Better Late than Never, 1/3-1/15 Review on Anthem

kjclosson

Any pictures of the Anthem GS? They seem to be very few and far between and was just curious to see what they look like. Thanks.

DH said he took pictures on his phone, when in reality he forgot. Said he was waiting for the room to be made up to get a good pic. Found these online, they are the exact layout of the room we had 8638. The 2 sinks in the bathroom were a nice touch.

193237.jpeg

193216.jpeg

193353.jpeg

143025.jpeg

Can you please explain what Northstar is? We are going on the Anthem on May 5 2016 we been on many cruises but never heard of Northstar thanks for any information

Sure, Northstar is only on Quantam class ships, (Quantam, Anthem and Ovation) it is a 300ft observational pod on the top deck that rises up for 360 degree views. The pod is attached to a 135ft arm. The arm goes out over the edge when not in port, because of local laws. RCI says it was inspired by the London Eye only not on a ferris wheel bug on a large robotic arm. You may book a reservation as an activity ahead of time on your calendar and they also have first come first served times during the cruise.

I suggest booking a time while the ship is in a port, weather is more likely to cooperate and the views of the landscape of the port are breathtaking. I was able to book at sunset on our last day in port. I believe there were a total of 12-14 total in there while we went up. A crew member goes up with you, there is a box of binoculars they can be used while up there. The actual time up there isn't very long but is really something to experience, it lasted from beginning to end about 10-15 minutes. I have some pictures on my phone so I will post those here now, the better pictures are still on my Canon. I will try to post those when I get a chance.

Here is the Northstar at extension.

r90_130104.jpeg

This is a better picture, can see in relation to the top deck.

r90_132633.jpeg

Here I am in the Northstar and you can see behind me how high we are. I usually smile in every picture but I think I was concentrating too much.

r90_180005.jpeg

On the way up

180218.jpeg

Part of the ship and St Kitts

175949.jpeg

Thank you so much for your review and photos! I have a bunch of questions for you!

I will be on the Anthem next week! Also staying at Country Inn pre-cruise! I have stayed there pre and post-cruise before, but can you say whether the walk to the outlet mall felt safe? I would like to go to keep myself busy but it would be dark outside both ways and I am traveling solo (similar age range as yourself)... Yay or nay? Also you mentioned you took the early shuttle - when I contacted the hotel they said the shuttles are usually at 10 and 12... Sounds like yours was at 11? Unfortunately I tried to pre-book but they wouldn't allow a booking until check-in.

Do you know if iFly and NorthStar were open on embarkation day?

Where did you spend sailaway from NJ? I have froze in the winter on deck several times and don't feel the need to do that this time - would the solarium be a good place to stay warm and maybe take a dip while still enjoying the views? If so, I will take my swimsuit in my carry-on!

I know you didn't need to check out towels with the suite area, but did you happen to notice where the towel stands were located for everyone else? Was there one in the solarium?

Any experience with breakfast and lunch in the solarium? Same food as the WJ or different? On Oasis class, they serve a "healthier" menu and I really enjoyed the grilled veggies and gazpacho station.

And totally random question - what kind of jacket did you wear for embarkation and disembarkation? I can suffer in a few moments of coldness outside to get on and off and in and out of shuttles, but did you find yourself outside much when it was still cold out? I'm unsure of whether to take a knee-length down coat with hood, wool coat with hood, or puffy vest with hood! Any thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance!

Did they have a comedian on board? Was there a place with a jazz band?

Not sure what the length of your itinerary is but we had 2 comedians on our 12 night. On day 4 we had Phil Tag (bio says appeared on Jay Leno, soon to be on with Jimmy Fallon). He was a clean comic, material was about traveling, the ship etc. And on day 9 we had Jim David, I've heard him before on tv, google him you will recognize him. We didn't see him that night but he did a late night adult comedy show on day 11. It was adult and some people don't like that so they walk out, but still we thought it was funny. He also DJ'ed one night which I thought was different.

