SHARE....one more time....

laughing husky

I fully understand that cruise lines have to adapt and change to match changes in the customer base and to implement new visions and strategic directions. I suspect Carnival will make some changes to further differentiate between Holland and Princess. Simply too much overlap there. Perhaps a merger there or aligning the two lines into separate geographic regions?

Back to SHARE. I do think SHARE has a lot of attraction to Australian cruisers. Great. I can see putting SHARE on one Caribbean ship to attract Australians who want to cruise there. I really don't see a need for all ships to have the same features. I would never expect a cruise ship tailored to the Chinese market to be the same as one for the Caribbean market. OTOH, I wouldn't expect a Chinese tailored ship to be successful in the Caribbean either.

SHARE may just be an experiment. It could be an experiment to see how elastic specialty prices can be. After all, Celebrity charges quite a bit more. SHARE could be a lot of things.

I'm just not convinced that SHARE is the right concept for the majority of the ships. I do think Sabatini's could be improved too.

Wife and I are different from you. We haven't been in the MDR since our very first cruise. We find it noisy, crowded, and to be honest, a bit pretentious. We use the specialty restaurants and more frequently use the buffets.

Your right. Share was never intended for all ships. I agree on Sabatini's as well, or maybe I've just eaten there too many times. Couldn't agree with you more on the MDR, although on a family cruise, we generally go early seating traditional dining so we are together at least once a day...

I guess what bothers me is the number of folks who think its "really something" Its as good as banquet food can be, I don't mean that. But if fine dining is a part of your vacation plans, its not the place. I unfortunately live (when I'm home) in an area where 39.00 is a bargain for just about any meal and a part of our cruise budget is the specialty dining. We've done the shore tours and I'm too old for beach volleyball so its actually a bargain.

Edited by TNTLAMB

Shredie, what's with all the negative, cutting and unproductive remarks? May I ask, is this a reflection of how your daily live is treating you?

Oh, I don't know. I guess I get a little testy being told "beware, there's math" and called "ignorant mule" and other insults. You misread my post about the multi-generations. I was actually agreeing with you. (I should be aware by now, after teaching college English for more than 30 years, that some people simply do not have the gene required to understand sarcasm--or the apostrophe gene, either. However, I guess I'm just an optimist.)

I don't know how many times I've said this, but since I'm accused of being a broken record, I'll say it again. I do not care who goes to SHARE. Everyone can go to SHARE. I'll stand at the door and wish you Bon Appetite. I hope you love every morsel. My point in all of this is that I do not want to go SHARE, and I'm tired of being told I can't have an opinion because I haven't eaten there. I don't know why it's so hard for some people to understand that it is possible to decide that a restaurant is not for you simply by reading the menu or seeing the price tag. The food does not sound appealing to me. I would rather spend my money in Sab's or CG, and I wouldn't have to spend so much. I am not a pretentious foodie, and I'm not impressed by the name of some TV chef. There is no reason whatsoever for me to go to SHARE, but I keep getting called all sort of vile names because I don't want to.

Go! Eat! Spend Money! How many times do I have to say it?

(Oh yes, I find it silly that another way to bludgeon us into going to SHARE is offering up arcane business theory.)

Edited by shredie

But, I get it. You've decided that the "many" find my participation is an unwelcome detraction from your intelligent and interesting conversation on the superlative qualities of SHARE.

I guess I'll just "waddle" down to the buffet and see if I can get me some of them corn dogs and tater tots. Probably need to hurry too. It's crowded there. Not at all like SHARE.

I love you. XOXO

Your right. Share was never intended for all ships. I agree on Sabatini's as well, or maybe I've just eaten there too many times. Couldn't agree with you more on the MDR, although on a family cruise, we generally go early seating traditional dining so we are together at least once a day...

