SHARE....one more time....

laughing husky

Sadly, Rocket, trendy food is a really big deal or the younger crowd. Just as Skywalkers was on the Grand back in the day. There are two television networks dedicated to it (not to mention dozens of private channels on Roku etc) Thousands of Apps, dozens of magazines, and not one general content TV channel that doesn't have a reality Chef/cooking show. Now whether or not passengers partake in Share, Gastro Pub, Norman Love over priced Hershey Bars or Bayou is not nearly as important as having the trendy stuff available and acknowledged. Princess has literally gotten MILLIONs in free advertising and clicks from their press releases.

Whether we see more "Shares" or not is anyone's guess. We certainly will see more Chef Tables from celebrity Chefs. Personally I think they need to expand their Whiskey Offerings Way too much bourbon, and far too many blends IMO. I would love to see a broader selection of single barrel and single malts IF they are going to call it a whiskey bar. But that's just me. But I'm not going to throw a fit over it.

First, the menu doesn't appeal to me so I am going to be one unwilling to pay the $39 to try a menu that doesn't appeal to me.

I am glad that some people enjoy it. Some here are saying "go ahead and try it before you have an opinion". Though, by reports, SHARE is often empty. I think the concept is not successful unless you get people who are open to the new menu and willing to pay the $39 to try it. If the restaurant is empty many nights, something is wrong here.

I am one who thinks Sabatini's could have been easily improved with a menu change. Princess makes wonderful pastas and with the right change, could have been pretty successful.

I think SHARE would be better attended if they change the menu. I am not against Curtis Stone - I have used some of his recipes at home. I just don't think the menu appeals to many. I don't think lowing the price will increase those attending the alternative restaurant either.

If people are not willing to try the menu, the restaurant will probably stay empty unless they can fill it with free promos (suites, new booking incentives, etc..).

I am glad they have halted expansion.

I think you meant to say Salty Dog in Wheelhouse Bar. So far, only the "bigger girls" (not the BIG girls) have it. Let's hope it stays that way.

I refreshed my memory again by looking at the deck plans & as I recall on the Crown it was in the Explorers Lounge which is where I read the menu placed on it's bar to promote the Salty Dog.

I've read posts from those who were upset about the Explorers dance floor not being as useful with the Salty Dog there now & different music.

I probably won't try SHARE either, but I know my husband will want to. He is a very adventurous eater. So this will have to play itself out come November. :D:D

Coral, how right you are about Sabs. There were so many delicious meals. I think the best Penne Bolognese I had was at Sabs. (other than in Venice).

I don't think anyone will ever do better than Venice for that dish.

And lets us not forget how wonderful the Fettuccini Alfredo is?:):) Princess is very good at pasta dishes. Alfredo's is a great example of very good dishes also.

I probably won't try SHARE either, but I know my husband will want to. He is a very adventurous eater. So this will have to play itself out come November. :D:D

Coral, how right you are about Sabs. There were so many delicious meals. I think the best Penne Bolognese I had was at Sabs. (other than in Venice).

I don't think anyone will ever do better than Venice for that dish.

And lets us not forget how wonderful the Fettuccini Alfredo is?:):) Princess is very good at pasta dishes. Alfredo's is a great example of very good dishes also.

Princess does an awesome lasagna, a too die for pasta carbonara. Love their dining room penne arrabbiata that the head waiters make. I have had some special pastas that the head waiters made for our table that I have no idea what they were but they were amazing. I loved their pizzeria on the Sun Class ships which offered different items than Alfredos and Alfredos is a hit. I think their previous menus were too seafood based (though leave some seafood for those who love it).

Sabatini's has seen a decrease in utilization over the past few years but I personally think this could have been over come by a change in menu.

I am one who thinks Sabatini's could have been easily improved with a menu change. Princess makes wonderful pastas and with the right change, could have been pretty successful.

I am glad they have halted expansion.

