Take any receipts with you on the SUN

Merriem

Well why should you need to bring another piece of paper 7000 miles. It is bad business and will not be forgotten. I needed the bottled water not tap. It is not the same

For goodness sakes please get either the hotel director or a senior officer involved and just get your water

Explain nicely as well how you need bottled water.....

Alternately just buy $27 more worth of water

And

Get the form to reduce your dsc by $27

I have a question for you?

Are you not drinking bottled water now at all?

Are they refusing to sell it to you?

IMHO the purchase probably didn't go through...or did I miss the part where you saw the charge on your credit card?

I bring my receipts for everything. Do I have to, no. Have I ever had to use them, no, but just in case I do if got them. They don't weigh much, they don't take up any space, but they certainly could help in a situation like the OPs. I also get a amenity confirmation a couple of weeks prior to my cruise to make sure everything is on there as well, as I feel it is easier and less frustrating to have things correct prior to my cruise then on it....nothing worse than starting out a cruise with an issue.

The OP can ask that the Hotel Director to check it on her reservation (since she said it was confirmed on line) and if it is not there, then she can check her bank account to see if it went through properly.

BTW, I have no issue with NCL asking for proof, if they have no record of it on their end, but I also believe that the ship should be contacting corporate to have them look into the matter, especially since the OP said it was confirmed on line.

I hope the OP comes back and lets us know what happened to the purchase.

Edited by NLH Arizona

That's what astounds me. We aren't talking about a $399 inside cabin. A butler should get you the water and be done with it. (Not that the type of cabin should dictate the level of service, but if I'm in a suite I want to be treated well)

The price of the cabin does NOT include bottled water. If the separate purchase didn't complete properly (as suggested by OP not receiving a receipt), then she didn't prepay for water. As water is not included, she'll need to buy it now, or on-shore.

Something is "off" here...willing to bet that even though you had a screen confirmation of your purchase that it never went through. Wouldn't be the first time it happened. Had to chuckle when LoveMyButler chimed in with her negative experience....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

"His"

Some of you will desperately try to spin anything to white knight for a rude concierge. The concierge could easily have looked up the amenities and settled this instead of being belligerent and challenging OP. Concierge sounds too lazy to do her job.

Amusing responses........

Here's reality.

NCL/Concierge willing to piss off a passenger that probably has 5k pp in a suite for that sailing, over MAYBE 6 bucks worth of water.

I should go into my local Mercedes dealer & insist my next service be free. After all, I've spent > $50k with them, and it's MAYBE $15 in out-of-pocket expense for the mechanic's time. Or I could pay the $195 price, and realize they are a business and my purchase did not include ongoing maintenance.

Well why should you need to bring another piece of paper 7000 miles. It is bad business and will not be forgotten. I needed the bottled water not tap. It is not the same

You don't. Just print the receipt to PDF. Email it to yourself so it's accessible on your phone. It's not bad business to not give people things they didn't pay for, or can't prove they paid for.

On second thought....maybe I should just go into the local Bentley dealer & tell them I bought a Continental GT, but forgot to bring the receipt. I'll insist they look it up, and if they tell me they can't find it either, I'll just insist they give me the car anyway. I mean....to do otherwise....is really bad business, and wouldn't be forgotten. I need a Bentley, it's not the same as my Audi.

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

Some of you will desperately try to spin anything to white knight for a rude concierge. The concierge could easily have looked up the amenities and settled this instead of being belligerent and challenging OP. Concierge sounds too lazy to do her job.

So you know for certain that concierge did not look up the amenities?

Or is it more likely she did look up the amenities and the water was not there for some reason?

Edited by titangas

I believe the issue is that they did look it up and saw nothing hence why the OP is being asked for the receipt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't know if the Concierge looked it up or not. The OP said the Butler said the Concierge needed a receipt. Possibly she looked it up and it was not there and now is asking for the receipt. I guess some feel that she should have automatically given the OP the water because she said she purchased it, even though it was not on her ship's account, but then should they give everyone who says they purchased something that item without any proof.

