Dutch Harbor

generichandle

We will be in Unalaska/Dutch Harbor this summer for several days. While I have no idea as to what cruise ship excursions might be offered to those there on a port call our plans include birding, visiting the Museum of the Aleutians, the Orthodox Church and the National WWII Historic Area.

This summer the Anchorage Audubon Society is also doing a group trip to Unalaska, and their trip is organized somewhat similar to ours (i.e., using the Alaska State Ferry Tustumena one way and flying the other). You might goggle their website to check if they have listed any bird guides they may be using in Unalaska.

Doug: Regarding wildlife excursions we will be renting a vehicle to visit some birding sites. I really need to check the Anchorage Audubon Society website myself to check if they have listed any details of their plans.

It is unclear if you have read much about Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, but it has an interesting WWII history. Dutch Harbor itself was actually bombed by Japanese aircraft in 1942.

On a clear day Unalaska/Dutch Harbor is quite pretty. While the Aleutians don't look anything like Iceland, when we spent a week in Iceland in 2014 my first reaction to the Old Harbor area of Reykjavik was that it looked remarkably like Dutch.

• 3 weeks later...

While visiting Dutch, you may want to contact Miss Bobbie for a tour. There is only one of her, and she's pretty much the only tour in town. I would not hesitate to contact her ASAP, if you have an interest. We spent the day with her last summer and it was the highlight of our entire trip.

Her contact information is here:

http://www.unalaskadutchharbortour.com

If you want to stay in town there is no need to do a tour. If you like to walk you can enjoy a nice walk into town and stop off at the museum as you walk into town. Or you can just get a taxi. Very easy to do on your own and what is nice about this area is they get very few cruise ships.

Keith