AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

Dan

We have 90 min to change planes in Frankfurt both going and coming. Lufthansa reservations tell us that we arrive and depart from terminal. I have looked at the diagram. If looks like there are many gates. What is opinion on making our connection and clearing passport inspection? We are going on from Frankfurt to Prague.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is probably not enough time in my opinion. In 2015 we flew from Houston to Frankfurt en route to Prague. We were accompanied by two 80+ female companions. I prearranged for an electric cart to meet us at the arrival gate. We rode 3 different electric carts, cleared the Schengen Area customs and ended up riding a bus to the plane which was to take us on a 35 minute trip to Prague.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dan

Did you have to change terminals? How much time did it take you?

Yes, we did change terminals. All told the rides on the 3 electric carts, going through the Schengen Customs and the bus ride took about 35-40 minutes.

The first electric cart ride was about 12-15 minutes at breakneck speed, as fast as the driver could get the cart to go. The other two were shorter.

We could NEVER have walked that distance in 90 minutes with two elderly women and carry on bags and purses.

Others who know the airport really well and can run through the airport like O.J. did back in his heyday might have been able to do it but not my little group.

Before we left Houston I requested one from the Lufthansa agent. When we landed apparently a # of others had done the same thing. There was a line of app. 5-7 groups waiting for the carts. We had to wait about 5 minutes until ours arrived.

With the short 90 minute connection in Frankfurt, I decided to do Gate to Gate service. Details if interested have been posted in the Customs Question thread.

With the short 90 minute connection in Frankfurt, I decided to do Gate to Gate service. Details if interested have been posted in the Customs Question thread.

Doktor, upon your return please post your review of your cruise, airport connections, etc etc..

Thanks in advance!

Shall due Dan. I am hoping spending the $$$ at the Frankfurt airport will expedite our transfer.

With a 90 minute transfer this is probably money very well spent!

Hi All! Just booked our 1st river cruise last week on AmaStella for 4/19 Romantic Danube. I'll be traveling with a friend and we both are so excited!!! This all is great info.

We took this same trip on the AmaSonata in September 2015. It was the best ever! We would do it again in a flash!

Allyson

We took this same trip on the AmaSonata in September 2015. It was the best ever! We would do it again in a flash!

Allyson

Great to know Allyson! Do you have any tips from when you went? Any special souvenirs, things to bring back? Maybe somethings you know now but didn't until you were on the river cruise?

TIA

Great to know Allyson! Do you have any tips from when you went? Any special souvenirs, things to bring back? Maybe somethings you know now but didn't until you were on the river cruise?

TIA

TIA,

We thought that both Passau and Regensburg were lovely towns. In Regensburg, most folks go to the Sausage Kitchen on the other side of the bridge. I heard it was excellent. However, our Ama tour guide suggested we keep going to the next large square and visit one of the street vendors selling sausages. Good choice! Yummy. Also the mustard made there in Regensburg, Händlmaier's, is very good and we both bought some to bring home. Of course there are nutcrackers to buy in Germany.

All of the tours were excellent. After the walking tour in Budapest, we walked down from Castle Hill over the Chain Bridge back to the ship. It took about an hour but was a very scenic walk. We took the tour to Cesky Krumlov and loved it. It is a beautiful place. We had a beer on the banks of the river and people watched. Lovely.

We enjoyed our days in Prague before the cruise as well. Ama put things together perfectly for us.

Allyson

TIA,

We thought that both Passau and Regensburg were lovely towns. In Regensburg, most folks go to the Sausage Kitchen on the other side of the bridge. I heard it was excellent. However, our Ama tour guide suggested we keep going to the next large square and visit one of the street vendors selling sausages. Good choice! Yummy. Also the mustard made there in Regensburg, Händlmaier's, is very good and we both bought some to bring home. Of course there are nutcrackers to buy in Germany.

All of the tours were excellent. After the walking tour in Budapest, we walked down from Castle Hill over the Chain Bridge back to the ship. It took about an hour but was a very scenic walk. We took the tour to Cesky Krumlov and loved it. It is a beautiful place. We had a beer on the banks of the river and people watched. Lovely.

We enjoyed our days in Prague before the cruise as well. Ama put things together perfectly for us.

Allyson

Thank you so much for this! Do you remember how long they gave you in Regensburg? I know I want to go in the clock store as well as the famous hat store so I am hoping I have enough time. Definitely getting the mustard, thanks for that tidbit!

