Ports of call questions

wildbill426

I'm going on my 2nd cruise shortly on the Norwegian Gem. I'm going solo, and our ports are: Tortola, San Juan, Phillipsburg/St Martin and St Thomas. I've browsed the shore activities offered by NCL and nothing really piqued my interest.

Also, on my first cruise, in retrospect I wish we'd done some ports 'freestyle'. In Grand Cayman we found this awesome tiki bar 2 blocks from the dock with great food and drink; that would have been a good day for me!

So I have a few questions for all you experienced people: First, which of these ports is the best for plain old exploring? Second, my perception is that they're all fairly safe (unlike Ocho Rios which creeped me out); I'm a 6'4" guy so I'm usually okay on those matters, but is my perception correct? Last, has anyone done any tours/activities either via the cruise line or not that were unique or fun? Thank you all very much for the feedback; the info from this forum really made our first cruise experience better.

Wild Bill

Did you realize you landed on Princess boards? Lol

We have tried several lines.

If you want to get off the ship and go eat and drink.....instead of something active...knowing your intrests would help.

Go to tripadvisor and look around. :)

Depending on which of the two your vessel parks at St Thomas.....would make a difference of easy access.

San juan.... Dont need a guide.....research and go out on your own. Plenty on CC if you go to ports board here.

Tortola......The Baths.......wow.....once in a lifetime deal....depending on how much time in port. It's incredible!

This is the Ask a cruise question board....

Old San Juan is a great walking area....lots of history, shopping, restaurants,....

All of you ports are easy to DIY...a guidebook will be the best thing you can do to find out what's in each place and how to get there!

Old San Juan is great for a self-directed walkabout - lot to see and easy to cover on your own.

Phillipsburg, St. Maarten is great for shopping - either 20 minute walk from pier or water taxi to center. Lots of places to eat and drink, and a good beach for sitting- but not swimming due to water pollution questions. If you want a busy beach for swimming, take a taxi to Orient, or to Dawn Beach for some surf and lesser crowds, or to Le Galion for guaranteed calm water.

If you have a full day at Tortola, definitely take the ferry to the Baths.

St. Thomas is a crowded shopping port - some good beaches - if you want a truly beautiful beach day, take the ferry across to St. John. Actually, having been to St. Thomas a number of times, I like to stay aboard and have an uncrowded ship to enjoy.