I feel the same way about the Sabatini's menu which should be changed because to me the entrées are the weak spot in an otherwise tasty menu. :)

A passenger who sailed the Coral post drydock was told by the maître d' that SHARE did not replace Sabatini's because SHARE was not successful on other ships. Princess promoted adding SHARE to the Coral & shows it on the deck plans so obviously something drastically changed to cancel their plans. I'd think if Princess thought SHARE would eventually be successful they would have added it on the Coral as planned.

As I've posted, I hoped that SHARE would be successful to attract new passengers and existing passengers who enjoy the menu. However canceling their plans tells me that's not happening & that passenger's quote from the maître d' makes it clear that SHARE has not been successful.

As merely a passenger & not a marketing "expert" it's obvious to me that not all marketing decisions are correct...how'd the New Coke's marketing decision work out? :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

If thats correct and not an assumption.... Absolutley NOTHING went right with the Coral dry dock from what I was told. They were days behind before they ever started. They certainly turned back to sea a ship that should never have been.

Edited by TNTLAMB

I refreshed my memory again by looking at the deck plans & as I recall on the Crown it was in the Explorers Lounge which is where I read the menu placed on it's bar to promote the Salty Dog.

I've read posts from those who were upset about the Explorers dance floor not being as useful with the Salty Dog there now & different music.

I was on the Crown four times this past year or so, and I even took a picture of the Salty Dog changes in the Wheelhouse Bar. I think your memory is little off. :):)

Sadly, Rocket, trendy food is a really big deal or the younger crowd. Just as Skywalkers was on the Grand back in the day.

If you are suggesting that Skywalkers was removed from the Grand because it was trendy and no longer appealing, you are wrong.

Just off the Ruby on Jan 24th from Hawaii, and in the 15 nights I never saw more than 2 tables (out of 30 tables) occupied at one time any evening, and I say these as I started and ended every night next door at Adagio and witnessed the nightly SHARE emptiness first hand

I predicted.. that by years end the SHARE spaces will be converted into the currently very successful Crab Shacks, and that SHARE will be forgotten bad memory

Srpilo

Just off the Ruby on Jan 24th from Hawaii, and in the 15 nights I never saw more than 2 tables (out of 30 tables) occupied at one time any evening, and I say these as I started and ended every night next door at Adagio and witnessed the nightly SHARE emptiness first hand

I predicted.. that by years end the SHARE spaces will be converted into the currently very successful Crab Shacks, and that SHARE will be forgotten bad memory

Srpilo

Oh, that's a good idea. Those corner-of-the-buffet venues are not very special, IMO.

I was on the Crown four times this past year or so, and I even took a picture of the Salty Dog changes in the Wheelhouse Bar. I think your memory is little off. :):)

Then obviously my memory is a little off about the location...opps! :o ;)

Thanks...I've now better refreshed my memory for future reference. :D

No skywalkers was removed because it made the ship sail bow high. It also improved her fuel economy by about 3-4%. The bow high tendency was peculiar to Grand Princess because of the old materials to build her. BUT during that dry dock not only was sky walkers removed and replaced with a smaller night club called ONE5 , they added Piazza atrium, a tea lounge new library Alfredos, and the Crown Grill.. All of it went towards a new marketing plan and traditional look promoting their product as a relaxing one and less frenetic than the likes of NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival all of which were promoting a floating party. A slope Princess had started up and decided against. Even the other Grand class ships where sky walkers remained have a very different atmosphere than back in 1998

Edited by TNTLAMB

So what does the Anytime Dining Menu have to do with Share which is what the OP was reviewing? And speaking of following threads, there is not ship in the fleet that you can not order the "old stuff" on. Frankly I'm sure they would LOVE to serve you a 4 oz piece of farm raised frozen Salmon (they sell the same thing at the Dollar tree) as opposed to some of the other menu items. They also have plenty of "beef Medallions" as they are left overs from trimming the filet.

I would like to say that the Ruby still has on the anytime menu....the farm raised salmon which has the consistency of mush......I know that I will get flamed, but L live in Alaska, I fish for salmon and you are NOT getting the real stuff.....and I might add....although this has been removed previously.....when Princess says wild caught salmon....that is true....but it is PINKS......what you put in a can, not on a plate......Honest....anyway, for those who like it....The salmon is still on the Ruby....could not get back any sooner....Had a house fire....but all is more or less well, and I guess I will redecorate....:) (sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying)

Srpilo

Why was the venue empty? Was it the food, the concept, or the $39.00 per person price?

