Not really wanting to carry on drinks...opinions?

camprunner

OP I happen to agree with you....I am stunned on how people can and want to carry on water and soda! Why would anybody want to lug all that stuff, even if it were just a case of soda????

I am on a cruise, so enjoy your cruise, buy what you want, you paying for the cruise in the first place, the way I see it, if you can't purchase your water and soda then you shouldn't be cruising.

I am sure others be attacking me on what I just said, but I don't care...I would not carry a can of soda into a restaurant and I won't carry even one can of soda onto a ship, its plain cheap and low. Sorry, but I have a right to say how I feel and by the way it is being cheap!

Your on a cruise, enjoy yourself. We always purchase FTTF when its available to us when we book our cruise, its so nice having priority boarding and with this staggered check in process that soon will be enforced in every port, trust me, you don't want to get stuck in having a late time boarding, you loose hours of being on the ship.

As far as the bottomless bubbles, if you drink soda and you say you don't drink much alcoholic drinks, you just may get your monies worth, if not, you have the peace of knowing when you want a drink you can get it anywhere on the ship.

Also, if you carry your soda on the ship you have to go back to the room to get it or refill it and you also need ice, which you can ask your cabin steward to supply but I would not want to be bothered by going back to my room to get a soda!

As far as a bottle of wine, well I can understand if somebody has a special brand they want which isn't available on the ship but your only able to carry one bottle, to me its not worth lugging and worrying about.

I love FTTF, priority boarding, we receive our luggage much faster and the room is available right away and we love dropping off our carry on luggage and not lug that around the ship waiting for the room to be ready, its so worth it an you also get priority tender and disembarkation whether you want early or late.

Im sorry the way I see it I am on a cruise, its a vacation, I want to relax and have less stress.....if you are this way then just purchase the items on board and enjoy your cruise.

Where on the ship do they sell caffeine free diet coke?

Bill

We don't drag anything onboard that isn't necessary. If we want a soda or a drink, we open the mini bar and drink it. If we are out and about we stop at a bar and order one. It is vacation and a few bucks for a soda or a drink here or there won't break the bank.

Edited by DebJ14

On my cruises, I have always brought additional soda, but that is because I like soda that isn't sold on board, and frankly it's cheaper. Enjoy your vacation, and do whatever enables you have a better, more enjoyable cruise. (within the rules that Carnival sets)

We don't drag anything onboard that isn't necessary. If we want a soda or a drink, we open the mini bar and drink it. If we are out and about we stop at a bar and order one. It is vacation and a few bucks for a soda or a drink here or there won't break the bank.

What's this dragging stuff? If I bring a case of soda it's because I want it. I don't "drag" anything anywhere. We use a small rolling duffel bag and bring it along with whatever other carry on bag we have onboard. If the room is not ready, I don't drag my stuff all over. I find a seat and park it there until I can get in my room. 4 of us on a 8 day cruise - no I'm not buying anything from the mini bar. Besides they may not have what I want. I might buy from bon voyage. Depends. People spend what they want on their vacation.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Unless you have a balcony, you probably won't spend much time in your room having drinks anyway. If you want to bring ginger ale in case you have a queasy stomach, I'd order 1 six pack from bon voyage for $10 and I'd pack some ginger gum or ginger candies. They are lightweight and don't take up any space. I bring them all the time but rarely use them.

I always buy the bottled water which Carnival sells so cheap now and I bring one of those little flavor bottles that others have suggested.

I carry on 2 bottles of wine too but I never remember to get a wine glass from a bar before going to my room and I'm not going to bring a glass of wine to dinner with me in one of the little glasses they leave in the cabin, so I don't usually end up drinking the wine either unless I have a balcony. Oh, and about the wine, I usually ask someone in line behind me to carry 1 bottle thru security for me. On my cruise this month, I had 2 bottles in my backpack. They made me open the backpack to show them that it was wine, but they didn't question why I had 2.

Hope some of this info helps.

Have a great cruise.

I guess I am downright cheap! I am cruising with my husband, son and granddaughter in May for 9 days (3 adults, 1 child). The cost of Bottomless Bubbles is more than $200....for soda? We can each bring a 12 pack for $10-$15 and have it in our room. We always ask for ice in our room and usually have a mini-bar to keep some cold. I drink diet ginger-ale which the ships don't carry.

