Explorer comments 17/1 to 28/1 New Zealand

Today we returned from a wonderful cruise on Explorer. We all had a fantastic time and our 8 and 10 yr olds were in tears after saying their goodbyes to MDR staff and our cabin attendant.

Our level 10 balcony stateroom was excellent with a new flat screen TV. We were under Windjammer but rarely heard any noise. A great location.

This cruise was the last in the school holidays so numbers of children, whilst still high, were probably lower than the previous cruises. There was no novovirus problem and the seas were generally calm. The swell did cause the ice skating shows to only occur in the latter part of the cruise.

I had read many of the threads before departure and was quite concerned about some of the negative comments. Rather than give a detailed review (no time) I will comment on what many have previously raised and then happy to comment further if others have questions.

The Explorer was at capacity, just shy of 4,000 passengers according to the captain in the Q&A session. The large number of children led to lots of overcrowding in the main pools and spa tub but most just accepted it.

It was very much an Aussie cruise crowd and I'd guess many first timers some in very large multi-generational family groups. Despite not getting a table on the first night in MDR even with a confirmed 6pm time, the service was exceptional and the food excellent. However the childrens menu did not change throughout the cruise. They preferred Windjammer until they hit it off with the MDR staff.

Management showed some flexibility with some breakfast being available in Dizzys.

USD drinks were expensive. Many were certainly determined to get value from their packages but overall I never saw any problems. Half way through the cruise (from Tauranga on) Australian wines became available with a nightly special for USD20 per bottle (Mt Morgan, Penfolds were examples).

My guess is that a lot of the Aussie crowd were not interested/comfortable with MDR and were happy to rely exclusively on Windjammer. Food there was certainly plentiful and on the whole well presented. It would pay to always check out the different sections as not all items were in every section. Sometimes we had to wait for a table but usually one became available within a few minutes.

The Aussie Day BBQ on the pool deck was a good attempt at catering to the core passenger group. Unfortunately we didn't get to eat as the food ran out. Many people took a lot of food in one go rather than return for seconds. The queue was very long and then the weather changed so it all fizzled out - literally. A real pity. The 26th was also India's Republic Day and there were many Indian cruisers as well as crew. It was only mentioned in the Captain's noon report as 'aussie aussie aussie' resounded throughout the ship regularly. There were always Indian dishes available throughout the cruise and they were great.

The staff at the entrance to all food venues were very strict with the handwash requirements. You had to do it. However there was far less of the banister wiping as previously reported. Toilet doors seemed to be rarely opened with paper towels. The biggest risk I would guess is the rattan style seats in Windjammer, those arm rests would be hard to sanitise and I would point to them as being a problem.

Some cruiser hygiene practices were grim. I saw one woman pick out a steak with her fingers then return it. Other times I saw people picking out fruit and bread with their fingers and then returning it. MDR is the best option if you are worried about it.

We tried all the entertainment and the kids used most of the outdoor activities. The evening shows were ok to good and we were always able to get seats even for the last night. The Cruise Director was only ok but his English crew did a better job.

The two negatives for us were the Kids Club and the lack of control of teenage children by parents. The first is just too old and worn out, my two kids lasted an hour there - the threat of a return there was sufficient to get good behaviour! The staff seemed disinterested and the activities they offered were totally uninteresting for today's child. The Club rooms had not been updated and were really tired. It might work for the younger kids.

Unfortunately the only big negative on the cruise was the behaviour of a significant percentage of the older kids on board. Some were out of control and enjoyed baiting the staff. The only time I saw a decent dressing down was from an English entertainment woman who took on 4 big teenagers who would not stop jumping in and out of the pool during a pool side show and disturbing a lot of people.

Many parents seemed to absolve themselves of any requirement to supervise their kids and some thought using cb radios was sufficient. Many younger kids playing in the pools and spas were not directly supervised - parents just sat around drinking on the lounges. Sometimes staff did watch kids in the pool but they did not pretend to be lifeguards. The last straw for us was finding a 6 yr old on his own in a lift heading up to Dizzys at about midnight. Perhaps he was looking for his parents. There was a ship security guy in the lift as well - he did not see it as a problem and smiled when I suggested this was not appropriate. The curfew for under 18s was 1am, perhaps 11pm might be more suitable.

