AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

We're able to buy Travelers Checks from AAA. I know everyone uses ATM machines and Travelers Checks are antiquated, but we have our reasons for using them. Never had a problem cashing them on cruise ships. My main concern was buying some foreign currency on board in case we run out of our supply. We can use cash or Travelers Checks for the purchase. The only reason I mentioned Travelers Checks was the notice on their website which mentions them.

Susan

Hi, Susan,

We have always used travellers cheques and cashed them onboard a cruise ship at the cashier's desk as we needed the cash. We've always felt it was a more secure option. I didn't realize they were antiquated until we went in to purchase them at the bank for our last cruise. The manager asked me why I wanted them -- I explained -- and she said no one buys them anymore. News to me! However, I was able to buy them at our bank. So, you're not alone. Everyone has a different comfort level and that's to be respected. We're lucky to have so many different options. However, this time we'll probably be using cash and credit -- possibly a few traveller's cheques. I'm assuming there are safes in the cabins?

Take care!

Susan

Edited by soo z q

Hi, Susan,

We have always used travellers cheques and cashed them onboard a cruise ship at the cashier's desk as we needed the cash. We've always felt it was a more secure option. I didn't realize they were antiquated until we went in to purchase them at the bank for our last cruise. The manager asked me why I wanted them -- I explained -- and she said no one buys them anymore. News to me! However, I was able to buy them at our bank. So, you're not alone. Everyone has a different comfort level and that's to be respected. We're lucky to have so many different options. However, this time we'll probably be using cash and credit -- possibly a few traveller's cheques. I'm assuming there are safes in the cabins?

Take care!

Susan

I don't know if you are normally ocean cruisers or not. River cruise ships are very small. For them to have to deal with currency conversion of any kind means that someone has to bank regularly to deposit the foreign (to them) currency and get euros. Even if the traveller's cheques are in euros they need to be deposited. There aren't really extra people available to do that. In addition, virtually every day you are in a town that will have ATMs that don't create work for the ship's crew.

From your standpoint, having traveller's cheques means that if the ship won't change them you have to go into a bank, which means dealing with bank hours. Every bank will charge to cash the cheques, which means that you are likely paying twice, once to buy the cheques (generally 1%) and again to cash them, which can be considerably more. In addition, you have put out the money in advance when you bought the cheques. It just doesn't make sense from any standpoint.

I remember when I could take a traveller's cheque (denominated in the country's currency only, so I already dealt with foreign exchange issues) and use it to buy something or for a restaurant bill. The last time I tried that (many year's ago already) no one would take the cheque, and I had to go to the bank to get cash. What a waste of time!

Now, I carry a certain amount of euros with me whenever I'm in Europe, and use an ATM when I need to replenish. I expect that I will return to Europe (although at the moment it looks like that won't happen until 2019 at the earliest) so I bring home whatever cash I have left.

First time to Britain in 1977, we tried to cash Travelers Cheque at a small hotel, they did not know what there were, it was a good thing we had some cash.

After that, we took cash and credit cards.

In 2015, on a British Isles cruise, on our excursion an American only had US$ cash and tried to pay for his lunch at a small restaurant with US$ cash. He had to go to the post office to change his US$ cash to British pounds to pay for his meal. He could not understand why they refused his US$ cash.

I buy some cash from the bank and any large purchases I put on my credit card.

First time to Britain in 1977, we tried to cash Travelers Cheque at a small hotel, they did not know what there were, it was a good thing we had some cash.

After that, we took cash and credit cards.

In 2015, on a British Isles cruise, on our excursion an American only had US$ cash and tried to pay for his lunch at a small restaurant with US$ cash. He had to go to the post office to change his US$ cash to British pounds to pay for his meal. He could not understand why they refused his US$ cash.

I buy some cash from the bank and any large purchases I put on my credit card.

