How Much Do You Usually Tip Porters???

mjmcgove

as the title states, also when i get dropped off, do i leave my luggage with the porter and they take care of the rest? or is there a process, i already have my taxes on my luggage to go, other than that can i just leave my luggage with the porter and trust that it'll get on the ship just fine?

sorry if i sound stupid or newbish, its my first cruise ever and i am just trying to have everything ready and known to me when i go! :o:D

as the title states, also when i get dropped off, do i leave my luggage with the porter and they take care of the rest? or is there a process, i already have my taxes on my luggage to go, other than that can i just leave my luggage with the porter and trust that it'll get on the ship just fine?

sorry if i sound stupid or newbish, its my first cruise ever and i am just trying to have everything ready and known to me when i go! :o:D

Please don't apologize. Your question is why, IMHO, these boards exist. It is nice to see a new cruiser trying to make the most of their vacations rather than , my self included on occasions, complaining about something.

We tip $10 at drop off but about $20 for the porter that takes all our bags through the line/customs to the shuttle.

We usually check 2 Rolling Bags and One Garment Bag (Which has to go on a special cart, separately, and is usually the last bag to get to us-even with FTTF) we give $20-$25. Four Bags we have given $30.

We are a Union family and the bags are handled by hard working guys and gals from, what used to be known as, The Longshoreman's Union, so we treat our own, like we are treated. It's our tradition and our custom. Again, this is what WE do and I am not instructing anyone else to follow what IMHO, feel is right, proper and just.

The porters are taking the luggage only about 10 feet and then the ship's crew do all the rest of the moving so I pay the $2 per bag ransom that the port employees demand or they'll threaten the future of your bags but that's it!

Edited by Jana60

The porters are taking the luggage only about 10 feet and then the ship's crew do all the rest of the moving so I pay the $2 per bag ransom that the port employees demand or they'll threaten the future of your bags but that's it!

They get maybe a dollar a bag from me. I would put it in the cart myself if I was allowed. I can see the cart. I don't even know why they are there except to extort money out of tourist. Coming back, whole different thing. Our ported is sometimes with us 30 min or more. Those I tip more depending on how helpful and entertaining they have been and if they put the bags in the car or just push the cart to the car and then I have to do the loading.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We gave the porters $25.00 (per cabin) but he also tag 2 cases of water (2 cabins) 11 days..... and diet pepsi.

My luggage was at both cabins by the time we got to them.. 1 pm.

Edited by rjrice1

When we used to check bags, it was approx $5/bag getting on the ship. When getting off if they were really nice and helpful, we would give a little more.

I don't pay anything now as I travel with only a carry on sized suitcase and either a tote or under the seat case which I carry myself. The money I save gets passed on to the hard working, underpaid (IMHO) crew aboard the ship in addition to auto/prepaid tips.

Edited by firemanbobswife

We just returned from a cruise on Carnival Splendor and when we dropped off our bags the porter said he would take care of them and we could take care of him if we wanted to and that most people tip $2 a bag. So that's what we did.

When we used to check bags, it was approx $5/bag getting on the ship. When getting off if they were really nice and helpful, we would give a little more.

I don't pay anything now as I travel with only a carry on sized suitcase and either a tote or under the seat case which I carry myself. The money I save gets passed on to the hard working, underpaid (IMHO) crew aboard the ship in addition to auto/prepaid tips.

Thank you and I agree. God Bless Your Spouse for being a Fire Fighter and a proud Union Member.

This was from Port Canavaral in 2015. I think the only place I've seen this. We tip $5 for 2 carryon size bags anyway.

11082628_10153191814773958_6745328412317819688_n.jpg?oh=36c888579ac540a76384cc77598d75da&oe=57378C97

It used to be in New Orleans too, but wss not put back up after Katrina.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We also do a dollar a bag. These are some of the highest paid workers in the country and dont see much value added for what they make.

We're probably the last who remember when it was .50 cents a bag, Stu. The suggested $1 per bag was upped to $1.50 and then went to $2 a bag around 1998. I give $5 for 2 bags and call it a day. I refuse to be cheap with the people who help save my back ;)

I tip the driver of the bus that takes us from the off-site parking to the pier about $2-3 per bag depending on how much help he is. Most of these guys take your bags from the car and load them on the bus, then unload them and help you to locate a porter. Porters also get $2-3 per bag depending on how friendly, alert and helpful they are. Same deal upon return to port.

These guys work hard and deserve a decent tip for their work.

I gave a guy $7 for 3 bags once and apparently it wasn't enough. He acted all kinds of upset and sent me to a closed parking garage.

The fact is, they work for tips, so they should be tipped.

Another fact is they see you for about 2 minutes. How much should you pay someone for 2 minutes of work?

I've always tipped $10 since that first time and that seems like a lot but I just don't want any issues.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure we're talking about moving luggage, not fighting for our country.