AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

Just saw this;

AmaWaterways unveiled a brand-new plan for Happy Hour that should make most folks very gleeful indeed.

Beginning in 2018, AmaWaterways will include a complimentary “Happy Hour” across all ships in the fleet, with soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits all available at no charge before dinner.

Allyson

I saw that feature posted on the 2018 feature sheet a couple months ago.

It "should make most folks very gleeful indeed" ... less so for those of us on the 2017 itineraries.

Oh well, they do provide drinks throughout lunch and dinner, so I remain positive.

I recently read a very positive review of an AMA European cruise from a few years ago.The only point I was concerned about was that the reviewer mentioned they weren't able to book a massage onboard, because when they boarded all the spa appts were full - they had all been booked/taken before the cruise even began.

Wondering if anyone else had head anything like this?

Hi. We are just booked on AMAViola for April 12th. Romantic Danube. We found a lovely video on youtube which gives a good idea of what the ship looks like.

Now we are just looking into how to get from Nuremburg to Vilshofen - probably by train.

We are avid ocean cruisers (25+) and also cruised the Seine and the Nile many years back. We are looking forward to this one.

Hi. We are just booked on AMAViola for April 12th. Romantic Danube. We found a lovely video on youtube which gives a good idea of what the ship looks like.

Now we are just looking into how to get from Nuremburg to Vilshofen - probably by train.

We are avid ocean cruisers (25+) and also cruised the Seine and the Nile many years back. We are looking forward to this one.

It looks just like the AmaSonata we took on this same itinerary in September of 2015. Beautiful experience!

Allyson

I recently read a very positive review of an AMA European cruise from a few years ago.The only point I was concerned about was that the reviewer mentioned they weren't able to book a massage onboard, because when they boarded all the spa appts were full - they had all been booked/taken before the cruise even began.

Wondering if anyone else had head anything like this?

We sailed on the Ama Prima from Vilshofen to Budapest in late Summer of 2015. The masseuse took appointments throughout the cruise and all her customers seemed to enjoy their massage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed on the Ama Prima from Vilshofen to Budapest in late Summer of 2015. The masseuse took appointments throughout the cruise and all her customers seemed to enjoy their massage.

Thank you for your observation.

Hopefully our cruise will be similar to yours, in that appts are available, and can be booked during the cruise.

We will be taking our 2nd AMA Waterways cruise, Port Wine and Flamenco, along the Douro river, with pre stay in Madrid, post stay in Lisbon, this May. After weighing all cruise options and itineraries, AMA really satisfied all we wanted to experience. Can't wait! We hear the scenery is spectacular along this river and that May is a great time of year to visit.

We did the Douro 2 years ago. Loved it. It was our second sailing with AMA. As on all their ships, the crew members are amazing! Enjoy!!

I just spoke to a rep at Ama to ask if they have foreign currency on board for purchase. I thought I read somewhere that there were limited amounts available. The rep told me they do not exchange money on board. Has anyone been on an Ama cruise and found this to be true? We're getting the currencies we need from AAA, but in case we run out, I thought it would be convenient to buy some on board.

Thanks,

Susan

An update on my previous post. I just checked Ama's website and found the following "Travelers Checks can be exchanged for local currency on board in limited amounts. There may be a foreign transaction fee and daily conversion rates apply". I'm going to call them again tomorrow and ask about this.

Susan

You may be able to buy travelers checks, but I have not been able in the past 5 or more year been able to find anyone who sells them. The last that I can remember having was in 2004. Used them for a trip to Germany, and had a very difficult time cashing them. The reason I have been told that no one sells them anymore was because fraudulent copies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

First, why would you travel with travelers checks in this day and age? They have to be paid for upfront, and almost no one accepts them anymore.

You can find ATMs just about anywhere. Take out what you need. Hopefully, you have a bank card that doesn't charge fees for using foreign ATMs, but even if you pay the cost is fairly minimal if you take out a reasonable amount. Make sure you use a bank's machine rather than a 3rd party machine, and the rates will be much better than you would get on board even if they let you change money.

When you think about the logistics, the cruise company doesn't want to change your money. They don't want foreign cash that they have to deposit somewhere, nor do they want to deal with travelers checks. It just makes work for them.

Edited by gnome12

You may be able to buy travelers checks, but I have not been able in the past 5 or more year been able to find anyone who sells them. The last that I can remember having was in 2004. Used them for a trip to Germany, and had a very difficult time cashing them. The reason I have been told that no one sells them anymore was because fraudulent copies.