Thank you so much for this! Do you remember how long they gave you in Regensburg? I know I want to go in the clock store as well as the famous hat store so I am hoping I have enough time. Definitely getting the mustard, thanks for that tidbit!

The visit to Regensburg was on the way to Vilshofen from Prague to board the ship. We had several hours there - enough time for the walking tour, some sausages, mustard shopping, a pharmacy visit, visit to an ATM for currency, some coffee at a cafe on the way back to the bus. Lovely.

The visit to Regensburg was on the way to Vilshofen from Prague to board the ship. We had several hours there - enough time for the walking tour, some sausages, mustard shopping, a pharmacy visit, visit to an ATM for currency, some coffee at a cafe on the way back to the bus. Lovely.

Allyson

Thank for your comments with regard to your stop in Regensburg.

We are on the Aug 14 AmaCerto Grand Danube cruise and will disembark at Vilshofen. We will likely take the Ama transfer from Vilshofen to Prague in order to visit Regensburg.

Allyson

Thank for your comments with regard to your stop in Regensburg.

We are on the Aug 14 AmaCerto Grand Danube cruise and will disembark at Vilshofen. We will likely take the Ama transfer from Vilshofen to Prague in order to visit Regensburg.

Mark,

We were on the AmaCerto for the Tulip Time trip in 2013 - another amazing trip! Ama does it right. I think you'll love Regensburg. We are on the AmaLyra Paris to Normandy this September. Can't wait!

Allyson

Great!!! I can work with that, lol. We are taking the transfer from Prague to the boat but we booked our own hotels.

Mark,

We were on the AmaCerto for the Tulip Time trip in 2013 - another amazing trip! Ama does it right. I think you'll love Regensburg. We are on the AmaLyra Paris to Normandy this September. Can't wait!

Allyson

Allyson

After many ocean cruises, this will be our first river cruise and we are definitely looking forward to it. The second half of the itinerary is a Wine Cruise, which should be fun.

Family members were on AmaCerto Prague-Budapest about 4-5 years ago and loved it. By coincidence, AmaCerto is sailing on the itinerary, and date that fit in for us.

We are doing our own pre (Bucharest), and post (Prague), but are comfortable travelling in Europe.

We were in Prague 25 years ago, so curious to see what has changed.

Mark

Allyson

After many ocean cruises, this will be our first river cruise and we are definitely looking forward to it. The second half of the itinerary is a Wine Cruise, which should be fun.

Family members were on AmaCerto Prague-Budapest about 4-5 years ago and loved it. By coincidence, AmaCerto is sailing on the itinerary, and date that fit in for us.

We are doing our own pre (Bucharest), and post (Prague), but are comfortable travelling in Europe.

We were in Prague 25 years ago, so curious to see what has changed.

Mark

Mark,

I have been on 19 ocean cruises and my upcoming river cruise will be my 3rd. I can tell you that, while I enjoy ocean cruising, I find river cruising to be much more fulfilling. I will continue to do both as long as I can.

Allyson

Mark,

Allyson

Allyson, we took the Paris to Normandy cruise on the Ama Legro in 2013. It was a great cruise, beautiful scenery and great French food and wines.

Allyson, we took the Paris to Normandy cruise on the Ama Legro in 2013. It was a great cruise, beautiful scenery and great French food and wines.

Dan,

Doing Paris-Normandy this year on AMA LYRA- would appreciate any hints, suggestions etc from you. By any chance did you post a review?

Thx

carole

Dan,

Doing Paris-Normandy this year on AMA LYRA- would appreciate any hints, suggestions etc from you. By any chance did you post a review?

Thx

carole

Carole, not a real review, just our observations and experiences.

The highlights (for us) were Monet's home and gardens in Giverny, the apple festival at Honfleur, Caux-de- Bec and the bus trip to the Normandy cemetery and invasion site and the museum at the British invasion beach. The men who stormed those beaches in 1944 were truly the greatest generation. Rouen was beautiful as was Conflans.

The chefs did a great job on the food and the French wines, cheeses and croissants were delicious.

The tour guides were great also.IMG_1489757096.249276.jpg.d0a3ba4df134aed6d7fd73222b8b9ac5.jpg

Here is a picture from Monet's gardens to whet your appetite.