Seabourn vs. Crystal

ivyleaguegent

When it comes to comparing cruise lines or even ships for that matter my best advice is in the end even with extensive research you just won't know until you take the plunge yourself.

In the past, what we have done is study the layout for the ship we are considering, reading the information provided by the cruise line on their respective web site and in print because what they emphasize does say a lot about them. I also read the writeup in the Cruising Book published annually by Berlitz and written by Douglas Ward and most importantly I get with a few people who we respect and know our likes/dislikes to see what they think.

In the end though I find it similar to when someone asks compare Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. You can ask all you want but until you get into a vehicle and drive it you won't know for sure whether or not it fits you.

And similar to the car maker analogy ones cruising experience can vary not only by cruise line and voyage but which ship you sail within the cruise line. For example, experiences can vary based on the specific ships due to not only its size but even the crew, not to mention the itinerary.

Most of the items are subjective. This is why we do study the ships diagrams, and what is offered on each ship.

It's always good IMHO to try something new. It might reenforce how much you like the exiting product you have come to know, or you might find that you like the new product better or you might find that you like the new product equally. In any event, you will never know until you try it out for yourself and if it is two new products such as two cruise lines you have never sailed in the end all the research in the world will not guarantee which one is better suited for you or if both are equally suited.

Keith

Henry, as usual, an excellent point and we won't know for sure until we see the specifics on the itineraries. I would suspect that this is a question that those purchasing the condos are already asking but do not know the answer to it.

The new ship will have 48 condos. Not sure whether or not ships two and three will have any.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I suppose Crystal will figure it out. it's just my sense of logic kicking in. If I were buying a condo on a ship I'd want a very different set of itineraries than a regular cruise offers, even a world cruise.

Henry, yes, you logic makes a lot of sense.

I think with a new ship that they could balance this one out with exotic ports and some with stays of two to three days (overnight and overlapping overnights between cruises).

Looking forward to seeing more details on the new ship and itineraries.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I suppose Crystal will figure it out. it's just my sense of logic kicking in. If I were buying a condo on a ship I'd want a very different set of itineraries than a regular cruise offers, even a world cruise.

Hi Henry. I think you are right on. Reports we have from people who have rented aboard The World speak to "coldness and dirty looks" from the residents. We lived in a beach town in FL for quite a few years so can understand that reaction. Different expectations and wants for sure. I know if I had plonked down several million and were paying major "maintenance fees" I too would resent "tourists" booking a week or two. Hey, lots of other nice options out there anyway. Hoping against hope that SS US gets away from the dock.:D:D

Jim, there is a big difference between World and the new Crystal Ship.

On World the ship is all condominiums and that was known up front. And yes, some people bought them to mainly rent out while others rent them out for portions of the year. On the new Crystal ship those purchasing a condominium who will represent a small portion of those on board know up front that the vast majority of those on the ship will be those taking a traditional cruise.

While the ship is not a hotel the concept is similar to many new luxury hotels that include one or more floors of residences. I know, this one is a ship and there are certainly differences.

I agree with Henry that the itineraries will need to be more unique and include several stops where the ship stays in port for a few days at a time in port.

Keith

On World the ship is all condominiums and that was known up front. And yes, some people bought them to mainly rent out while others rent them out for portions of the year. On the new Crystal ship those purchasing a condominium who will represent a small portion of those on board know up front that the vast majority of those on the ship will be those taking a traditional cruise.

While the ship is not a hotel the concept is similar to many new luxury hotels that include one or more floors of residences. I know, this one is a ship and there are certainly differences.

I agree with Henry that the itineraries will need to be more unique and include several stops where the ship stays in port for a few days at a time in port.

Keith

thanks for the info. The new ships do seem to be fantastic and your point about hotels rings true. Sort of like Diana Ross at the Sherry-Netherland.:D I look forward to learning more about the ships.

Keith

Keith,

Your last sentence is my point exactly. So what I guessing is that Crystal will need to tailor its itineraries to the condo owners. And my question is what will that do to the majority of other passengers who might be more interested in a traditional itinerary? Will it effect their booking on those itineraries? Only time will tell.