Also, I don't think the OP said that the Concierge was belligerent, but she did ask for a receipt, so I guess that would be construed as challenging. Since none of us, except for the OP was there during any conversations, we really don't know the whole story about who was rude and who was not. What is rude to one person, isn't always considered rude to another person. I personally wouldn't be offended if they would have asked for the receipt, but others might certainly are.

Edited by NLH Arizona

So you know for certain that concierge did not look up the amenities?

Or is it more likely she did look up the amenities and the water was not there for some reason?

No, we don't know for certain. But re-read the OP. It says the concierge refused to believe OP. Okay, that's fine, but would it not have been prudent at that point for the Concierge to do checking and not just place the onus on the guest? That would have been the bare minimum customer service level. No, OP shouldn't get something they haven't paid for, but if the payment went through the concierge should be able to see this easily and quickly, or at least demonstrate some customer service and dig further.

I believe the issue is that they did look it up and saw nothing hence why the OP is being asked for the receipt.

OP never said the Concierge looked anything up. When I see words like refuse and rude, from a concierge, it constitutes belligerence in my book. Don't you think if the concierge had looked it up for OP on the spot that this thread would not exist? Or it would be a thread to say 'I thought I bought water but it didn't go through. Make sure you get a confirmation email!"

We don't know if the Concierge looked it up or not. The OP said the Butler said the Concierge needed a receipt. Possibly she looked it up and it was not there and now is asking for the receipt. I guess some feel that she should have automatically given the OP the water because she said she purchased it, even though it was not on her ship's account, but then should they give everyone who says they purchased something that item.

Also, I don't think the OP said that the Concierge was belligerent, but she did ask for a receipt, so I guess that would be construed as challenging.

I do NOT believe anyone should be given anything just for stating they had purchased it. But you and I have read the same words and agree that we do not know IF the concierge looked it up or not. But by the statements OP provided the concierge was being lazy in their tasks and not handling the situation properly.

I should go into my local Mercedes dealer & insist my next service be free. After all, I've spent > $50k with them, and it's MAYBE $15 in out-of-pocket expense for the mechanic's time. Or I could pay the $195 price, and realize they are a business and my purchase did not include ongoing maintenance.

You don't. Just print the receipt to PDF. Email it to yourself so it's accessible on your phone. It's not bad business to not give people things they didn't pay for, or can't prove they paid for.

On second thought....maybe I should just go into the local Bentley dealer & tell them I bought a Continental GT, but forgot to bring the receipt. I'll insist they look it up, and if they tell me they can't find it either, I'll just insist they give me the car anyway. I mean....to do otherwise....is really bad business, and wouldn't be forgotten. I need a Bentley, it's not the same as my Audi.

Stephen

Yes, saving as a PDF would have been ideal, but we are past that point. The rest of your post is off target and very dramatic.

Yes, saving as a PDF would have been ideal, but we are past that point. The rest of your post is off target and very dramatic.

Perhaps. Unlike referring to people as stupid, rude & belligerent, when not in possession of all the facts.

Perhaps. Unlike referring to people as stupid, rude & belligerent, when not in possession of all the facts.

Your beloved concierge isn't doing her job and OP isn't happy. This is impossible for you to reconcile. Anyone not doing their job and challenging a guest is belligerent. The concierge just wants to demonstrate the color of their feathers, not actually resolve anything. I am sure you have a perhaps or probably to counteract that.

Your beloved concierge isn't doing her job and OP isn't happy. This is impossible for you to reconcile. Anyone not doing their job and challenging a guest is belligerent. The concierge just wants to demonstrate the color of their feathers, not actually resolve anything. I am sure you have a perhaps or probably to counteract that.

This is not true. You have no idea whether the concierge did her job.

What you DO know is that the customer showed up claiming to have paid for something, the vendor has no record of. (Bentley, anybody?).

The customer is upset that there's no record of the purchase, and is annoyed at the concierge for refusing to give away product without any proof of purchase.

It's not only POSSIBLE to reconcile, it's pretty clear & obvious. How you fail to see it, mystifies.