Jazz music was played in the Schooner Bar and Boleros on a few different nights. There was also music nightly in a lot of different venues and it covered a wide variety of styles. Piano, dance, Latin, guitar melodies, big band, calypso, ballroom, pop, Beatles cover and etc. And they were all really good, love Katrina Love and Synergy, they played lots of different music, lots of energy, goes into the crowd.

Hope this helps [emoji3]

Thank you so much for your review and photos! I have a bunch of questions for you!

I will be on the Anthem next week! Also staying at Country Inn pre-cruise! I have stayed there pre and post-cruise before, but can you say whether the walk to the outlet mall felt safe? I would like to go to keep myself busy but it would be dark outside both ways and I am traveling solo (similar age range as yourself)... Yay or nay? Also you mentioned you took the early shuttle - when I contacted the hotel they said the shuttles are usually at 10 and 12... Sounds like yours was at 11? Unfortunately I tried to pre-book but they wouldn't allow a booking until check-in.

Do you know if iFly and NorthStar were open on embarkation day?

Where did you spend sailaway from NJ? I have froze in the winter on deck several times and don't feel the need to do that this time - would the solarium be a good place to stay warm and maybe take a dip while still enjoying the views? If so, I will take my swimsuit in my carry-on!

I know you didn't need to check out towels with the suite area, but did you happen to notice where the towel stands were located for everyone else? Was there one in the solarium?

Any experience with breakfast and lunch in the solarium? Same food as the WJ or different? On Oasis class, they serve a "healthier" menu and I really enjoyed the grilled veggies and gazpacho station.

And totally random question - what kind of jacket did you wear for embarkation and disembarkation? I can suffer in a few moments of coldness outside to get on and off and in and out of shuttles, but did you find yourself outside much when it was still cold out? I'm unsure of whether to take a knee-length down coat with hood, wool coat with hood, or puffy vest with hood! Any thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance!

Yes the walk felt safe, the hotel areas is well lit and the stop light at the entrance of the hotels is the same light used for the mall entrance. So there are designated crosswalks for it, the parking lot to the mall is well lit and there are tons of people walking everywhere so it felt like a public safe area. I think it's probably a total of 200 yards. We walked over around 6 and didn't get back until almost 10 and even though it was late it felt fine.

They told me the shuttle was at 11, so I got into the lobby for 10:30, there were already lots of people waiting, so we went outside with our luggage and were second people on the shuttle. They don't allow pre booking but when you check in make that the first thing you do, confirm the time, how many pieces of luggage you will be carrying. Make sure to get the slip they provide you need that on the return trip.

Not sure about iFly but Northstar was book able because I first had us booked to use it on day 1 in New York but later changed my mind. You can book ahead of time by going online and logging into My Cruises and then Cruise Planner, from there you can book your activities by day. I think you have to be within so many days to sailing to do this, you can find out on your My Cruises page. While on the cruise you can use the Royal IQ app to make changes in scheduling. If you want to do the Puzzle Break Room you have to book that in person in the Seaplex.

[emoji599]UPDATE[emoji599] I just found my day 1 cruise compass, and yes iFly was open from noon-1:00pm and then again from 4:00pm-6:00pm. Northstar was open from noon-2:00pm no reservations required, then 3:30pm-7:00pm.

I too have done the freezing my ears off sail away, it loses its charm when you can't feel your face [emoji16]. I did go on deck before sail away to grab a few pictures of One World Trade and Statue of Liberty. The special sail away drink was hot chocolate in a souvenir cup with the option of spiking it with liquor. Nice touch! Yes I would go to the Solarium as it is the most forward facing deck in which you can see the front of the ship. It is heated in there and is extremely popular with the older crowd as a result. There are multi level drop off pools and hot tubs that face the windows, nice view for sail away. Even if you don't want to swim you can still enjoy the Solarium views for sail away. By the time we got under the bridge I was back in my room because I like to grab a picture from the starboard side because that is where the sunset is.

