and speak up immediately if you aren't being served appropriately:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2276902&highlight=vegan

Oh my. Just read this thread. The thing that people need to understand is that while there may not be a lot of vegans on a ship, there should be an option to eat for them. I don't believe like others that there should be vegan options on every menu, but there should be a way for a cruise line to modify a menu item to make it vegetarian or vegan or gluten free.

Many restaurants in NYC do this. Many restaurants where we live in Upstate NY do this. Why can't the cruise lines?

Thanks for the information.

• 2 weeks later...
I am trying to eat plant based but every time I go on a cruise I fall off the wagon. It is not easy to speak up for plant based/vegan choices to the waitstaff.

good luck with that. My daughter is head strong and will not cave. We support her decision, but are very concerned that she will find enough variety for a 9 day cruise.