Seabourn vs. Crystal

ivyleaguegent

Both are very good , but they are good at different things.

We find that Seabourn has a more international passenger list and culture and that Crystal is a more intense US experience.

It is interesting that on the Crystal passenger list those from the US are described only by their State, whereas those from elsewhere are described by their Country.

Rob

We find that Seabourn has a more international passenger list and culture and that Crystal is a more intense US experience.

It is interesting that on the Crystal passenger list those from the US are described only by their State, whereas those from elsewhere are described by their Country.

Ugh... I travel away from the US to get away from the US, not to be surrounded by it abroad. That would be a major negative in my book... but I'm glad to know that!

• 4 months later...
Would the folks who have sailed on both Seabourn and Crystal (and who are not cheerleaders for either) kindly compare and contrast the two lines? I have sailed on Celebrity extensively and have sailed on SS which I absolutely loved. I prefer smaller ships and my primary interests in a cruise line are food, service, and lack of lines.

Thank you!!!

I have a question regarding the two lines. We have sailed on Crystal and very much enjoyed the ship and have also sailed on Oceania. I notice that Seabourn is roughly 25 to 35% higher than Crystal on many cruises. Is Seabourn a more upscale line than Crystal, as the airfare I believe is still additional on both. I'm not concerned about whether it 20 or 25% better - I'm just wondering if people consider Seabourn more upscale than Crystal or whether Seabourn is simply more expensive for roughly the same amenities. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

What do you mean by "upscale"? And if someone said one was more "upscale" would that explain a pricing difference?

There are, of course, reasons why products and services by different suppliers are priced differently. Then there is the question of what the market will bear and adage that you get what you pay for.

What specifically do you want to know? It might help if you quoted the dates and cabin selections for 2 cruises and asked particular questions.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I have a question regarding the two lines. We have sailed on Crystal and very much enjoyed the ship and have also sailed on Oceania. I notice that Seabourn is roughly 25 to 35% higher than Crystal on many cruises. Is Seabourn a more upscale line than Crystal, as the airfare I believe is still additional on both. I'm not concerned about whether it 20 or 25% better - I'm just wondering if people consider Seabourn more upscale than Crystal or whether Seabourn is simply more expensive for roughly the same amenities. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Are you comparing similar size cabin? Size does matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't cruised Crystal, partly because the major difference, which does matter to me, is that Seabourn current ships have max. 450 passengers and Crystal approx. 900 or 1,000 I think. Surprised if SB is so much dearer, but Crystal has a lot more suites to fill overall, even with the 2 ships, Serenity and Symphony. I think if price is very important, you would find some SB cruises comparatively inexpensive at present. Regarding 'upscale', I have no idea. SB is fairly casual, but IMO classy.

Remember that on Crystal a Penthouse is roughly the same size as a regular suite on Seabourn. If you compare prices between those you will find that it is Crystal that is more expensive. If you go to a smaller cabin on Crystal, and they are significantly smaller, Crystal could be less expensive.

Remember that on Crystal a Penthouse is roughly the same size as a regular suite on Seabourn. If you compare prices between those you will find that it is Crystal that is more expensive. If you go to a smaller cabin on Crystal, and they are significantly smaller, Crystal could be less expensive.

I think the PS on Crystal is larger and the Serenity CP is over 1,300 sq ft.

And for those that think Crystal is aloof that is not the case by far. Wait until the new ships come out. The smallest suite will be 400 sq ft. all the way to over 3000 sq ft. We have 27 cruises on Crystal and both ships are very luxurious. We do dining by reservation which has always worked out well as we are always able to change our time. The other thing is Crystal ships are never fully booked to capacity due to the number of solo cruisers

And for those that think Crystal is aloof that is not the case by far. Wait until the new ships come out. The smallest suite will be 400 sq ft. all the way to over 3000 sq ft. We have 27 cruises on Crystal and both ships are very luxurious. We do dining by reservation which has always worked out well as we are always able to change our time. The other thing is Crystal ships are never fully booked to capacity due to the number of solo cruisers

We must have been unlucky then, as when we sailed August 2012 the Serenity was actually over capacity. This was because there were a few families on board with extra beds for children placed in cabins. This made it very difficult to change times for dining by reservation unless we wanted to eat after 9.15pm. I asked a few times because on our cruise Rick Spath the Cruise Director, changed the programme from two shows to one show some nights. This show was then during our dinner time so we missed out on the show.

On a positive note......even though the suite was smaller it was well layed out so we were able find places for all our luggage......and I don't pack light :).

Julie

We sailed three times with Seabourn before trying Crystal for a change. I don't think we'd sail with them again unless they had our ideal itinerary. There were a few things that were better than Seabourn - the show entertainment and the detination lectures, for example, but more that we didn't like:

- the greater passenger numbers

- the smoking in the most attractive bar, relegating us to either a very dark pub-like bar or one next to the ballroom dancers (apologies, can't remember names of the bars)

- dining by reservation meant we ate in the same small area of the dining room each night, which was tedious

- breakfast seemed like a queue up cafeteria.

- above all the stateroom; smaller than SB and poorly planned.

The food was good on both lines, although our SB cruise earlier this month rang alarm bells re cuisine, both quality and choice of same.

Hi!

I cruised with both:

- Food is very good on both!

- Standard balcony cabins on the Crystal ship very small / good size on Seabourn

- Nearly all-inclusive on both!

- Service was excellent on both!

- More passengers on Crystal!

- More public venues on Crystal

I would not cruise with Crystal again because of the small cabins!

- the smoking in the most attractive bar, relegating us to either a very dark pub-like bar or one next to the ballroom dancers (apologies, can't remember names of the bars)

claranda obviously hasn't been on board Crystal recently, smoking was outlawed in the Cove bar I think effective January 2014.

