VISA needed ?

cannockfrodo

British nationals need a visa to enter mainland China, but not Hong Kong or Macao. For mainland China, you must get a visa prior to arrival, including for Hainan Island. For details of entry requirements to China contact the nearest Chinese Embassy or Consulate in good time before your proposed trip.

China travel advice - GOV.UK

I've been googling this myself and the answer is yes because the 72 hour visa exemption is only for flights coming in and then leaving within 72 hrs (via airport not via port). So basically since the time spent and the means of leaving the country are via cruise... a visa is needed!

Such a bummer. I am eyeing a cruise with a similar itinerary myself and we would need visas for both China and Vietnam. Sigh.

I've been googling this myself and the answer is yes because the 72 hour visa exemption is only for flights coming in and then leaving within 72 hrs (via airport not via port). So basically since the time spent and the means of leaving the country are via cruise... a visa is needed!

Such a bummer. I am eyeing a cruise with a similar itinerary myself and we would need visas for both China and Vietnam. Sigh.

Visas for Vietnam are issued onboard the ship and are fairly cheap in comparison to Chinese. Approx US$20-35.

Yes, you need a visa.

Get the five year one.

Keith

I am not aware of a five year visa for China for tourism. China recently introduced 10 year visas for US and Canadian passport holders but I cannot find mention that option is available for UK passport holders.

And you can "request" whatever you want - but you get what they give you;)

Your best option for currently factual information is to contact the Chinese consulate closest to you in the UK.

(I've had 3 business visas for China in the past couple years - and despite what I believe to be a good rationale in my invitation letter for a 10 year visa on my most recent application, I was only given a 6 month double entry - worse than my last 2 visas - so - again, you get what they give you....)

Edited by Hoyaheel

I am not aware of a five year visa for China for tourism. China recently introduced 10 year visas for US and Canadian passport holders but I cannot find mention that option is available for UK passport holders.

And you can "request" whatever you want - but you get what they give you;)

Oh yes I was thinking of the 10 year visa.

At a minium I would get a one year visa.

Nothing too short as things can go wrong.

Keith

Oh yes I was thinking of the 10 year visa.

At a minium I would get a one year visa.

Nothing too short as things can go wrong.

Keith

Please note the multi-year visa will have a Duration of Stay in it; which is the number of consecutive days you may be in-country per visit. For most tourists this is consecutive 30-60 days. YMMV.

You can leave China for a day trip to HK or Macao and return and the Duration of Stay clock resets. If you need to stay more than the allot time, you need to check in with the authorities for an extension.

The chinese visa regulations for UK passport holders changed about 10 days ago. The standard visa issued is now multiple entry valid for 2 years. Of course it is about £50 more expensive.

This information was provided by my visa provider and I now have the visa which is valid for 90 days from each entry .

My visa provider submitted the application on Jan 11th, The visa was stamped on the 13th and the curier delivered it on the 18th.

The application form is 4 pages and has to filled in correctly. The photo they need is also different from a standard UK passport one !.