Best Port for Sea Turtles

Beeslilmama

I am looking into the early preparation for booking my next cruise. I strongly desire to sail the Southern Caribbean and I really want to see sea turtles. These are two things that I have yet to experience on any of my cruises. Any recommendations for a great place to go to do this? Also do not want to fly to San Juan so which ship/port is a good place to leave from?

I am looking into the early preparation for booking my next cruise. I strongly desire to sail the Southern Caribbean and I really want to see sea turtles. These are two things that I have yet to experience on any of my cruises. Any recommendations for a great place to go to do this? Also do not want to fly to San Juan so which ship/port is a good place to leave from?

I saw so many at Tintamarre Island in St. Maarten. I went with Captain Alan's and had a great day! That was a big deal for me too, I love to snorkel and had never had the chance to see that many sea turtles just swimming along with me!

Have seen them several times from balcony while docked in Nassau.

If you are willing to get in the water with them and not just observe them from a distance, Barbados is great for this! We did a snorkel tour there a few years ago and had were surrounded by them. Terrific experience! There are several independent companies that do snorkel/swim with sea turtle excursions in Barbados and I'm sure Carnival has their own as well.

In addition to Barbados, we saw lots of turtles in Bonaire (Klein Bonaire). In Barbados we snorkeled with Calabaza and in Bonaire with Woodwind. Both are great excursions. Woodwind was the best snorkel excursion we have ever been on, Calabaza was second (and had held first place until we went with Woodwind in October). The turtles off Klein Bonaire are truly wild - they mind their own business as do the snorkelers. I think those in Barbados have been fed by people so much that they are curious and will come right up to you looking for a handout (which is rightfully discouraged).

I think Barbados is on the Princess 10 day eastern Caribbean itinerary out of Fort Lauderdale and Bonaire is on the 10 southern Caribbean itinerary out of Fort Lauderdale.

Edited by capriccio

Not opposed to San Juan, I do want to visit the port, its just the airfare to fly there. But mock booking right now, its only about $100 more than Miami right now, so maybe it is a possibility.

I don't want to just look at them, I would love to swim and interact.