I do NOT believe anyone should be given anything just for stating they had purchased it. But you and I have read the same words and agree that we do not know IF the concierge looked it up or not. But by the statements OP provided the concierge was being lazy in their tasks and not handling the situation properly.

Did the OP ask the Concierge if she looked it up, as the only thing the OP says is that the Concierge asked for a receipt. If it is not on one's account, I would ask for a receipt as well and I don't think that is being lazy or belligerent - I think that is doing my job.

No, we don't know for certain. But re-read the OP. It says the concierge refused to believe OP. Okay, that's fine, but would it not have been prudent at that point for the Concierge to do checking and not just place the onus on the guest? That would have been the bare minimum customer service level. No, OP shouldn't get something they haven't paid for, but if the payment went through the concierge should be able to see this easily and quickly, or at least demonstrate some customer service and dig further.

OP never said the Concierge looked anything up. When I see words like refuse and rude, from a concierge, it constitutes belligerence in my book. Don't you think if the concierge had looked it up for OP on the spot that this thread would not exist? Or it would be a thread to say 'I thought I bought water but it didn't go through. Make sure you get a confirmation email!"

If someone says I bought a water package but didn't receive it, the first thing an NCL employee will do is look to see if that purchase is attached to the guests account. I see no reason not to believe they have not already done that. And certainly if the concierge was of no assistance to me then I would have inquired at guests services. Surely they will look it up. It is not a far stretch to assume something went wrong with the OPs online purchase. So the only logical thing for the OP to do is to check their bank or credit card statement. Without the OP verifying they were actually charged there is nothing NCL can do. It's as simple as that.

Edited by Moby0215

The customer is upset that there's no record of the purchase, and is annoyed at the concierge for refusing to give away product without any proof of purchase.

That's not how I see it.

I see it as the customer is upset and does not have HER own proof of purchase.

We both agree this would have been avoided by bringing the proof on board the ship. However, literally, that ship has sailed.

I further see it as the customer is upset that the concierge is refusing to verify the order through NCL's computer system until the OP can present some further proof, when the reality is is that is a needless roadblock towards doing their job.

OP has NOT said the concierge checked and found nothing. the OP has said the concierge has done "nothing". This was in the original post.

Others have chimed in with guesses based on misreading the OP, but you have not corrected them. How odd...

The bottom line is the concierge should have said "I will look into this for you". IF at that point in time no record could be found, the concierge should have communicated this to OP and asked if they had any receipt with them. That would have been far better than concierge being standoffish and refusing to help. Wouldn't YOU prefer a helpful concierge to one who "refuses" to help?

Did the OP ask the Concierge if she looked it up, as the only thing the OP says is that the Concierge asked for a receipt. If it is not on one's account, I would ask for a receipt as well and I don't think that is being lazy or belligerent - I think that is doing my job.

The OP said "she won't do anything". That leads me to believe the concierge...did nothing. At the very least the concierge is NOT demonstrating good customer service in attempting to resolve the issue; at least not based on the information provided by OP. If the OP's not happy there's a fair chance the concierge is not behaving properly.

This is not true. You have no idea whether the concierge did her job.

What you DO know is that the customer showed up claiming to have paid for something, the vendor has no record of. (Bentley, anybody?).

It's not only POSSIBLE to reconcile, it's pretty clear & obvious. How you fail to see it, mystifies.

Trust me, those of us who do not have a high-and-mighty attitude that as a customer we must be treated like royalty (even if we are behaving like a spoiled child) see it perfectly.

When someone repeatedly states a service provider is responsible for proving a customer hasn't purchased a product, that person has a warped sense of personal responsibility as a consumer.

Most people recognize how distorted this story is to evoke some dramatic sympathy and call-to-arms to yet again try tarnishing a company's image for a trifling issue.

It is petty and juvenile. Those who subscribe to such behavior know how their actions reflect on them and can only garner support through the anonymity of the internet.

If OP comes back and says the concierge first looked in their computer and contacted Miami and couldn't find anything, and then asked for a receipt, I will walk the plank.