I don't remember a towel area in the Solarium but there is a easily accessible one on the main pool deck. Coming out of the elevators on deck 14, Johnny Rockets will be on you right as you pass through to the outside and about 30 feet from that on the right is a large stand to check out towels. To get to the indoor pool area and the Solarium you will pass this stand. So it's not hidden and never really a long wait.

I only ate at Solarium Bistro for dinner but yes it is considered "lighter, healthier fare". I know that for breakfast is was lots of fruit, yogurts etc. I don't know what lunch was but I really enjoyed the serve yourself aspect. It was better fare than WJ and I think from he sound of it you will enjoy it. Seems to be in the same vein as those on Oasis class.

I'm a layers kind of girl, I didn't want to take a big jacket, it was plenty cold enough for it but I didn't take it with me. I had on a cami-tank, long sleeve shirt, then light zip track type sweatshirt, then thick zip up with hood sweatshirt, then down vest with scarf and gloves. I never felt too cold, that's what I wore when I walked over to the mall night before too. Only outside for 15 minutes when dropped off to get on cruise then when we got off the ship it was probably close to 20 minutes and I felt ok. I wouldn't have wanted to stay out any longer than that. Wearing my layers as I did I was able to avoid having to pack my bulky sweatshirts, which on some night I felt like wearing on the ship. It didn't have to be cold to be comfortable in a sweatshirt. I wouldn't go with a big coat unless when you are traveling is really that severe and you know yourself and what you can handle.

One thing not to miss is the Virtual Symphony in 270, on the cruise compass you will see a lot of different music and visual options offered but be sure to see this one. It's the American Philharmonic and they play some fan favorite classical pieces and then a whole tribute to John Williams. They included music from Jaws, Jurassic Park, ET, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and they are wonderful.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Edited by kjclosson

....Where did you spend sailaway from NJ? ...

Check your roll call. It should list where you guys decided to have your sail away party. Our roll call, from the January 3 cruise, had our party in the Solarium. Have a great cruise.:)

Thank you for providing this great review, kjclosson! This is one of the best Anthem of the Seas reviews I've read, not only because of your positive attitude, but you've really touched on a lot of the areas folks may have questions about. Beautiful photos too!

Thank you for providing this great review, kjclosson! This is one of the best Anthem of the Seas reviews I've read, not only because of your positive attitude, but you've really touched on a lot of the areas folks may have questions about. Beautiful photos too!

Thanks for the kind words, appreciate that you checked it out. Sometimes it seems like negative reviews overshadow the positive ones. We had such a good time it was hard not talk about it. I had read so many other reviews before we went away I wanted to repay the favor. [emoji3][emoji106]🏻

Thank you so so so much for your reply!!! A few follow up questions!

Too bad there are no towels in the solarium. My room is at the front of the ship and it would have been nice to just go up to the solarium without having to backtrack to midship to get a towel. Re: the towel stand you mentioned - is it outdoors or by the indoor pool? It wouldn't be ideal to have to freeze outside in a swimsuit and cover-up to get a towel on my way from my warm cabin to the warm solarium! :)

Thanks for the details on your layers as well! I was trying to avoid taking a bulky jacket too (I have to fly and I'm dreading lugging my carry on (which will be either a small backpack or a shoulder bag), purse, large suitcase, and jacket through the airport). But after trying on several ideas now with my down vest, I think it will turn out to be even more of a hassle with the layers I would need under it. So I'll likely go with either my wool coat or my down coat after all and deal with carrying it so that if I'm hot, I just have to take off the one jacket rather than 12 other layers! :)

On the wardrobe note - what did you find yourself wearing onboard, especially on the first and last sea days? I did a cruise out of NJ 2 years ago in the winter and the first sea day was cold to cool - wore a sweatshirt outside and was still chilly. The last sea day was a heat wave and I was swimming. I know clothing requirements can vary drastically depending on weather patterns and whatnot, but how was the weather on your cruise and what were most passengers wearing? I'm thinking of bringing a zip-up denim jacket for the first and last day, and a zippered sweatshirt as well (I wouldn't wear them together, but either/or). Any thoughts?