I guess what bothers me is the number of folks who think its "really something" Its as good as banquet food can be, I don't mean that. But if fine dining is a part of your vacation plans, its not the place. I unfortunately live (when I'm home) in an area where 39.00 is a bargain for just about any meal and a part of our cruise budget is the specialty dining. We've done the shore tours and I'm too old for beach volleyball so its actually a bargain.

The initial reports were that SHARE would be replacing Sabatini's across the fleet. Some matre'd reported that as well. Now, some reports are indicating that this might not be the case. I note that Regal's deck plans beyond April 2017 are still showing Sabatini's.

Here in North Alabama, you can find a few places above $39, Ruth Cris. Other than a few $40 is pretty top end. We don't venture out to those all that often. We're very fortunate in that we can walk to the club house for our country club. The most expensive item is an 8 oz $32 filet with grilled shrimp. The wife prefers the fried oysters and grits for around $18. It's nice, it's convenient, and I've not yet met anyone arrested for Walking Home While Intoxicated (WHWI).

Three weeks from today we'll be on our way to our next cruise on Holland. Holland allows anyone in any cabin category to order room service from the MDR menu. We've got a couple of specialties reserved but I think most of the time we'll order in. We've got an aft wrap suite with a balcony to die for including a table for four.

BTW, we're a bit too old for flowriders and rock climbing. Often we don't get off the ship.

The initial reports were that SHARE would be replacing Sabatini's across the fleet. Some matre'd reported that as well. Now, some reports are indicating that this might not be the case. I note that Regal's deck plans beyond April 2017 are still showing Sabatini's.

Here in North Alabama, you can find a few places above $39, Ruth Cris. Other than a few $40 is pretty top end. We don't venture out to those all that often. We're very fortunate in that we can walk to the club house for our country club. The most expensive item is an 8 oz $32 filet with grilled shrimp. The wife prefers the fried oysters and grits for around $18. It's nice, it's convenient, and I've not yet met anyone arrested for Walking Home While Intoxicated (WHWI).

Three weeks from today we'll be on our way to our next cruise on Holland. Holland allows anyone in any cabin category to order room service from the MDR menu. We've got a couple of specialties reserved but I think most of the time we'll order in. We've got an aft wrap suite with a balcony to die for including a table for four.

BTW, we're a bit too old for flowriders and rock climbing. Often we don't get off the ship.

I hear you. We alternate between Holland and Princess also. We live in a resort area of Western Montana. Its easy to spend 15 bucks on a burger (and I mean a burger). I don't know of anyone serving a Filet (really) Its bone in Rib Eye or Porterhouse at most better eateries. Fresh Seafood other than Salmon is rare. We split a lot of meals. We fly out to Seattle every month or so. My wife says its just for oysters (my favorite) but she doesn't want to admit we go for the entertainment. Oysters and Grits? Maybe we'll have to retire to Alabama. Do you have a football team?

I hear you. We alternate between Holland and Princess also. We live in a resort area of Western Montana. Its easy to spend 15 bucks on a burger (and I mean a burger). I don't know of anyone serving a Filet (really) Its bone in Rib Eye or Porterhouse at most better eateries. Fresh Seafood other than Salmon is rare. We split a lot of meals. We fly out to Seattle every month or so. My wife says its just for oysters (my favorite) but she doesn't want to admit we go for the entertainment. Oysters and Grits? Maybe we'll have to retire to Alabama. Do you have a football team?

The two nearest pro teams are in Nashville (Titans) a 2 hour drive. It's about a four hour drive to Atlanta (Falcons). NOLA and the Saints are about six hours.

I've heard there are a couple of fairly good college teams (Alabama and Auburn) around here but I can't recommend either of them. I'm an Oklahoma Sooners fan since I grew up there.

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen a filet on the menu in a long time. They do, however, currently serve a Fillet. You can also get a 14 oz ribeye for $28. The Saturday night special is a 14 oz prime rib for $18.

Once the weather improves we'll be dining on the back deck much more. We just extended the roof and added a covered deck area with a great view of the course and overhead fans and TV. The wife is Seahawks/Broncos/Patriots/Packers fan. We watch a lot of football there.

