CB Bypasses Princess Cays

BigTimeCruiser

At 8:45am this morning, Captain Romano announced that the Caribbean Princess would not be stopping at Princess Cays. We had arrived at our anchorage area, but heavy thunderstorms with intense lightning were over the island and throughout the area. Also, high seas were preventing the use of tendors. We have just departed the area of Princess Cays and are heading en route to Fort Lauderdale. Wise decision by the Captain.:)

I agree... good decision. So many people look at the weather and see the sun shining, and don't understand that the Captain has weather forecasts that could make tendering difficult, if not impossible, later in the day. I've had to bypass Grand Cayman a couple of times because of forecast weather. Tenders were able to get in (very bouncy with rough water) but they weren't sure if they could get people back in a few hours.

I seem to remember that a few years ago, at least one cruise ship (not Princess) got people ashore at their private island but then the weather changed and the people had to stay on the beach in inclement weather for hours and hours until the ship's tenders could come back and get them -- it was too rough and dangerous to transport passengers in the tenders. I think they had to spend all night outdoors. Anyone remember this incident?

Archived