Experienced cruiser....NEW to Princess and Crown...not to be missed??

SakeDad

Have worked and cruised on several lines and ships. But we are about to go on a week Crown Mexican Riv (live in Puerto Vallarta and Vegas so port info is not important)

As we have never been on Princess what are some NOT-TO-BE-MISSED activities, areas of the ship, favorite foods, favorite drinks and favorite SECRETS of the ship to make the MOST of our week. We have an inside cabin so need to know the best locations on deck to hang, whether relaxing, sunning or people watching. Thanks in advance for all the suggestions! :D

Use the starboard aft elevator and go up to Deck 19. There's a fun mini golf course there and also a basketball court that no one hardly ever uses. There's also a little jogging track.

This deck is also a great place to take photos of the sides of the ship from up high.

International Cafe

Skywalker's opens late as a night club, but is open all day, no staff, for sitting, reading, viewing.

Magic to Do production Show. It has received good reviews. Normally shows are scheduled in the 8/8:30 time slot with a second show in the 10/10:30 slot. The 8/8:30 shows are the most crowded, you have to arrive around 30 mins before the show to get a good seat. 10pm shows are normally less crowded. No reservations for shows, they are all walk in.

Crown Grill and Sabatini's are nice specialty restaurants and are $25/pp.

Some evenings there will be The Crab Shack held in a closed off seating area of Cafe Caribe, $20/pp

Like espresso drinks, check out the cafe select card in you cruise personalizer.

The all inclusive beverage package is also available at $56.35/pp/day, must purchase for all days of the cruise. Any beverage alcoholic or non-alcoholic priced $10 or under which is 95% of all drinks on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't miss the Crown Grill. We enjoy that venue. There is an additional charge of $25pp but worth it. Soup to nuts meal.:):) Make reservations as soon as you board.

The International Café is another must to me. We buy the coffee card and enjoy our morning coffee there. The pastries are very good.:)

If you like Italian, order the Fettuccini Alfredo for dinner. Delicious.:D

We enjoy hanging out in the pool area.:)

You picked a great ship for your first Princess cruise. The Crown class ships are my favorite in the fleet. On my cruise to Mexico on the Crown Princess last year one thing that really made an impression on me was how wonderfully this ship is able to absorb a full capacity of passengers. I kept asking myself "where are all the other people" ? This ship is full of little quiet nooks & crannies.

Not to be missed IMHO:

1) Aft Pool - The most serene pool on board with beautiful aft facing ocean views. The music is played so low it's almost non existent. You can relax listening to the sound of the wake against the ships hull. The other passengers who gravitate here are also of the relax and mellow mindset. Aft view pools are becoming increasingly rare on newbuilds.

2) Skywalkers - Too hot, too much sun ? This is a wonderful day time observation lounge, mostly never found/used by other passengers. This tip top "nightclub" is usually deserted during the day. Excellent views from the highest public room on the ship. Reading, sleeping, reading,.... repeat.

3) Adagio - Yet another quiet gem of a lounge. Classical music, Ella Fitzgerald, Lois Armstrong, Billy Holliday, Cole Porter playing in the background.

4) International Cafe - Atrium/Foyer people watching at its best!

5) Wheelhouse Bar - Nautically correct, classic Ocean Liner lounge.

6) MDR Lunch - At least one of the MDR's is open for a limited time on embarkation day. Not to be missed. It's much more enjoyable than to rush and crowds in the buffet. Lunch served in the MDR on embarkation day is another thing mostly gone from cruising. I appreciate that Princess makes the effort.

7) Caribbean Court - (I might have the name wrong on this) It's the aft most seating area of the Horizon Court buffet, past the elevator/stairwell foyer. Always easy to find a ocean view table. Most other passengers don't think to go further aft..... & waalaa, empty space with plenty of available seating !

8) Steam/Sauna Rooms - Free of charge and spacious on this ship.

I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy Princess Cruises.

You picked a great ship for your first Princess cruise. The Crown class ships are my favorite in the fleet. On my cruise to Mexico on the Crown Princess last year one thing that really made an impression on me was how wonderfully this ship is able to absorb a full capacity of passengers. I kept asking myself "where are all the other people" ? This ship is full of little quiet nooks & crannies.

Not to be missed IMHO:

1) Aft Pool - The most serene pool on board with beautiful aft facing ocean views. The music is played so low it's almost non existent. You can relax listening to the sound of the wake against the ships hull. The other passengers who gravitate here are also of the relax and mellow mindset. Aft view pools are becoming increasingly rare on newbuilds.

2) Skywalkers - Too hot, too much sun ? This is a wonderful day time observation lounge, mostly never found/used by other passengers. This tip top "nightclub" is usually deserted during the day. Excellent views from the highest public room on the ship. Reading, sleeping, reading,.... repeat.

3) Adagio - Yet another quiet gem of a lounge. Classical music, Ella Fitzgerald, Lois Armstrong, Billy Holliday, Cole Porter playing in the background.

4) International Cafe - Atrium/Foyer people watching at its best!

5) Wheelhouse Bar - Nautically correct, classic Ocean Liner lounge.

6) MDR Lunch - At least one of the MDR's is open for a limited time on embarkation day. Not to be missed. It's much more enjoyable than to rush and crowds in the buffet. Lunch served in the MDR on embarkation day is another thing mostly gone from cruising. I appreciate that Princess makes the effort.

7) Caribbean Court - (I might have the name wrong on this) It's the aft most seating area of the Horizon Court buffet, past the elevator/stairwell foyer. Always easy to find a ocean view table. Most other passengers don't think to go further aft..... & waalaa, empty space with plenty of available seating !

8) Steam/Sauna Rooms - Free of charge and spacious on this ship.

I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy Princess Cruises.

Wonderful information!! Thank you so much! :D

If the WheelHouse still has Fish & Chips - delicious! Anyone else know if they still have this a couple days at lunch? No additional charge 🙂

They do!! The first one is usually fish and chips (and other menu items) and the second one serves shrimp and chips! The first one is great the second one is outstanding!!

High tea is also really good. The martini bar is super fun depending on the entertainer. Oftentimes, he/she gets the crowd involved and it is a blast.

The pop choir is a fun thing to do if that is your kind of thing. You sign up and practice -- giving a final concert with the rest of the group on the last day of the cruise in the Piazza.

Happy hour twice daily - in the Wheelhouse Bar from 3-4 and Skywalkers at night (cannot remember the hours) - drinks under $10 are buy one, get one for $1 - collect raffle tickets throughout the week with a drawing on the last day in the Wheelhouse at 4 PM

Newlywed and not so newlywed show

Forward pool near the sanctuary has no charge

Massage in the Sanctuary -- NICE and relaxing

I also second:

Adagio Bar

Caribe Café (aft of the Horizon count)

Crown Grill

International Café

Skywalkers for a great place to read and relax

Embarkation lunch in the MDR (they might try to dissuade you but it is open until 1:30)

Mini golf (provided they have fixed it up a bit since last time we were on the Crown)

MUTS -- movies on the pool deck (popcorn served at night ...yum!)

If the WheelHouse still has Fish & Chips - delicious! Anyone else know if they still have this a couple days at lunch? No additional charge 🙂

They call it the Pub Lunch, and it is different from the Salty Dog thing. This is free (except for beverages) and there is a rotating menu of things. I think the fish and chips are always there. It happens on sea days.

If you like Italian, order the Fettuccini Alfredo for dinner. Delicious.:D

--Parmesan Bowl. The Alfredo is a must.

Deck 7 you can walk all the way around the ship. Stairs are involved at the bow but it's nice after a big dinner that involved a Parmesan bowled Alfredo.