Master Chef at Sea

Hobbsey

Hi,

I saw an announcement today about Nieuw Amsterdam hosting a Master Chef cruise next November.

I wonder if I would have access to all of the Master Chef events if I book direct or via my TA vs. through the Master Chef group itself. I ask because I notice that the pricing is about 2 times higher booking into the specific group then booking with HAL.

I contacted HAL and was told there would be full access but thought I'd ask here in case anyone has past experience.

Thanks

No, you will not be able to attend any of their events.

The group price is higher because it includes all their activities, parties, dinners, etc.

Agreed. This is either a large group or charter. You must book with them to attend their events if it's a large group onboard. If it's a charter, you won't even be on the ship unless you book with them.

That's basic cruise booking 101 so the agent should have known that. I wonder if somehow the way it was asked if maybe they thought you meant the Master Chef's Table onboard, etc... as opposed to the TV show Masterchef.

Agreed. This is either a large group or charter. You must book with them to attend their events if it's a large group onboard. If it's a charter, you won't even be on the ship unless you book with them.

That's basic cruise booking 101 so the agent should have known that. I wonder if somehow the way it was asked if maybe they thought you meant the Master Chef's Table onboard, etc... as opposed to the TV show Masterchef.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

It is not a charter, it's open for direct bookings.

I was very clear with the HAL agent and she left me on hold for about 5 minutes to get the information. However, I know how uninformed cruise reps can be, so that is why I asked here in case anyone has any direct and recent experience.

The only experience I have had with a "special" cruise was on the old Westerdam which I booked direct. Once on board we discovered that it was a special themed cruise with Broadway stars (including Carole Channing). In that case the whole ship was invited to the shows and events.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

It is not a charter, it's open for direct bookings.

I was very clear with the HAL agent and she left me on hold for about 5 minutes to get the information. However, I know how uninformed cruise reps can be, so that is why I asked here in case anyone has any direct and recent experience.

Okay, well that helps narrow it down some.

Did you just speak with reservations or had you called a specialized department like ship services? You may want to call again and do the "second opinion" thing with the agents OR simply contact the masterchef cruise people and let them know "I see a better price with HAL directly. If I book that price do I get to do the masterchef stuff?" Trust me... they will let you know whether or not they'll allow you to play nice with their group :)

I looked up the Master Chef Cruise and listened to the video.

They don't say how large the group will be.

The one thing I would be worried about -- where will all the demonstrations be?

Will this impact people trying to book the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind as they may want to have some dinners together? That happened to us on the Nieuw Amsterdam years ago. There was a big group on board and we could not get a reservation for any night in the Pinnacle as they had everything booked up.

Yep, There's really no value in so many stickies.

Absolutely agree, because most of the "news" has already been mentioned here on the HAL board by members long before Cruise Critic officially plasters it with another sticky.

ps Sorry, Hobbsey, I didn't address your question. Just venting, thank you for sharing your thread :-)

Edited by middle-aged mom

Absolutely agree, because most of the "news" has already been mentioned here on the HAL board by members long before Cruise Critic officially plasters it with another sticky.

ps Sorry, Hobbsey, I didn't address your question. Just venting, thank you for sharing your thread :-)

LOL, no problem Lucy!

Just a quick note.

Several years ago we were on the Westerdam with a Master Chef group. Yes it was a large group not a charter.

Unless you had booked with the Master chef group you were not able to attend their functions. I heard several passengers commenting that they were not able to book some of the specialty dining areas. Master chef had the lower level dining completely booked for late seating.

We still had a great cruise and they didn't seem to "take over" the Ship.

Have a great time whatever you decide.

Marilyn

Just a quick note.

Several years ago we were on the Westerdam with a Master Chef group. Yes it was a large group not a charter.

Unless you had booked with the Master chef group you were not able to attend their functions. I heard several passengers commenting that they were not able to book some of the specialty dining areas. Master chef had the lower level dining completely booked for late seating.

We still had a great cruise and they didn't seem to "take over" the Ship.

Have a great time whatever you decide.

Marilyn

That's what I mentioned about the specialty restaurants.

Also the Crow's Nest was closed a few evenings for special parties for them.

• 4 months later...

I just booked this cruise today through Life's Jourmeys.com. This is the company sponsoring the MasterChef events. It is my understanding that these events are only for those who have booked through Life's Journeys. Last year they had over 500 guests. This year they are expecting over 800.

Would recommend the OP send an email to HAL through their Contact Us section on the website to ask the question again. I have had really good luck getting correct answers vs what I have been told on the phone. Plus you have a written confirmation of their response.

Hubby and I LOVE the show and would love to take this cruise - but it's at LEAST DOUBLE the current fares through anyone else and we can't justify $700-1000 or more just to have those "experiences"... I'd probably consider it for $250pp but not $1000.