BTW, I do a very good steak, much better than most steak houses. If you want endive foam with that, you'll have to bring your own.

Oysters and grits. Grits, in case you didn't know, are a southern delicacy. IIRC, Regal had grits in the buffet. Try them if you haven't had them. Add a touch of salt and a bit of butter. Get a big bowl and top it with a couple of over easy eggs. Another common thing around here is shrimp and grits which is quite good too. I'm just not much of a fan of fried oysters.

Love Grits....

So how did you guys let Diron Reynolds get away? My Daughter makes a lot of OKs games

I like college Ball but my wife refuses to give up her Sea Hawks tickets.

Funny how things change from place to place up here Fillet is fish and Filet is beef.

The two nearest pro teams are in Nashville (Titans) a 2 hour drive. It's about a four hour drive to Atlanta (Falcons). NOLA and the Saints are about six hours.

I've heard there are a couple of fairly good college teams (Alabama and Auburn) around here but I can't recommend either of them. I'm an Oklahoma Sooners fan since I grew up there.

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen a filet on the menu in a long time. They do, however, currently serve a Fillet. You can also get a 14 oz ribeye for $28. The Saturday night special is a 14 oz prime rib for $18.

Once the weather improves we'll be dining on the back deck much more. We just extended the roof and added a covered deck area with a great view of the course and overhead fans and TV. The wife is Seahawks/Broncos/Patriots/Packers fan. We watch a lot of football there.

BTW, I do a very good steak, much better than most steak houses. If you want endive foam with that, you'll have to bring your own.

Oysters and grits. Grits, in case you didn't know, are a southern delicacy. IIRC, Regal had grits in the buffet. Try them if you haven't had them. Add a touch of salt and a bit of butter. Get a big bowl and top it with a couple of over easy eggs. Another common thing around here is shrimp and grits which is quite good too. I'm just not much of a fan of fried oysters.

May I suggest on the deck grilled oysters on the half shell. Buy a bushel, open fresh, complete PIA, and grill in shell with garlic butter. Google Drago's in New Orleans recipe. They will make you see Elvis and your wife will see Brad Pitt when she looks into your eyes.

Love Grits....

So how did you guys let Diron Reynolds get away? My Daughter makes a lot of OKs games

I like college Ball but my wife refuses to give up her Sea Hawks tickets.

Funny how things change from place to place up here Fillet is fish and Filet is beef.

I don't get all that excited about pro ball either but the wife is watching all she can.

Diron. Don't think we had much choice there. He only signed a one year contract, his family stayed in California, an opening at Stanford. I don't think we had a chance to keep him. Rumor has it that Michigan State defensive line coach Ron Burton has the inside track. If you daughter is a big fan, she might want to try this site.

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/

These guys are wired into the OU program, present a lot of good stuff, and run a clean board.

Your daughter in Oklahoma? Kind of far to drive from Montana.

I don't get all that excited about pro ball either but the wife is watching all she can.

Diron. Don't think we had much choice there. He only signed a one year contract, his family stayed in California, an opening at Stanford. I don't think we had a chance to keep him. Rumor has it that Michigan State defensive line coach Ron Burton has the inside track. If you daughter is a big fan, she might want to try this site.

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/

These guys are wired into the OU program, present a lot of good stuff, and run a clean board.

Your daughter in Oklahoma? Kind of far to drive from Montana.

Its worse than that she went to KU on a tennis scholarship, went on the pro tour for a couple of years, became a club pro in Witchita, somehow ended up a Judge in SW Kansa and never came home. She is getting married next week (finally) IF the weather cooperates. We are all on the CB and has a shore wedding planned in Key West. Should be a logistical challenge at the least.