He is the kind of guy who gives us a bad name:eek:......traveling to Europe without the currency needed for the country

he is visiting......geeez..........:(

The currency on all the ocean cruises we have been on has been US dollars. The currency on board our coming AMA cruise is Euros. Thus if you take nothing else, I would think it would be wise to take some Euros. Last week I ordered small amounts of all three currencies which we will encounter. When we arrive in Prague, I will have monies for tips etc. We do have a tour in Budapest who will take the balance of payment in USD.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was in Europe on an Ocean cruise in 2012......paid all my tours in Euros (they were not ship sponsored). Italy, Greece,

and Turkey.......If memory serves everyone on all our tours paid in Euros. We had groups from our roll call and I know we paid the

gal who organized each tour and then she paid the guide.

The currency on all the ocean cruises we have been on has been US dollars. The currency on board our coming AMA cruise is Euros. Thus if you take nothing else, I would think it would be wise to take some Euros. Last week I ordered small amounts of all three currencies which we will encounter. When we arrive in Prague, I will have monies for tips etc. We do have a tour in Budapest who will take the balance of payment in USD.

It's not so much the currency on board, as long as you can pay your bills and tips by credit card. Even if the shipboard currency was US$ you would need euros for small purchases (at least) off the ship. Things like drinks, snacks, postcards, and washrooms.

Gnome12

Agree! I mentioned this purely to point out that the ship will more than likely not have Czech Korunas or Hungarian Forints on board., or any other local currencies. You will could need such for local markets or if you plan on going out of large cities.

After several ocean cruises, we're taking our first river cruise on AmaDante in June. We made our final payment today.

I have a couple of questions:

1. At what point should I expect cruise documents?

2. Will they be mailed or accessed online?

3. Will there be luggage tags included?

4. Now that final payment has been made, will we have access to any optional excursions?

Thanks for the info. We're excited about this trip, and as River cruising is a new experience for us there are questions.

>My travel ask that the doc be made directly to us

> I was told last week via AMA when I called about another question, the doc should be received 2 to 3 weeks in advance

>You can sign up on line for limited Edition tours once you have completed the on line registrations.

>I was told some time ago that optional tours could not be booked until your onboard. The Rep told me that they might be able to be booked, if you are participating in AMA pre-cruise cruise. She was not sure.

>I called last week to asked if transfers were included if you booked a hotel with AMA at the end of the cruise. Yes, transfer is included.

One more post about Traveler's Checks and I think we can put the topic to bed. We do take local currency for all the ports which we purchase from AAA. We've taken many ocean cruises and it works for us. On ocean cruises, we used the T.C. to pay our bill. However, on this cruise, we expect a much smaller bill since we have some on board credit which should take care of most of the charges. The only reason I brought up the topic of Traveler's Checks is due to the mention on AMA's website which states they will exchange local currency for T.Checks. I doubt that we'll need any more local currency.

I have a question regarding the smoking section. My husband is a cigar smoker and would like to occasionally smoke a cigar on the boat. Does anyone know if cigars are permitted in the smoking section?

Thanks,

Susan

One more post about Traveler's Checks and I think we can put the topic to bed. We do take local currency for all the ports which we purchase from AAA. We've taken many ocean cruises and it works for us. On ocean cruises, we used the T.C. to pay our bill. However, on this cruise, we expect a much smaller bill since we have some on board credit which should take care of most of the charges. The only reason I brought up the topic of Traveler's Checks is due to the mention on AMA's website which states they will exchange local currency for T.Checks. I doubt that we'll need any more local currency.

I have a question regarding the smoking section. My husband is a cigar smoker and would like to occasionally smoke a cigar on the boat. Does anyone know if cigars are permitted in the smoking section?

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan, when I sailed AMA last year I recall the only place to smoke was upstairs outside.....there was an area with

ashtrays. No smoking anywhere inside.

Hi Susan, when I sailed AMA last year I recall the only place to smoke was upstairs outside.....there was an area with

ashtrays. No smoking anywhere inside.

