How do you choose?

LakeWobegon

What nights to book specialty dining if you do? We're going on the Escape in March and looking to book two specialty dining restaurants and eat in the MDR the other 5. Does the MDR typically offer better meals on certain nights throughout the cruise generally? I am sure they are all good. But are there certain nights - typically - where the selection is better than others? We've only cruised once before and that was 12 years ago, which is why I am asking. Thanks!

We tend to book specialty dining for evenings when we know we wont be all tired out after a long excursion ( especially on port intensive cruises ) So we find sea days work well for us . We want to be able to appreciate a lovely meal not be so tired we don`t really enjoy it .

Others may have other ways of choosing but this works for us .

Enjoy your cruise x

We tend to book specialty dining for evenings when we know we wont be all tired out after a long excursion ( especially on port intensive cruises ) So we find sea days work well for us . We want to be able to appreciate a lovely meal not be so tired we don`t really enjoy it .

Others may have other ways of choosing but this works for us .

Enjoy your cruise x

This is also the reason I don't book specialty dinners on the first or last night of a cruise.

Our upcoming cruise is out of NY in April so I booked restaurants that had outdoor seating for nights we would be in warmer weather so we could dine outdoors.

If possible I like to alternate nights between MDR and specialty. Just for variety and to try what's available, as I've never had a bad meal in a MDR. Each cruise I book dining a little differently depending on the ship but I never book first or last night in a specialty.

Like others, I usually book specialty dining on sea days. But for my upcoming cruise, I also took into consideration which evenings I'd be seeing shows--booked Burn the Floor and Priscilla Queen of the Desert. I think it depends on your style. Just thin about whether you'd enjoy it more after a full day in port or a relaxing day at sea. :)

OP, which 2 specialties are you looking to book? The reason I ask is because even if you plan to only eat 2, it might still save you money to buy a 3 night SDP. Just a thought. You might want to crunch numbers and check out the menus and such. The 3 meal dining plan is $69.62 per person.

OP, which 2 specialties are you looking to book? The reason I ask is because even if you plan to only eat 2, it might still save you money to buy a 3 night SDP. Just a thought. You might want to crunch numbers and check out the menus and such. The 3 meal dining plan is $69.62 per person.

True; not so long ago someone posted their bills for two meals in Cagney's (don't ask me on what board!!). One came to over USD100 and the other to over USD90 for two of them. They did eat well; 2 appetisers, 1 main with 3 sides, and 2 desserts each!!

Then you could force yourself to have the 3rd dinner too!! ;) :D

Mike

True; not so long ago someone posted their bills for two meals in Cagney's (don't ask me on what board!!). One came to over USD100 and the other to over USD90 for two of them. They did eat well; 2 appetisers, 1 main with 3 sides, and 2 desserts each!!

Then you could force yourself to have the 3rd dinner too!! ;) :D

Mike

Yeah, that was me. And I never even finish one dessert. I hate dessert. Definitely not 2 each. Go look again.

Edited by LrgPizza

Yeah, that was me. And I never even finish one dessert. I hate dessert. Definitely not 2 each. Go look again.

Sorry if I offended you, it was purely from memory as I indicated by not knowing any longer where to look.

You could help the OP by providing the link to your bills.

Mike

Sorry if I offended you, it was purely from memory as I indicated by not knowing any longer where to look.

You could help the OP by providing the link to your bills.

Mike

Haha! I wasn't offended! I was cracking up. :p Nah, I won't post those since it wasn't the original question. We can dig them up if needed. :)

Thanks for all the replies. I was originally wondering if there were nights in the MDR that you wouldn't want to miss. I should have been more clear. But was also looking for general tips on when you choose to eat at specialty restaurants. So this has been very helpful.

In looking at the menus on BeyondShips2, I see that no one night is more special than the other in the MDR and there is the option to purchase lobster or surf and turf ala carte there every night. I see there is a seafood buffet usually once a week in the buffet. Anyone know what the quality/selection of that is like?

We were thinking about Tepenyaki, for the kids sake and now I see that unless we want to eat at 9:30, we are pretty much out of luck for the week in terms of making a reservation. I've heard you can walk up and ask if they have any cancellations though. Also was looking at doing Cagney's or Moderno. Thanks for the advice on the SDP. We'll look into that but we may also just end up eating in the MDR each night and a specialty one night.

Looking forward to it regardless! Last cruise was wife and I's honeymoon on Explorer of the Seas from RCCL when it was brand new. That was a blast. I'm thinking the kids will love this too and hope to make it a tradition.

We were thinking about Tepenyaki, for the kids sake and now I see that unless we want to eat at 9:30, we are pretty much out of luck for the week in terms of making a reservation. I've heard you can walk up and ask if they have any cancellations though.

Unless you are typing from the ship right now, then that isn't the only time available. When you board, make your dining reservation. Only a small % is available or pre-booking. Lots still available when you board. Don't wait to try to walk up though.