Lengthy Gem Review: 1/22/16-2/1/16

dshefter

I doubt this group would be on the Breakaway considering it is a 14-night cruise. Believe the kids are only off for a week. The GEM sailing fell at the right time.

I am from NY and never heard of "Yeshiva Week" prior to reading everything on CC .

Just to be sure we will probably book the Jan.29 sailing .

Lenny

IIRC, we had this same issue discussed on this board for the January, 2014 season....there were a bunch of CC'ers booked on the 19 January - 12 night cruise on the Breakaway, and after their Roll Call was tipped off to the presence of this group, they changed their booking to the 5 January - 12 night cruise (back then there were the 2 night CTN's between them.... they then joined our Roll Call and mentioned the reason for changing dates....;)

2 things.

We were on that cruise and I do not recall the slide working AT ALL during ANY part of the cruise.

And yes, some passengers especially children were unruly, and unsupervised.

A black eye for this particular group of people.

Slide began working the late afternoon Wednesday st Thomas day. Then it was operational the rest of the cruise. I went on it a few times. It's way better then the old one. Lights inside and all.

2 things.

We were on that cruise and I do not recall the slide working AT ALL during ANY part of the cruise.

And yes, some passengers especially children were unruly, and unsupervised.

A black eye for this particular group of people.

The slide did work fro St a Thomas on.

Yes some of the group were especially unruly.

How does the dining package work in the a la carte specialty restaurants? Can you choose more than one appetizer/dessert?

Our family will have 3 generations on this ship. Which specialty restaurants will appeal to young teens and an older generation?

Tks!

I doubt this group would be on the Breakaway considering it is a 14-night cruise. Believe the kids are only off for a week. The GEM sailing fell at the right time.

David...

I would tend to agree with you.

I do not believe that the 14 day venue is something they would entertain.

BTW...thanks again for the golf items in the gift exchange. My dear friend of over 50 years who is an avid golfer celebrated his birthday while we were cruising on the GEM and I gave him one of the golf caps and markers you provided. He loved it and we now have matching caps! :)

I also gave him the calendar and it really made his day.

He couldn't thank me enough and I explained how I received them and you were one of the friends I met on our cruise. He truly believes you have a "dream job! :)

Thanks again.

Don

David...

I would tend to agree with you.

I do not believe that the 14 day venue is something they would entertain.

BTW...thanks again for the golf items in the gift exchange. My dear friend of over 50 years who is an avid golfer celebrated his birthday while we were cruising on the GEM and I gave him one of the golf caps and markers you provided. He loved it and we now have matching caps! :)

I also gave him the calendar and it really made his day.

He couldn't thank me enough and I explained how I received them and you were one of the friends I met on our cruise. He truly believes you have a "dream job! :)

Thanks again.

Don

Thanks Don. If you ever need golf stuff, let me know. We have a great staff sale in August where I can get clothing at unbelievably low rates.

Please send me your email address. My wife has finished up her video and is working uploading to YouTube.

We would love to have a get-together sometime among the "Big Four" if we can pull it off. I know everyone has busy schedules, but we can certainly drive and meet up halfway somewhere in NYC or NJ.

My wife and I want to go on the Escape next year. Our friends just returned and said it was an awesome ship. The ropes course, they said, was incredible, as were the water slides. Believe it is one step up from the Breakaway and its cruises are only 7 days.

The 14-night Breakaway cruise sounds great, but not sure my wife can get that much time off. Ports are wonderful, though.

David...

That "Big Four" Get Together would be nice if we can somehow arrange it when the weather gets a a bit better.

I tried the Ropes Course on the Breakaway and unfortunately I "chickened out" after 5 minutes on it. I am afraid of heights and I panicked. :D

It was kind of embarrassing since it was one of our Roll Call events. My fellow Roll Callers were so supportive....great people like ours.

I will be looking for Christine's video on You Tube.....let me know when it is there.

I will be watching for your review on the Escape....the one on the GEM was fantastic.

My e-mail is DONG70279@aol.com

When are you leaving for you next Golf Tournament?

If you have one in Long Island, perhaps we can see each other briefly. I know that you will be very busy there.

Don