Thanks Lois. I understand that there is no smoking inside. I was just wondering if the outside smoking section includes cigars. In our experience cigars are sometimes prohibited in outdoor smoking sections.

Susan

It doesn't say anything in the FAQ except about the smoking section. However, I personally would be very upset if I could smell cigar smoke. I don't think I'm alone.

Certainly, if docked, it would be much better to get off and smoke on shore.

It doesn't say anything in the FAQ except about the smoking section. However, I personally would be very upset if I could smell cigar smoke. I don't think I'm alone.

Certainly, if docked, it would be much better to get off and smoke on shore.

His first choice is to smoke on shore & if anyone objected to the smell he certainly would refrain from smoking on board.

Susan

I don't know if you are normally ocean cruisers or not. River cruise ships are very small. For them to have to deal with currency conversion of any kind means that someone has to bank regularly to deposit the foreign (to them) currency and get euros. Even if the traveller's cheques are in euros they need to be deposited. There aren't really extra people available to do that. In addition, virtually every day you are in a town that will have ATMs that don't create work for the ship's crew.

From your standpoint, having traveller's cheques means that if the ship won't change them you have to go into a bank, which means dealing with bank hours. Every bank will charge to cash the cheques, which means that you are likely paying twice, once to buy the cheques (generally 1%) and again to cash them, which can be considerably more. In addition, you have put out the money in advance when you bought the cheques. It just doesn't make sense from any standpoint.

I remember when I could take a traveller's cheque (denominated in the country's currency only, so I already dealt with foreign exchange issues) and use it to buy something or for a restaurant bill. The last time I tried that (many year's ago already) no one would take the cheque, and I had to go to the bank to get cash. What a waste of time!

Now, I carry a certain amount of euros with me whenever I'm in Europe, and use an ATM when I need to replenish. I expect that I will return to Europe (although at the moment it looks like that won't happen until 2019 at the earliest) so I bring home whatever cash I have left.

Thanks for the explanation -- it's appreciated. You're correct in assuming we've never been on a river cruise, only ocean cruises. I was referring to cruisesusie's post quoting AMA personnel that traveller's cheques could be cashed onboard for local currency. However, if this is going to be a hassle, we'll definitely look at other options. Are debit machines secure at European banks? Once again, thank you for your suggestions.

we booked an Ama River Cruise from Paris July 27 it leaves from Port Bay Javelbas Paris. Does anyone know where that is? I am trying to book a room for one night before the cruise.

Been reading about Frankfurt airport, and discovered an app which gives step by step directions from one gate to another, plus more.....

we booked an Ama River Cruise from Paris July 27 it leaves from Port Bay Javelbas Paris. Does anyone know where that is? I am trying to book a room for one night before the cruise.

Hi PH

Finally someone else on 7-27-17 Seine cruise - and I thought we would have the vessel all to ourselves;p. Anyway nice to meet you. We are flying from JFK on the 26th to arrive early am on 7-27. Plan is to leave luggage on the ship and go to the Musee d'Orsay. Would you like to chat,join us @ the museum etc?

Carole

His first choice is to smoke on shore & if anyone objected to the smell he certainly would refrain from smoking on board.

Susan

I don't smoke anything but if I were near someone who was smoking, I'd rather it be a fine cigar than a cigarette! To each his own.:cool:

Been reading about Frankfurt airport, and discovered an app which gives step by step directions from one gate to another, plus more.....

Doktor, we had an app on our phones and IPads also. The problem with most of the apps are that they are not to scale in terms of walking distances and times. The Frankfurt airport is huge!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dan

We have 90 min to change planes in Frankfurt both going and coming. Lufthansa reservations tell us that we arrive and depart from terminal. I have looked at the diagram. If looks like there are many gates. What is opinion on making our connection and clearing passport inspection? We are going on from Frankfurt to Prague.