Question about accessible stateroom

kbset

We obviously don't need an accessible stateroom for our cruise this year but if we cruise from 2017 and on we will because our daughter will have a wheelchair. I always err on the side of caution so I will have a doctors note :) Thanks for all of your replies, I greatly appreciate it!!

That won't work in an accessible cabin since there is no lip

While booking well in advance is the only sure way to get an accessible cabin, they sometimes don't fill up or sometimes one will open up because someone cancelled or changed to a different cruise. My mom has accessibility needs, and we've booked late and early.

We've also been known to book a non-accessible (always hoping an accessible will open up) that is just a slightly larger room (usually the label is superior) and just know we can only bring the collapsible wheelchair and the request the toilet seat riser and the tub chair. There are check boxes for most needs on the accessible needs special request form on the RCI website. It's cramped if we do this, and sometimes in the night I'll bang a knee or toe on the wheelchair. It's worth it though to get to cruise when and where we want.

I don't have the room to move around in my wheelchair if I tried to use a standard room. Plus the bathroom is bigger with a roll in shower and the doorways are wider. There is a ramp to go out to the balcony. I have never been in a "regular" cabin but going down the hallway the doorways looked narrow to me.

To the orginal poster in the shower there is a fold down bench maybe your child can sit on that to be bathed. There is no lip in the shower so plugging the drain would not work. It is a hand held showerhead so you can make it work one way or the other :).

There is a form Royal has for proof of NEED for an Accessible Room a good Travel Agent will provide you with it.

(I Have MILD mobility Problem) My Parents & Booked an accessible room in 2009 We filled out part of the form my Doctor Filled most of and Faxed it to Royal in Miami (If memory serves Correctly)

Accessible Rooms ARE ONLY Relased to the Gerenal Public 2 Months Before sail date IF NO Person(s) who require an Accessible have Booked them.

Accessible rooms cost the SAME as the Other rooms in their Category

Standard K & Accessible K Will Cost the Same this is even TRUE of the Accessible JS & Standard JS

YOU Only Have to Complete this Form ONCE

Accessible Rooms are Larger than their counterparts in the Same Category

To the orginal poster in the shower there is a fold down bench maybe your child can sit on that to be bathed. There is no lip in the shower so plugging the drain would not work. It is a hand held showerhead so you can make it work one way or the other :).

I forgot about the Fold-down Chair in the Shower Stall that probably be Useful for the OP

• 1 month later...

Hi, We have just booked our first cruise with Royal Caribbean, My husband walks with a stick and cannot climb into a bath at all and I asked our travel agent if there was any cabins with just a shower, I was surprised to be offered a disabled cabin. But I weren't going to refuse it.

Hi, We have just booked our first cruise with Royal Caribbean, My husband walks with a stick and cannot climb into a bath at all and I asked our travel agent if there was any cabins with just a shower, I was surprised to be offered a disabled cabin. But I weren't going to refuse it.

Most all cabins only have showers. I believe only Junior Suites and above have tubs. With the accessible cabin though he will enjoy a much bigger bathroom with grab bars by the toilet and in the shower if needed.

Edited by ryano

There is a small step up into the bathroom in standard cabins but not handicapped. I would think that it would be easier and better for your husband to have the handicapped cabin.

Yes most cabins have only showers, with small lips to enter. If your Husband doesn't need all the other features of an accessible cabin i.e. Widened doors for a wheelchair, complete roll in shower, ect, you may want to consider leaving the accessible cabin for those that truly need those features. If your DH does then by all means keep it.