A clean fan board? surley you jest. You could do a lot worse than Buton. He was amazing at Air Force, lost track of him at Michigan. Didn't seem like a fit to me. You could say she is a fan..... Has an 8 ft screen in her OU room (couple of nice kegerators too)

Edited by TNTLAMB

Its worse than that she went to KU on a tennis scholarship, went on the pro tour for a couple of years, became a club pro in Witchita, somehow ended up a Judge in SW Kansa and never came home. She is getting married next week (finally) IF the weather cooperates. We are all on the CB and has a shore wedding planned in Key West. Should be a logistical challenge at the least.

A clean fan board? surley you jest. You could do a lot worse than Buton. He was amazing at Air Force, lost track of him at Michigan. Didn't seem like a fit to me. You could say she is a fan..... Has an 8 ft screen in her OU room (couple of nice kegerators too)

Congratulations on your new son-in-law. Best wishes to the bride and groom. We loved CB and we've got another one on her booked for next december.

Yes, a clean fan board. No profanity. No derogatory comments about other posters. You could let a teenage daughter use that site. Free too.

Here's the thread on Burton.

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-oklahoma-sooners-football-ron-burton-michigan-state-defensive-line-coach-diron-reynolds-bob-stoops

They called it a couple of days early than anyone else on Diron. They often know a day or two about commitment from recruits. Have a lot of very good analysis too.

BTW, wife created an OU room too. Only has a 75 inch screen. Crimson blackout curtains. Creme walls. OU fatheads on the wall.

Edited by RocketMan275

May I suggest on the deck grilled oysters on the half shell. Buy a bushel, open fresh, complete PIA, and grill in shell with garlic butter. Google Drago's in New Orleans recipe. They will make you see Elvis and your wife will see Brad Pitt when she looks into your eyes.

Thanks. I found the recipes. Sound much better than fried. We have a Wentzel's oyster house here that does four different kinds of grilled oysters. You get four each of Oysters Monterrey, Oysters Bienville, Oysters Rockefeller and Oysters Monterrey, Oysters Bienville, Oysters Rockefeller, and Chargrilled Oysters. I'm not sure what I would do at my age if my wife suddenly thought I was Brad Pitt.

Thanks. I found the recipes. Sound much better than fried. We have a Wentzel's oyster house here that does four different kinds of grilled oysters. You get four each of Oysters Monterrey, Oysters Bienville, Oysters Rockefeller and Oysters Monterrey, Oysters Bienville, Oysters Rockefeller, and Chargrilled Oysters. I'm not sure what I would do at my age if my wife suddenly thought I was Brad Pitt.

I know for sure if it was on a cruise, we would definitely need an oversized balcony because that's where I'd be sleeping IF I didn't explode first.

BTW, next time you're on a Stone-laden ship, you might want to eat at SHARE every night. Reports are that the place is next-to-empty and the waiters are up on deck trolling for customers.

Quote from a staff member who works in SHARE from early this morning on Emerald Princess:

"We are actually very busy this cruise, over 100 covers daily."

I will confirm a few things this coming week while on board. I do believe that SHARE seats 112.

So essentially 100 covers is just one seating, without any turnover. I wouldn't count that as good or great, but it's much better that what the nay-say-er's will have one believe.

Whereas CG or any popular restaurant looks to turn tables 2-4 times during a meal period, depending on hours of operation and estimated visit time. Sabatini's was a LONG seating, so I'd guess at best their turnover was right at 2.

SHARE is a quicker meal (another reason to limit guests to ONE item per course without a charge: speeds up the dinner) and I bet they estimated 3 turns as they were projecting revenue and profitability.

Quote from a staff member who works in SHARE from early this morning on Emerald Princess:

I will confirm a few things this coming week while on board. I do believe that SHARE seats 112.

So essentially 100 covers is just one seating, without any turnover. I wouldn't count that as good or great, but it's much better that what the nay-say-er's will have one believe.

Whereas CG or any popular restaurant looks to turn tables 2-4 times during a meal period, depending on hours of operation and estimated visit time. Sabatini's was a LONG seating, so I'd guess at best their turnover was right at 2.