Also did you happen to notice what people were wearing in The Grande? I have it booked for the first night which I understand is not formal, and for one other night. I'm trying to avoid bringing a dress as everything that goes along with it. Could I get away with pants and some sort of nice top? I think even if I did wear a dress, I might feel out of place around the ship before/after since it's only "formal night" for those eating there! Perhaps I'm over-thinking it!

What time did your luggage show up on your first day? If I'm swimming as planned (which I think would be an awesome way to kick-start this "short" 7-night cruise), I'll need my luggage after to prep for dinner. Too much to carry on with me! :) Did you use the app to track it? Did it work?

What time did the cabins open? I know it's usually 1-ish but I'm hoping to be able to drop off my luggage somewhere so I can try to do other stuff before sailaway and before it gets too busy... Like North Star and maybe iFly, and the bumper cars. And it looks like everything starts at noon so I don't want to miss out on valuable time lugging around my stuff! (Assuming I get to the port and onboard by noon with the shuttle from Country Inn! Haha).

Thanks so much once again!

Too bad there are no towels in the solarium. My room is at the front of the ship and it would have been nice to just go up to the solarium without having to backtrack to midship to get a towel. Re: the towel stand you mentioned - is it outdoors or by the indoor pool? It wouldn't be ideal to have to freeze outside in a swimsuit and cover-up to get a towel on my way from my warm cabin to the warm solarium! :)

Thanks for the details on your layers as well! I was trying to avoid taking a bulky jacket too (I have to fly and I'm dreading lugging my carry on (which will be either a small backpack or a shoulder bag), purse, large suitcase, and jacket through the airport). But after trying on several ideas now with my down vest, I think it will turn out to be even more of a hassle with the layers I would need under it. So I'll likely go with either my wool coat or my down coat after all and deal with carrying it so that if I'm hot, I just have to take off the one jacket rather than 12 other layers! :)

On the wardrobe note - what did you find yourself wearing onboard, especially on the first and last sea days? I did a cruise out of NJ 2 years ago in the winter and the first sea day was cold to cool - wore a sweatshirt outside and was still chilly. The last sea day was a heat wave and I was swimming. I know clothing requirements can vary drastically depending on weather patterns and whatnot, but how was the weather on your cruise and what were most passengers wearing? I'm thinking of bringing a zip-up denim jacket for the first and last day, and a zippered sweatshirt as well (I wouldn't wear them together, but either/or). Any thoughts?

Also did you happen to notice what people were wearing in The Grande? I have it booked for the first night which I understand is not formal, and for one other night. I'm trying to avoid bringing a dress as everything that goes along with it. Could I get away with pants and some sort of nice top? I think even if I did wear a dress, I might feel out of place around the ship before/after since it's only "formal night" for those eating there! Perhaps I'm over-thinking it!

What time did your luggage show up on your first day? If I'm swimming as planned (which I think would be an awesome way to kick-start this "short" 7-night cruise), I'll need my luggage after to prep for dinner. Too much to carry on with me! :) Did you use the app to track it? Did it work?

What time did the cabins open? I know it's usually 1-ish but I'm hoping to be able to drop off my luggage somewhere so I can try to do other stuff before sailaway and before it gets too busy... Like North Star and maybe iFly, and the bumper cars. And it looks like everything starts at noon so I don't want to miss out on valuable time lugging around my stuff! (Assuming I get to the port and onboard by noon with the shuttle from Country Inn! Haha).

There could be a towel stand in the solarium I just never looked for it. You would probably get the towel before you went swimming anyway. You would need a place to leave your belongings while in the water and your towel on your chair will act as a "space saver". The towel stand is technically outside as it is on the main pool deck but it is under the overhang near the windows and not a far walk from the Solarium. Towel stand is not considered in the back of the ship.