When I was on the Ruby, the SHARE was at least half full....We could not get the time we wanted to reserve. The tables are so far spaced from each other that unless you actually go in and look, you cannot see diners as you are walking by except at the first couple of tables....SHARE.....as we were told by the executive chef....was not going on every ship....So far, the Ruby and the Emerald, and the Sun.....Think of it, Crown Grill is not on all ships, neither was Sab's, neither is the Bayou....Heck we can't get IC on every ship....:) Pick your ship....and go to a restaurant on the ship....It is just a meal....and I will say that the price of the wines are a lot more expensive than in the MDR, however, they serve several by the glass....and even brought me a taste of a wine to see if I liked it.....If I remember correctly, the glasses were about $10.00....and they served a good pour....I would also like to agree about the whiskeys......I would very much like to see more Scotch....single malt please...They do go to Scotland, wouldn't it be nice to showcase some of those?

Again last evening at around 7 PM SHARE did not appear filled at all. Maybe they were waiting for reservations to arrive?

I hope they are only using this as a test on the Emerald & leave Sabatini's on the other ships the way it is now. :confused:

Please, please, please. Do not want to give up Sabatini's.

When I was on the Ruby, the SHARE was at least half full....We could not get the time we wanted to reserve. The tables are so far spaced from each other that unless you actually go in and look, you cannot see diners as you are walking by except at the first couple of tables....SHARE.....as we were told by the executive chef....was not going on every ship....So far, the Ruby and the Emerald, and the Sun.....Think of it, Crown Grill is not on all ships, neither was Sab's, neither is the Bayou....Heck we can't get IC on every ship....:)

People will only see what they want to see, and many are simply against any change at all.

Srpilo

I disagree as Princess I'm sure has at least a year contract with Curtis Stone, and having SHARE is most likely a stipulation of that partnership agreement.

I believe the Norman Love contract expanded with other offerings after the initial year or two period was up.

People will only see what they want to see, and many are simply against any change at all.

Yes, I refuse to see invisible people when I don't want to. :rolleyes: I guess the Stone Cheerleading Squad is not going to accept objective reality and will be rah-rah-ing even after they give Stone the boot and replace SHARE with something even more expensive and less appealing.

Yes, I refuse to see invisible people when I don't want to. :rolleyes: I guess the Stone Cheerleading Squad is not going to accept objective reality and will be rah-rah-ing even after they give Stone the boot and replace SHARE with something even more expensive and less appealing.

No, it's more like actually trying something before dismissing it, as many people have done with Share since it was first announced (as well as many changes Princess has made over the years so it's really nothing new.) if it doesn't work out and Princess changes it, then so be it - but it's very amusing to see those who complain about the food and such who have never tasted it - especially when those who have tried it have given mostly positive reviews.

No, it's more like actually trying something before dismissing it, as many people have done with Share since it was first announced (as well as many changes Princess has made over the years so it's really nothing new.) if it doesn't work out and Princess changes it, then so be it - but it's very amusing to see those who complain about the food and such who have never tasted it - especially when those who have tried it have given mostly positive reviews.

Where does one sign up for the Cheerleading Squad anyway? Did they hand out application forms when you went there to drop $39? I assume you have eaten there since you object to people having an opinion about something unless they have personally experienced it. Myself, I have never had my tongue ripped out by an alligator, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to "try... something before dismissing it." Maybe that's just me.

The proper spelling, by the way, is "SHARE," like shouting.

Where does one sign up for the Cheerleading Squad anyway? Did they hand out application forms when you went there to drop $39? I assume you have eaten there since you object to people having an opinion about something unless they have personally experienced it. Myself, I have never had my tongue ripped out by an alligator, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to "try... something before dismissing it." Maybe that's just me.

The proper spelling, by the way, is "SHARE," like shouting.

Broken record. SSDD