We're able to buy Travelers Checks from AAA. I know everyone uses ATM machines and Travelers Checks are antiquated, but we have our reasons for using them. Never had a problem cashing them on cruise ships. My main concern was buying some foreign currency on board in case we run out of our supply. We can use cash or Travelers Checks for the purchase. The only reason I mentioned Travelers Checks was the notice on their website which mentions them.

Susan

I'm curious, we belong to AAA of the South in Melbourne, FL, where do you belong that you can still purchase travelers checks. I tried to buy them from AAA in 2012 for an extensive trip to Australia and New Zealand, and was told they do longer carried them. I have not tried since.

Merchants are loathe to accept them, especially in larger denominations, because they are so easy to counterfeit.

Question for everyone. We will arrive early (7am) in Paris for our AMA Paris-Normandy cruise. We will transfer to the Lyra and should be there within 90 minutes -allowing for immigration, baggage claim & traffic. Our plan is to drop off our luggage and then go to either the Orsay or Pompidou museums for a few hours. Any suggestions,hints?

Thx

Carole

Question for everyone. We will arrive early (7am) in Paris for our AMA Paris-Normandy cruise. We will transfer to the Lyra and should be there within 90 minutes -allowing for immigration, baggage claim & traffic. Our plan is to drop off our luggage and then go to either the Orsay or Pompidou museums for a few hours. Any suggestions,hints?

Thx

Carole

The Orsay is one of my favorite museums in the world. The collection is outstanding, but the size is not overwhelming. Easy to get to using RER train.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First, why would you travel with travelers checks in this day and age? They have to be paid for upfront, and almost no one accepts them anymore.

You can find ATMs just about anywhere. Take out what you need. Hopefully, you have a bank card that doesn't charge fees for using foreign ATMs, but even if you pay the cost is fairly minimal if you take out a reasonable amount. Make sure you use a bank's machine rather than a 3rd party machine, and the rates will be much better than you would get on board even if they let you change money.

When you think about the logistics, the cruise company doesn't want to change your money. They don't want foreign cash that they have to deposit somewhere, nor do they want to deal with travelers checks. It just makes work for them.

Completely agree! Traveler's checks are a dinosaur and just as extinct.

When I calculate the cash needed for our 16 day adventure, we will carry cash. When we split it between two of us, it is really minor. We will use our Cap one cards for everything we can. I do not want the hassle of finding a ATM. Nor do I want someone taking fees or finding someone to cash travelers checks. I did this in 2004, and it was not pleasant.

When I calculate the cash needed for our 16 day adventure, we will carry cash. When we split it between two of us, it is really minor. We will use our Cap one cards for everything we can. I do not want the hassle of finding a ATM. Nor do I want someone taking fees or finding someone to cash travelers checks. I did this in 2004, and it was not pleasant.

While I'm not disagreeing with you (I usually bring enough cash myself), finding an ATM in Europe is really not a hassle. They are everywhere.

I just found this AMA 2017 River Cruise forum and love it...however I wish I had seen it sooner! Thank you everyone for all the wonderful reviews, information and tips!

We are on the AMAViola Danube May 24, 2017 Vilshofen to Budapest. Anyone else by chance on this sailing?

We are avid ocean cruisers and this is only our 2nd River Cruise (but our 1st with AMA). We did the Rhine on Tauck last summer from Amsterdam to Basel and would give them 10 stars out of 10! Wonderful doesn't even begin to express the cruise line. However we didn't have anything to compare it to, thus our choice of AMA this time.

I look forward to reciprocating with info if I can and reviews when we return! Happy Cruising!

I just found this AMA 2017 River Cruise forum and love it...however I wish I had seen it sooner! Thank you everyone for all the wonderful reviews, information and tips!

We are on the AMAViola Danube May 24, 2017 Vilshofen to Budapest. Anyone else by chance on this sailing?

We are avid ocean cruisers and this is only our 2nd River Cruise (but our 1st with AMA). We did the Rhine on Tauck last summer from Amsterdam to Basel and would give them 10 stars out of 10! Wonderful doesn't even begin to express the cruise line. However we didn't have anything to compare it to, thus our choice of AMA this time.

I look forward to reciprocating with info if I can and reviews when we return! Happy Cruising!

I look forward to your review -- since Tauck has so few ships we don't get many reviews of them and even fewer comparison reviews.

Good morning, I took my first River Cruise last year with AMA and it was WONDERFUL:D........It was not your

itinerary but I hope you love it as much as I loved mine.:D