Whatever seems best for you regarding your coat you will know the weather as your departure nears. I didn't realize you were flying so there is more to think about too.

On the first day at sea, I was in jeans, t shirt and light sweatshirt. By that evening I had changed into dressier pants and a short sleeve top with 3/4 sleeve sweater for dinner at Coastal Kitchen. During the first few days down I wore capris as it wasn't too warm yet and a variety of short sleeve tops and sleeveless tops and usually carried or wore a light sweater or sweatshirt. Once we got to the islands, I only wore shorts and tshirts or tank tops, then onboard for dinners I had skirts, dress pants, and a couple dresses. The last few days we had hit rough water, ship was rolling and the wind was too much to go up on deck. I was in jeans, sneakers, and tshirts and sweatshirts. In the evening I still wore dressier items to dinner. The items you described, light zip up jacket and sweatshirt sound like a good idea. There were some spots were it was cooler than others on the ship and you will find yourself feeling more comfortable with those light layers.

I didn't eat at the Grande but I did observer a variety of outfits people wore to eat there. They ranged from those who didn't take the dress code as a guide as in tshirts and shorts to those who wore a tux and gown. As long as you look polished and put together and comfortable you will be fine. I think dressier pants and a nice top with nice shoes and jewelry you will be fine. No need to wear a dress if you think it's more effort than it's worth. I wore pants, skirts, dresses to dinner. I never felt over dressed, although there is no formal night, plenty of people like to dress up regardless.

After lunch on the first day it was about 12:20 and we headed up to our floor, the main doors to the hallways were closed and a small crowd were starting to gather. At 1pm as stated, doors opened and our rooms were ready. Our luggage came in two deliveries, but we got it all before 3pm. I didn't bother tracking it because is came shortly after we settled in. Other people said that the tracking did work, just had to scan all the tags individually, it's not just one tag for all the pieces of luggage.

I think you should be able to bring your carry on to your cabin at 1pm, go do your activities and not worry about the luggage delivery. Try and get some of things you want to do done early, come back and your luggage will be waiting for you, then you an change for dinner and not have wasted the day waiting for your vacation to start. [emoji3][emoji474]🏻[emoji568]

If you have more questions by all means....

Thanks once again for your reply!!!

I will definitely get the towel before heading to the solarium - but since I'll likely be in a swimsuit and cover-up on my way to the solarium, I was hoping not to freeze in the cold to do so! :) Perhaps I'll go get a towel on day 1 before going to my room to put on my swimsuit! Sounds like a better idea so I can stay inside en route to the solarium!

And thanks for the information re: clothing! I did an Alaska cruise in the summer so the weather will be similar in terms of weather changes and whatnot, but it's always a packing challenge making sure I have enough layers and things to mix and match but still staying somewhat stylish!

There are at least 2 two towel stations and both were on the starboard size. Along with the one by the outside pool, there is also one (not in the solarium) in the indoor pool area. If I recall correctly, once you exit the elevators and enter the indoor pool area, the towel station is immediately on your left. Using this station, you wont have to weather the elements by the outdoor pool.

I do think there was a towel station on the port side but it was not in use, when I passed by. You can check out more than 1 towel at a time.

North Star was open on embarkation day and very few knew about it, so wait time was minimal. It was also closed much of the time that day due to maintenance issues.

Awesome! Thanks Meadowlander! :)

You're welcome.

In another thread you inquired about ifly. On embarkation day, lines at guest services were very very long. You can sign up for ifly at their own service desk

on the pool deck. It is towards the back of the ship on the starboard side.

I found signing up for escape the room...most frustrating! I read on these board to sign up at seaplex but I wrongly went to the ifly desk. They were very helpful but could not sign me in. Eventually I did go to seaplex but both attendants were operating bumper cars, so I still did not sign in. I was told (wrongly) that I could use the ipads to sign in for escape the room. I inquired of two officers, one was clueless and the other suggested I go to guest relations, which based on line length I was not going to do. Checked the cruise compass, but it was never listed. I never did make it to this puzzle/game. :mad:

You're welcome.