Yes Crystal's staterooms are only 70% the size of Seaborne's but a recent search of next summer's fares show them to be 50% of the cost as well. If you're willing to pay Seaborne's rate, you can have a Penthouse on Crystal which is the same size.

A regular penthouse on Crystal is less than 400 sq. ft. (360 on the Symphony, I believe.) You are talking about the penthouse suites and if you want to compare those prices they are WAY WAY more expensive.

A regular penthouse on Crystal is less than 400 sq. ft. (360 on the Symphony, I believe.) You are talking about the penthouse suites and if you want to compare those prices they are WAY WAY more expensive.

You did not read my post correctly...I said the two new Crystal ships will have the largest staterooms at sea. Read it again.

Would the folks who have sailed on both Seabourn and Crystal (and who are not cheerleaders for either) kindly compare and contrast the two lines? I have sailed on Celebrity extensively and have sailed on SS which I absolutely loved. I prefer smaller ships and my primary interests in a cruise line are food, service, and lack of lines.

Thank you!!!

My mom was a die-hard SB (and also SS) cruiser but a few years ago switched to Crystal because she and her gentleman friend love activity. She says there's much more to do on Crystal. (Clearly, she is more active than me, but just to give you a perspective, I still work -- A LOT -- so I prefer more sedate cruises, skiing vacations notwithstanding.) If you like lots to do and activity, then Crystal beats SB, but based on your post, that is not a priority for you. Crystal is also a larger ship and more pax but she says still fabulous service. I suggest you post the same on the Crystal board if you have not yet done so. My mom does say the cabins on Crystal are smaller, if that matters to you. I've never been on Crystal, but having been twice on SS, SB beats SS hands down re service, food, even pax. (We had a butler on SS who walked in on us -- creepy. Didn't knock. Ugh.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hobar of Scottsdale

1957 Staten Island Ferry

1992 Norwegian, Caribbean

February 2002 Seabourn Legend, Costa Rica to Ft. Lauderdale (via Panama canal)

December 2002 SeaDream, Caribbean

July 2003 Seabourn Spirit, Istanbul to Venice

August 2003 Seabourn Spirit, Venice to Rome

March 2004 Silversea, Mexican Riviera

February 2005 Seabourn Spirit, Singapore to Hong Kong

April 2007 Seabourn Pride, Monte Carlo to Istanbul

July 2008 No cruise but visits to Malaga and Mallorca to the homes of new friends we made on Seabourn in 2005!

March 2010 Silversea, Singapore to Dubai

December 2011 Seabourn Sojourn, Santiago to Buenos Aires

August-Sept 2013 Seabourn Quest, Monte Carlo to Barcelona

October-November 2015 Seabourn Sojourn, Athens to Dubai

Edited by Hobar

Personally, I don't understand the whole concept for these two new Crystal ships. With a whole section of condos on top and the rest regular cabins. People who buy condos on a ship have a whole different agenda than those who board for two weeks or so. They will want longer stays in ports, more unusual itineraries etc. How will Crystal ever satisfy all these unique requirements?

I think only a few condos are planned for one new ship not both. Crystal already has people that live onboard almost year round. This could all change in a heartbeat. Edie

has very high expectations. Heck, people that bought on the World are trying to sell them or rent them out. Not too many people will be buying these condos as you can charter a private yacht or fly privately to an upscale resort for the multimillion cost of buying one.

Apparently GHK has deep pockets with the yachts, riverboats, planes and two new ocean ships. As they say, time will tell. What is next hotels?

I've done a whole lot of Seabourn cruising and less on Crystal, but that includes one full World Cruise. Here's my opinion:

Cabins: Standard SB better, but I've never sailed in Crystal penthouse

Crew: Both terrific, but officers and cruise staff much friendlier on SB

Bridge( duplicate): infinitely better on Crystal

Crowd: SB more international, Crystal just about all American, except for occasional large groups or families from China, Philippines, etc, but they didn't seem to mingle much

Food: Crystal better overall, particularly Silk Road and Prego. On the other hand, SB much more eager to make special orders. I'm hoping the Thomas Keller connection continues to improve the quality of SB

Ship: Crystal much prettier.

Dining: I preferred knowing which table I was going to get each evening, which is standard on Crystal, but, actually, also do-able on open-seating Seabourn ( Well, they really try if you ask them, but don't guarantee it)

Entertainment: Neither particularly noteworthy, but Seabourn maybe a bit classier. Crystal has a great movie theater, though.

Dancing: Crystal, by far.

Itinerary: Seabourn stubbornly does not have a true World Cruise; Crystal does

Tenders: A nightmare on Crystal, fine on SB

Loyalty program: Seabourn much more generous

Overall: The general feeling on Seabourn has always felt to me much warmer and friendlier than on Crystal, but that could be because I know more people there. But basically, you can't lose with either!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Bunny and George,

Is that you? I knew you were going on Crystal sometime after we visited your pile and then we lost touch. Never mind... your comment about Crystal's dancing being better "by far" clued me in. Of course, we could never keep up with you in that department.

Hope all is well and that we see you on Seabourn at the Sky Bar for some bitterballen. I promise there won't be a time limit on this occasion!

Happy and healthy cruising!

Personally, I don't understand the whole concept for these two new Crystal ships. With a whole section of condos on top and the rest regular cabins. People who buy condos on a ship have a whole different agenda than those who board for two weeks or so. They will want longer stays in ports, more unusual itineraries etc. How will Crystal ever satisfy all these unique requirements?

Henry, as usual, an excellent point and we won't know for sure until we see the specifics on the itineraries. I would suspect that this is a question that those purchasing the condos are already asking but do not know the answer to it.

The new ship will have 48 condos. Not sure whether or not ships two and three will have any.

Keith