SHARE is a quicker meal (another reason to limit guests to ONE item per course without a charge: speeds up the dinner) and I bet they estimated 3 turns as they were projecting revenue and profitability.

Small Plate dining is slower however but even at that, similar restaurants look at 1.6 cover to seating turns as the maximum "comfortable level" (thus the higher cost in these types restaurants despite lower food costs) They can handle more of course. I'm curious what their goal was too. But I bet its less than 3. Please keep us posted as you learn.

Thanks for your input.

Funny thing about Sabatinis. Back in the darks ages we ate as guests several times just so they would have butts in the seats as they built the concept.

Edited by TNTLAMB

A good friend of mine was on the Ruby on a seven day Mexico cruise. He told me he ate at Share on the second night of the cruise and really enjoyed it very much. Good food and service. He also did say the place was empty and he was there at 7:00 pm. He also told me he heard some people saying they did not like the cover charge price of $39 compared to Crown Grill only charging $25. I get the feeling Share will be hit or miss depending on the passengers on different cruises. I have cruised with Princess many times and love the Crown Grill, usually eat there at least two or three times on a 10 night cruise. It is a bargain for $25. Yet many times I have eaten there there were always many empty tables and booths some nights. It is great for me because I am always able to get a reservation. Just hope Share does well enough to add the venue to all Princess ships.

It's funny that it doesn't look nearly as crowded at the Crown Grill.

It's funny that it doesn't look nearly as crowded at the Crown Grill.

Probably because it's not.

I know you'd agree that Crown Grill almost always seems packed; many times it's hard to get a reservation.

And I wouldn't argue with anyone that stated that CG serves more covers than SHARE.

However, don't overlook these aspects and differences that can DISTORT how things LOOK when you compare the two outlets.

The CG floor plan is laid out rather densely, meaning that tables are placed to maximize the use of space. Whereas SHARE almost seems to waste space with its floor plan, especially in the area around the community table. When the community table is not in use, the restaurant has a feeling of emptiness.

Also, the average dining time in CG I'm pretty sure, is much longer. I have my ideas on why this is, but since I'm on Emerald in a few days, I'll hold them until I'm on board and can ask some questions whose answers will support my thoughts.

Once when walking past Sabatini's & noticing it was about half full we decided to try to be seated for dinner. We were unable to be seated & as I recall it was because they staggered their reservation times. So despite seeing many empty tables they were being held for passengers with reservations who would be arriving soon. Maybe the limits of the kitchen & staff may result in restaurants not always appearing to be crowded.

It's been my experience that the CG is usually more crowded than Sabatini's. I think that the Sabatini's entrées could be better but enjoy their other courses. We could go to the CG repeatedly but not Sabatini's & maybe other passengers feel similarly and that's another reason why Sabatini's is less busy than the CG whenever we go there.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Let me begin by saying that my husband and I are loyal fans of Princess cruises. Our first cruise with Princess was to Alaska 10 years ago and we do one or two cruises per year with Princess. This year we decided to do a short four night cruise over Valentine's weekend on the Emerald Princess. On Valentine's Day, we elected to have dinner at Share, figuring that if we had stayed home, we would have gone out for a special dinner anyway. The food was delicious, but portions are small which seems to be the trend in nouveou cuisine restarants. The service was impeccable. Now the not so good...portions were small, which for many diners may be unacceptable, especially those looking for a hearty meal that leaves them fully satiated. I personally like the look of the restaurant, but it is totally different from look of the Princess Cruise fleet. At $39 per person plus the cost of a drink (other than water), the cost per couple would be well over $100.00. During the 5:30-7:30 time slot on Valentine's day, I would say that there were no more than a dozen couples in Share. I think Princess may have made a costly marketing mistake here. I loved Sabatini's; I liked Share. I would go to Sabatini's again on future cruises; I would not go back to Share. I will add that my husband and I are from New York and trying new and different restaurants is one of our joys, but $100.00 for a specialty restaurant on a cruise ship...