I can fit 2 12 packs and 2 bottles of wine in a small carry-on and it works great. Then, we have that extra carry-on for souvenirs, dirty clothes, or whatever else doesn't seem to fit going home.

We always have priority boarding so I don't have to wheel it around the ship, but I don't think it would be a big deal if I did.

That's just me and I don't think I should stop cruising because I don't choose to waste $200 on soda :)

Does anyone know how much they charge for a Coke if you order one from the bar?

Just about $2. It's pretty comparable to a restaurant on land.

That said, at $6 per day the bottomless bubbles program is pretty worth it for soda drinkers. You break even at only 3 sodas per day, which is easy to do. We get it for my husband, who is a soda drinker and I usually stick to water. We've also had a few bartenders that we had good relationships with give him an extra soda for me if I was nearby.

Initially bring a small amount of soda with you during embarkation. They allow you to bring additional sodas onboard when you return from your port of calls.

Had FTTF my last cruise with 1 tender. Although it was nice to have, I probably wont buy it again on any future cruises. All depends if its worth it for you.

I didn't think you carry on soda anymore from anywhere other than the embarkation port. I thought this changed when they outlawed bottles of water from being brought aboard.

OP, you can also order soda from room service. And, I am sure a bar would sell you an unopened can to take to your room.

I carry soda on, because I know we will drink it and I am cheap. But, we carry on all of our luggage and don't check anything. So, it's not really any difference in inconvenience to me. I just strap a 12-pack to the top of my rolling suitcase. You could always just stuff a couple of cans in your bag. You don't have to bring a whole case.

I guess I am downright cheap! I am cruising with my husband, son and granddaughter in May for 9 days (3 adults, 1 child). The cost of Bottomless Bubbles is more than $200....for soda? We can each bring a 12 pack for $10-$15 and have it in our room. We always ask for ice in our room and usually have a mini-bar to keep some cold. I drink diet ginger-ale which the ships don't carry.

I can fit 2 12 packs and 2 bottles of wine in a small carry-on and it works great. Then, we have that extra carry-on for souvenirs, dirty clothes, or whatever else doesn't seem to fit going home.

We always have priority boarding so I don't have to wheel it around the ship, but I don't think it would be a big deal if I did.

That's just me and I don't think I should stop cruising because I don't choose to waste $200 on soda :)

Totally agree! I guess I am cheap as well. I carry on my soda because it is expensive on board. I like to have a drink in my room getting ready for dinner, pool ect ... And this way I don't have to go find a bar somewhere to get a pop. I buy a alcohol bottle every cruise for my room . I take a case and so does my mom . I don't find it a hassle at all. I also either carry it by the handle built on the case or put in my carryon. I would far rather spend that money on an excursion or on other things on the cruise. Everyone has their budget and I don't think taking your own pop onboard means you shouldn't be cruising ?? I am cruising in February on my 14th carnival cruise and have been taking my own pop and every cruise ! I don't feel bad about it at all!!

My vote would be to buy an unopened can from the bar to have just in case. If it's a longer cruise and you're reasonably sure you will need it then go with the six pack from Bon voyage since the price per can is a bit cheaper. I would only get FTTF if the other perks make it worth the $$$ and no way I would buy a new backpack just to make it easy to roll around a 12 pack while I wait to get to my room.

[quote name='lyndamr']OP I happen to agree with you....I am stunned on how people can and want to carry on water and soda! Why would anybody want to lug all that stuff, even if it were just a case of soda????
I am on a cruise, so enjoy your cruise, buy what you want, you paying for the cruise in the first place, [B]the way I see it, if you can't purchase your water and soda then you shouldn't be cruising. [/B]
[B]I am sure others be attacking me on what I just said, .[/quote]
[/B]Maybe some of us would like to avoid the $2.50 per soda. Mayby be some of us don't like COKE!

I admit I can be cheap when it comes to drinks ! Yes I bring my Diet Mt dew with me on a cruise or anywhere over seas! It gets put in someone's suitcase!
Sorry if you want to spend your money on drinks that's your choice, but don't down others for being more frugal as that may be the reason they can take a cruise!

So to update I just ordered a rolling backpack with a compartment for my laptop. This way I can bring on the Zevia Ginger-ales instead of having so much sugar. I also ordered sea-bands and ginger candy ;)

That should fix the problem as I really just want to be able to eat lunch and I saw people in a you tube video with rather big back packs going through the buffet line so this should be good!

Thanks so much. Still ordering the waters. Edited by camprunner