The OPT was excellent both ways - we processed quickly both ways. Sadly obtaining a taxi was a nightmare and this morning there were ugly scenes with cruisers getting really angry due to perceived and real queue jumping. Cruisers with lots of luggage needed the bigger taxis and the contract staff outside were unable to work out a queuing system for cruisers with different taxi needs.

Apart from the last paragraphs (to be read as an observation as it rarely affected us) we had a really good time on Explorer and would recommend that particular trip around New Zealand too.

I completely agree regarding kids onboard. We were on the cruise prior to yours and had the same situations regarding kids and teens running from one end of the ship to the other, unsupervised. I think a lot of parents board the ship and believe because they're on vacation too, they no longer need to watch their kids, therefore making everyone else have to put up with the little darlings doing whatever the hell they want. I really wish RCI would put a lifeguard on duty at the pools as well.

This is the one big reason to avoid the school holiday cruises.:D

However, things could be worse. I happen to know that the current passenger list of Explorer which left Sydney earlier today included over 100 ex-Royal Aust Navy personnel and their partners. :eek: Some of this crowd is known to me and quite frankly I would run the gauntlet with the teenagers any day. :D

However, things could be worse. I happen to know that the current passenger list of Explorer which left Sydney earlier today included over 100 ex-Royal Aust Navy personnel and their partners. :eek: Some of this crowd is known to me and quite frankly I would run the gauntlet with the teenagers any day. :D

Yes, I suppose that may crowd the bar areas significantly.

I went on the Explorer Xmas & NY cruise. It was absolutely awesome IMO! The only 2 faults were of our own. Aged 5 & 3 [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24-Dec-2015Explorer Of The Seas13nt South Pacific - New Zealand Cruise

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

LOL, that is easily remedied.:cool:

We could only get them to kids club once [emoji15] they were more interested in the pools, ice skating, & chucking tantrums if we were doing something other than that [emoji16]

One word - "Grandparents'.;)

[emoji106] if only they weren't constantly booked on their own cruises!!!!

Sydwelsh

We were on this cruise as well, totally agree with you about the unsupervised minors, I saw two girls no older than 8 wandering around deck 10 most days - no adults in sight!!! Some parents take significant risks!

Sydwelsh

We were on this cruise as well, totally agree with you about the unsupervised minors, I saw two girls no older than 8 wandering around deck 10 most days - no adults in sight!!! Some parents take significant risks!

I think people forget that they are out in a public area with many other strangers, and some people treat the whole ship as their own back yard.

I think people should treat their cabin as their home and everything else on the ship is public, the corridor may be the street, the shops and bars the local mall and the upper decks would be the public park and pool.

I completely agree regarding kids onboard. We were on the cruise prior to yours and had the same situations regarding kids and teens running from one end of the ship to the other, unsupervised. I think a lot of parents board the ship and believe because they're on vacation too, they no longer need to watch their kids, therefore making everyone else have to put up with the little darlings doing whatever the hell they want. I really wish RCI would put a lifeguard on duty at the pools as well.

On our first cruise on the Rhapsody in 2011 they had lifeguards at the pool.

Edited by cruisine21

We were also on this cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are diamond plus with RCCL and had no real complaints other than our 16 year old and many other teens on board appeared to have very little to do. Our son seemed often bored and the kids club was sadly lacking. There were a great many teenagers wandering aimlessly about, congregating in lifts etc. Otherwise, food was good, ice show great, but I was not taken with the shows on most nights as many I had already seen on other cruises. The movies screened inside were infrequent and usually more suited to children, but I guess it was a school holiday cruise. We are back on Explorer in April and are really looking forward to it.:)

Hi, do they have more Australian beer while cruising in Australia eg VB etc

Yes, VB, Tooheys , XXXX.

But some much better American stuff. Sierra Nevada, Goose Island, Sam Adams etc.

Yes, VB, Tooheys , XXXX.

But some much better American stuff. Sierra Nevada, Goose Island, Sam Adams etc.

Thanks for that, how much did the beers cost

Thanks for that, how much did the beers cost

$6.50 for most of them. $7.50 for the aluminum Bud & Bud light. Which I found funny as it's the cheap stuff!

There are loads of other beers on board also!

$6.50 for most of them. $7.50 for the aluminum Bud & Bud light. Which I found funny as it's the cheap stuff!

There are loads of other beers on board also!

Does that price include 18% Gratuity and i take that is US price