Best Beach for Kids/Families

cparkerkite

I wanted to go to Coki Beach because of its proximity to Coral World for the kids, but I've read a lot of reviews recently where Coki is gang saturated, dangerous and the smell of pot everywhere?

We will have our 5 yr old and our friends will have their 8 year old. My husband will do some light snorkeling. When I say light, I mean LIGHT.... only a novice and doesn't do it long, maybe 30 minutes or less. The rest of us will just swim, make sand castles and enjoy being a lazy bum on the beach! :)

We weren't happy with Megan's Bay last time went.... way too crowded.

What is a good beach for families? I'd like to go somewhere that has facilities (bathroom) and has food, drinks and beach chairs, etc.

What about Sapphire Beach? Is it crazy crowded? I realize we will be going during spring break week and crowds will be everywhere, but trying to make it as family friendly, safe and less crowded as possible.

Thanks for any help!

Spring break isn't just one week. Many of the beaches are busy throughout the season (December through April). If you found Magens busy, you probably didn't go down to the end of the beach. The incident at Coki Point was in 2010. Many visitors have been there since with no problem. There are more food options at Coki than Sapphire, but you won't starve at either. Sapphire is a much longer beach than Coki. Magens is also a long beach.

We were at Coki twice last year, once with kids and once with adults only. I think it was a bit crowded but it beat out Magens Bay by far. We didnt feel the gang concern but we did notice the area to the far end seemed a bit littered and had multiple people "hanging' around. When we arrived one of the ones handling the chairs and umbreallas told us to stay in the center area as the far end had the smokers. We never felt unsafe, but as we get ready to leave next week we are looking to go elsewhere, maybe Lindbergh/Emerald or Morning Star.

We were at Coki twice last year, once with kids and once with adults only. I think it was a bit crowded but it beat out Magens Bay by far. ....

Just curious....can I ask what you meant by this? We keep going back and forth between going to Coki (with option of Coral World) or to Magens Bay with our kids..so just wondering what you liked much better of Coki over Magens (or do you mean that Coki is less crowded?...which I didn't think was the case since Coki is smaller).

PS - We are not snorkellers but from pictures, Coki looks so beautiful, with a few small waves for fun.

Edited by LuCruise

Just curious....can I ask what you meant by this? We keep going back and forth between going to Coki (with option of Coral World) or to Magens Bay with our kids..so just wondering what you liked much better of Coki over Magens (or do you mean that Coki is less crowded?...which I didn't think was the case since Coki is smaller).

PS - We are not snorkellers but from pictures, Coki looks so beautiful, with a few small waves for fun.

We were at Coki in July and Sept with NCL cruise, each time it felt like there were much more options for snacks and drinks etc. At Magens we went in Feb and felt like there were really no options for services, we got there in the early afternoon and it had to pay to get in and there were no amenities like we found at Coki. We chose Coki initially because of Coral World next door incase we decided to do it also. The kids had so much fun we didnt need to leave Coki. The far end of Coki seemed to be a little less kept up, some broken chairs and "people hanging out" but we didnt feel like it was a bad area, there were lots of families and kids there. If I had to choose I would do Coki over Magens anytime. Some friends we are going with in a couple of weeks have done both and agree, but we are going to try somewhere else, look at Lingdbergh/Emerald or Morning Star, those are our #1 and 2 choice for our trip in a couple of weeks. Our wants are 1. clean restrooms, 2. chairs/umbrellas/shade 3. Food and drinks if we want it 4. Taxi/bus service 5. Snorkel from beach if we want it.

Good Luck, enjoy!

Edited by Suzyrn89

I wanted to go to Coki Beach because of its proximity to Coral World for the kids, but I've read a lot of reviews recently where Coki is gang saturated, dangerous and the smell of pot everywhere?

We will have our 5 yr old and our friends will have their 8 year old. My husband will do some light snorkeling. When I say light, I mean LIGHT.... only a novice and doesn't do it long, maybe 30 minutes or less. The rest of us will just swim, make sand castles and enjoy being a lazy bum on the beach! :)

We weren't happy with Megan's Bay last time went.... way too crowded.

What is a good beach for families? I'd like to go somewhere that has facilities (bathroom) and has food, drinks and beach chairs, etc.

What about Sapphire Beach? Is it crazy crowded? I realize we will be going during spring break week and crowds will be everywhere, but trying to make it as family friendly, safe and less crowded as possible.