In another thread you inquired about ifly. On embarkation day, lines at guest services were very very long. You can sign up for ifly at their own service desk

on the pool deck. It is towards the back of the ship on the starboard side.

I found signing up for escape the room...most frustrating! I read on these board to sign up at seaplex but I wrongly went to the ifly desk. They were very helpful but could not sign me in. Eventually I did go to seaplex but both attendants were operating bumper cars, so I still did not sign in. I was told (wrongly) that I could use the ipads to sign in for escape the room. I inquired of two officers, one was clueless and the other suggested I go to guest relations, which based on line length I was not going to do. Checked the cruise compass, but it was never listed. I never did make it to this puzzle/game. :mad:

Our friend who thought he had an ifly reservation with us turn out when he checked in onboard didn't. I believe he didn't confirm his request at the end of the booking process which is a must for all reservations including dining which he messed up a few also. He just showed up at the same time as us and got on as a stand by.

I also couldn't ever find someone at the seaplex desk to sign up for the Puzzle (Escape) Room. I knew the times were 12:30 to 4pm or so, on the sea days so I just showed up when others on our roll call were doing this and got in with no problem as there were still 2 spots available. Also six who had signed up didn't show up so we were only 8 instead of the maximum 15. It was much harder with only 8 as we still had to solve the same number of puzzles, 15 or so, in one hour to get out. We did get the final exit key but the moderator did give us a couple minutes over the hour as we were on the final puzzle when that expired. :D

I did 4 North Star trips, two on standby on days requiring a reservation and one on the first sea day which was open, no res required. Lots of folks just don't show for their reserved times.

Same with the restaurants. We were able to get in earlier on all days, about half of the 12 nights we were onboard, we had a very late, 9pm or later reservation as we booked this cruise quite late and only did the reservation about three weeks prior. Earlier being from 5:45 to 7pm. One thing we noticed was they wouldn't cancel our old reservation time which was really stupid. We quickly figured out there were lots of double bookings for meal reservations. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

Thanks for the tips! I hope there's a proper sign-up for the escape room on Saturday! Sounds stressful for both of you trying to find it!

Can I ask how long the waits were in your experience for iFly and NorthStar for those on standby? Are there certain times that are less busy than others?

Also totally off topic - how warm were the pools in the solarium?

Odd about the puzzle break room sign ups being difficult for some of you. We walked into seaplex and saw the sign up clipboards just sitting on the counter. No crew were at the counter but we just took it upon ourselves to sign up for it.

Will you be posting the compasses?

Each compass is 6 pages, there is the explained long form and also the activities insert. This is day 1, I can post the rest it will just take me a little bit to get them all done.

Here is the explained long form.

r90_000850.jpeg

000909.jpeg

r90_000919.jpeg

Here is the daily activities insert.

r90_000930.jpeg

r90_000938.jpeg

Thanks for the tips! I hope there's a proper sign-up for the escape room on Saturday! Sounds stressful for both of you trying to find it!

Can I ask how long the waits were in your experience for iFly and NorthStar for those on standby? Are there certain times that are less busy than others?

Also totally off topic - how warm were the pools in the solarium?

I did not use IFly due to back concerns.

No waiting at all the first day on NS as it was the first ride of the day and I was in the right place at the right time. The second standby, I waited the amount of time it took for NS to ascend and descend.

As soon as you enter the solarium you will feel the heat. There are 3 or 4 small pools (perhaps kidney shaped) that are tiered or terraced. Water from the top pool overflows into the middle one. Not as much from the 2nd to the 3rd. The last pool has only a few inches of water along with some loungers.

The solarium pools are more for relaxation/cooling off as opposed to swimming due to their shape. The water is warm, much warmer than the outdoor pool.

Enjoy your cruise!