But I doubt that's what OP will say.

Whether the OP believed the concierge looked it up or not, there is no reason for me not to believe that they did not look it up. Regardless it is easily fixable. Just bypass concierge, go direct to guest services, show that payment was made from bank account or credit card. The OP has yet to state that they even verified they were ever charged.

Trust me, those of us who do not have a high-and-mighty attitude that as a customer we must be treated like royalty (even if we are behaving like a spoiled child) see it perfectly.

When someone repeatedly states a service provider is responsible for proving a customer hasn't purchased a product, that person has a warped sense of personal responsibility as a consumer.

Most people recognize how distorted this story is to evoke some dramatic sympathy and call-to-arms to yet again try tarnishing a company's image for a trifling issue.

It is petty and juvenile. Those who subscribe to such behavior know how their actions reflect on them and can only garner support through the anonymity of the internet.

Why do you believe OP's story is distorted?

The OP said "she won't do anything". That leads me to believe the concierge...did nothing. At the very least the concierge is NOT demonstrating good customer service in attempting to resolve the issue; at least not based on the information provided by OP. If the OP's not happy there's a fair chance the concierge is not behaving properly.
I guess we can understand things differently. The OP sent the Butler to find out where her water was, the Butler goes to the Concierge (we have no idea if the Concierge looked it up or not, but in the OP's own words she is only out for tips, so I would guess she would want to look it up, solve the issue and be the hero, because that would mean MORE TIPS), the Concierge sent the Butler back saying they needed a receipt. The OP is saying the Concierge did not do anything, my understand is that is because she didn't give her the water. The Concierge seems to be attempting to resolve the issue asking for a receipt, which the OP can't provide. Seems to me the OP is not happy, because she was challenged by asking for a receipt and not getting the water that she feels that she paid for.

If this happened to me, I would have gone down to Guest Services and told them what had transpired with the Butler and ask for them to check into the situation. If they couldn't find proof of my purchase, I would go to the computer room, pull up the online confirmation which OP said she received and also print where it was deducted from my bank account. Issue resolved, as either I have both documents or there was an issue with my original order.

This also presumes "something" can be done. My reading of the situation is that the transaction never went through (hence no email confirmation) in which case there would be no confirmation in the system for the concierge to find. I guess it's possible the concierge didn't even consult the computer, but I find that hard to believe. It seems more likely (to me) that she checked, saw nothing, and then asked if OP had a receipt. I'm not sure what else she could/should do.

OP said... "the butler checked with the concierge, and was told to ask for my receipt" (see below)

Entirely missing in between, are the activities the concierge undertook BEFORE asking the butler to see if there was a receipt.

In my experience (not extensive, but I'm not a noob either), the concierge would have first checked the attached amenities, then possibly checked with Guest Services (by phone), then possibly checked with Miami. Failing to obtain confirmation of the water purchase, she THEN would have said to the butler...I can't find it....does she have a receipt?

When the OP later confronted the Concierge (you rude, stupid, belligerent person, how dare you not believe me, No, I don't have a receipt. Just give me my water anyway!), to which the concierge responded I'm sorry, but it's not within my authority to dispense items without proof of purchase.

And that to me sounds entirely reasonable.

We just boarded the SUN today. We are in a suite, so had all the packages except for water. I purchased the 6 bottle water liters package and was surprised that when we got to our cabin they were not there. I ask our butler, she couldn't have been sweeter. She checked with the concierge and was told to ask for my receipt. Now for $27 I wouldn't think I wouldn't need a receipt. Well, the concierge refused to believe me, and of course the cruise line would not make a mistake,

So I did not get my water that I paid for, and I am tired of dealing with this concierge who said "I do not have the authority to give you 6 bottles of water" she must be kidding me....nope she won't do anything...so tomorrow we will go buy some on shore. You travel 7000 miles to have to deal with this. This is the lowest level of service I have seen.

Other than this woman, everything else is nice and the rest of the staff is very pleasant.

You get what you give.