Thanks for any help!

See my other post about Coki vs Magens, have been researching a bunch the last couple of weeks and we are going to try Lindbergh/Emerald or Morning Star. I understand the gang/pot issue you mentioned at Coki as I say in my other post it seemed at the one end there were some "people hanging around" we didnt feel threatened but did notice it. Would not do Magens again, and Coki did get crowded in July and Sept.

See my other post about Coki vs Magens, have been researching a bunch the last couple of weeks and we are going to try Lindbergh/Emerald or Morning Star. I understand the gang/pot issue you mentioned at Coki as I say in my other post it seemed at the one end there were some "people hanging around" we didnt feel threatened but did notice it. Would not do Magens again, and Coki did get crowded in July and Sept.

What do you like about Lindbergh/Emerald or Morning Star? Will you be taking kids?

We were at Coki in July and Sept with NCL cruise, each time it felt like there were much more options for snacks and drinks etc. At Magens we went in Feb and felt like there were really no options for services, we got there in the early afternoon and it had to pay to get in and there were no amenities like we found at Coki. We chose Coki initially because of Coral World next door incase we decided to do it also. The kids had so much fun we didnt need to leave Coki. The far end of Coki seemed to be a little less kept up, some broken chairs and "people hanging out" but we didnt feel like it was a bad area, there were lots of families and kids there. If I had to choose I would do Coki over Magens anytime. Some friends we are going with in a couple of weeks have done both and agree, but we are going to try somewhere else, look at Lingdbergh/Emerald or Morning Star, those are our #1 and 2 choice for our trip in a couple of weeks. Our wants are 1. clean restrooms, 2. chairs/umbrellas/shade 3. Food and drinks if we want it 4. Taxi/bus service 5. Snorkel from beach if we want it.

Good Luck, enjoy!

Thanks for the helpful response. Ok..so another pro for Coki is tht there are better food options. We are considering Coki too for the option of Coral World, but that secondary, and like you we may not even go there. But I do love the photos I've seen of Coki....such pure blue water.

So in terms of the "worse area"....do we avoid the end closest to Coral World or farthest from Coral World?

Before we go, I'll sit down with our kids and show them photos of Coki vs Magens (and even Sapphire...but that doesn't seem as nice and I'd like the comfort of having taxis available)...and see which beach they prefer. Another possible thing wtih them is they may not want tons of fish as they are swimming/playing in the water.

Have a great cruise. Would love to hear your throughts on the beach you end up selecting.

Edited by LuCruise

We took our kids there a couple of years ago and had no issues whatsoever.

The guys "hanging around" are there working on the beach. Setting up chairs and umbrellas at the slightest sign of a hand wave. Fetching menus from the restaurant and making sure you get a good spot on the beach, etc. They also remembered who our driver was and came and got us when it was time to go. I never felt in any danger or threatened or anything even remotely close.

Coki is a gorgeous bay with Coral World nearby. Therefore it does tend to get crowded, but it's certainly not dangerous, and I wouldn't be worried about being jumped by any gang. We had to make ourselves leave. Between the snorkeling for my husband and plenty of shallow water for the kids to play in, it was a day well spent. The only reason why we may head elsewhere this year is because we want to check out Sapphire.

We took our kids there a couple of years ago and had no issues whatsoever.

The guys "hanging around" are there working on the beach. Setting up chairs and umbrellas at the slightest sign of a hand wave. Fetching menus from the restaurant and making sure you get a good spot on the beach, etc. They also remembered who our driver was and came and got us when it was time to go. I never felt in any danger or threatened or anything even remotely close.

Coki is a gorgeous bay with Coral World nearby. Therefore it does tend to get crowded, but it's certainly not dangerous, and I wouldn't be worried about being jumped by any gang. We had to make ourselves leave. Between the snorkeling for my husband and plenty of shallow water for the kids to play in, it was a day well spent. The only reason why we may head elsewhere this year is because we want to check out Sapphire.

Thank you for the reassurance. And very good to know that the guys hanging out are simply working there. It's good to hear too that there is plenty of shallow water there for the kids as that's what we're looking for too...it's so fun when you can stand up but yet 'jump' the waves. It looks fun but not too rough.

Enjoy your time at Sapphire. That one is on my list of options too...but I think it's third behind Coki and Magens (which are tied for different reasons).