Want to See Bears & Whales

aloanldy

Did you look at your ship's excursion list to see where those activities are offered?

Whale watching is very successful in ISP and Juneau. Since there are many other sightseeing options in Juneau many people will choose whale watching in ISP.

Bear viewing is tied to salmon runs so there are peak periods of time at various locations. This link provides good info on those peak periods:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

we all have different interests, budgets and physical abilities so my must-do list isn't going to be the same as yours. Some people want to see the sights around downtown Juneau, some want to go ice trekking on Mendenhall glacier, some want to go whale watching. Different strokes for different folks.

Look carefully at your excursion list and see which activities are appealing to YOU. When you have narrowed down your options, post again for feedback about specific exursions or ask for advice on independent vendors.

I also encourage you to look thru trip reports (in STICKYs near the top of the page). Many reports are very detailed with information about activities and vendors, and the photos bring the excursions to life.

Have fun researching!

I'm going on Millie in August. Ports are Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, and Ketchikan.

Where will I see bears up close and where will I see Whales up close?

Any suggestions on excursions?

Thank you,

Charlie

I'm going with an independent company in July 2017 out of Ketchikan to see bears in Anan Creek. (Via e-mail, you can ask them if the timing of your trip will be compatible. It's an awfully expensive excursion for an iffy option. Late August = no bears)

"I" would do whale watching out of ISP, because I have other idea for what to do in Juneau.

Edited by TheCalicoCat

I'm going on Millie in August. Ports are Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, and Ketchikan.

Where will I see bears up close and where will I see Whales up close?

Any suggestions on excursions?

Thank you,

Charlie

WHEN in August? First week, Anan, after that Traitor's Cove, out of Ketchikan.

You have a chance of brown bears out of Hoonah, salmon diet- without a flight. I highly recommend Teckk Outfitters.

Whale watching is out of Juneau and Hoonah with 100% sightings of humpbacks. I recommend Orca Enterprises out of Juneau and Teckk out of Hoonah.

However, your "close" idea needs to be realistically scaled back. It's rare to have encounters like National Geographic. If indeed a priority for you, then I'd be doubling up the options, and look at Pack Creek out of Juneau. Verify the peak times, and do both in both ports.

Just understand that Alaska is a big place and the animals are free to roam the whole of that great big wilderness and avoid populated areas. There are no guarantees that you will see any animals at all.

Well, except Bald Eagles. It would be very surprising if you didn't see them; they're everywhere.

A whale watch offers a good chance at whales, but for bears, that's a big maybe.

Bring binoculars.

Edited by srlafleur

Just understand that Alaska is a big place and the animals are free to roam the whole of that great big wilderness and avoid populated areas. There are no guarantees that you will see any animals at all.

Well, except Bald Eagles. It would be very surprising if you didn't see them; they're everywhere.

A whale watch offers a good chance at whales, but for bears, that's a big maybe.

Bring binoculars.

It has been 100% "chance" of seeing humpbacks on whale watch tours for years.

The fly in bear tours, have excellent stats as well, IF you are going peak. I've made 20+++ trips into Denali, once, did not see bears. These Alaska areas have great potential.

It has been 100% "chance" of seeing humpbacks on whale watch tours for years.

The fly in bear tours, have excellent stats as well, IF you are going peak. I've made 20+++ trips into Denali, once, did not see bears. These Alaska areas have great potential.

Yes, true, just want to temper expectations, for that one in 20 chance. Also, sightings aren't guaranteed to be as up-close-and-personal as they appear on TV and in photos. :)

Speaking from experience, not so much Alaska as Canada. You can't go very far in Quebec without seeing moose. Unless you spend a week driving around with my husband and me, on the Gaspe peninsula, in the wilderness. The only moose "sign" we saw was the yellow diamond-shaped ones by the roadside. :rolleyes: (And hubby has a good eye for spotting wildlife a mile away)

Edited by srlafleur

• 2 weeks later...