Age for Adult Only Deck 11 Pool on Sunshine

paminohio

I believe per the rules serenity is 21+. Not that I'm advocating either way, but if you're okay with bending the rules, I can't imagine anyone bothering much with a well-behaved 18 year old. A loud rowdy crew sure, but someone quietly enjoying some sun likely wouldn't attract much attention especially if they look the part of 21. Again, of course, it is technically against the rules so being asked to leave is possible & fair.

Nearly 18 isn't the same as 18

Okay, let's say he's 17 yrs 11 mos and they say that's close enough.

I come along and my kid is 17 yrs 10 mos,,, is that close enough?

How about 17 yrs 9 mos? Is this close enough?

When is it not close enough?

Nearly 18 isn't the same as 18

Okay, let's say he's 17 yrs 11 mos and they say that's close enough.

I come along and my kid is 17 yrs 10 mos,,, is that close enough?

How about 17 yrs 9 mos? Is this close enough?

When is it not close enough?

Well, that's a moot point since it's actually 21 and not 18 but it's not like they're carding people at the door either. Guess it depends on if you want to break the rules and risk being asked to leave.

I think it is great that you asked this question!

I've seen families with young children sitting in Serenity who get annoyed when asked if they have read the sign which says 21+!

I doubt if anyone would say anything to a quiet family group with older teens.

On Carnival website it states 21. When you are on the ship and read the fun times it says 18. Which is correct. My 19 year old well behaved daughter used serenity on Sunshine 12/27/2015 cruise no problem. My husband had to tell about 4 guys to tone it down because they were too rowdy on the serenity. The guys were 20-30 years old. ?????????????

On Carnival website it states 21. When you are on the ship and read the fun times it says 18. Which is correct. My 19 year old well behaved daughter used serenity on Sunshine 12/27/2015 cruise no problem. My husband had to tell about 4 guys to tone it down because they were too rowdy on the serenity. The guys were 20-30 years old. ?????????????

The posted signs in Serenity say 21. Since the sign does say 21 and over, the other guests should be able to assume all the guests are over 21 so when that 30 something guy is hitting on a young woman in the area, he has no reason to expect an overprotective daddy is gonna to get in his face.

The posted signs in Serenity say 21. Since the sign does say 21 and over, the other guests should be able to assume all the guests are over 21 so when that 30 something guy is hitting on a young woman in the area, he has no reason to expect an overprotective daddy is gonna to get in his face.

Really? It's a 21+ area so guys can go and pick up girls?? I would think it's a 21+ area so that people can enjoy the quiet without kids running around and teens being rowdy. NOT so 30 year olds can hit on young looking girls.

I think it is great that you asked this question!

I've seen families with young children sitting in Serenity who get annoyed when asked if they have read the sign which says 21+!

I doubt if anyone would say anything to a quiet family group with older teens.

It's not even a 'group' of teens I'm asking about. It's one high-school senior who wants to sit quietly and read with his mother and adult sister. Ok, typing that out it looks weird LOL! He's a quiet kid, has his friends at home/school but...believe it or not actually enjoys spending time with his mother and sister on vacation.

It's not even a 'group' of teens I'm asking about. It's one high-school senior who wants to sit quietly and read with his mother and adult sister. Ok, typing that out it looks weird LOL! He's a quiet kid, has his friends at home/school but...believe it or not actually enjoys spending time with his mother and sister on vacation.

I understand what you mean I also have a shy/quiet son who would be the same way. That being said, the rule is 21+ and I believe in teaching my children to respect rules because there are reasons for them. One reason that hasn't been mentioned that I feel is important, is the fact that these areas have a limited space and loungers available. They are often crowded even with only 21 and over guests using the space.

This is the main reason I am against saying if someone under 21 is well behaved it should be ok....sure we are discussing just one child but what if everyone felt this way? 1 would/could become 10-20 and that is 10 - 20 or even just 1 lounger unavailable for someone over 21 to use.

I agree that the 18-20 age group has it a little tough, but there are always quiet areas to be found in the sun (up a deck from the pool often times) for a family like yours to sit and read and bond. Then in a few years you can all use the Serenity area. :D This is just MHO.

Where did she say that the guys were hitting on her daughter? I read that they were being rowdy and her husband addressed that issue. :cool:

Then you and his adult sister will need to find somewhere else to sit quietly and read with him. They area you are talking about is over 21 only.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Please don't shoot me for this but Carnival has many rules but it also has MANY cruiser who don't believe they are directed for them. I find folks still smoking on balconies, children in the Serenity area. All are against Carnival rules but they are not ENFORCED on a uniform basis. Unfortunately I find more cruisers that do not care about rules aboard Carnival. I can't say why, maybe demographics, shear number of ships, price point I don't know. I was brought up and grew up with rules, both at home, in school, in the military, in the work place, and managed to obey them. Now we'll get the "You never had a speeding ticket......." Do what your conscience will allow.

Edited by hbrote

When I cruised on the Sunshine in the winter, the Serenity pool was so cold that it was pretty much empty all the time. I can't imagine caring if a well-behaved older teenager wanted to swim. There was a shortage of loungers on Serenity only because people dropped off belongings and disappeared for hours. I would much rather stop the chair hogs than drive out a quiet teen reading a book. :rolleyes: I wouldn't bring a kid, no matter how quiet, but no one should notice or care exactly how old a full-grown young adult is as long as they're not causing a problem.

That said, OP, the Serenity on the Sunshine is not that quiet, unless you go to the very top where you can't hear the lido noise. If you're just looking for a quiet place away from the lido to read, you may be happier on Deck 3, just outside the doors off the lobby area. It's not that sunny, but it's quiet.

Really? It's a 21+ area so guys can go and pick up girls?? I would think it's a 21+ area so that people can enjoy the quiet without kids running around and teens being rowdy. NOT so 30 year olds can hit on young looking girls.

Adults should be able to expect to adult with other adults since the area is supposed to be restricted to over 21. There is a big difference in a 30 plus ogling someone who they believe is over 21 in the adult area vs ogling someone who may look 21 but is in the family pool and therefore could be even under 18.

If you are looking for an exterior quiet'er' space, and following the rules there are typically some comfortable chairs on the upper decks that should fulfill your needs. Serenity is 21+ bending the rules for one require doing so for all, which defeats having rules at all.

I never said I wasn't going to follow any rules. Why is everyone assuming that's what I asked to do. Go back and read my question. I just wanted to know if my almost 18 y/o could go into the serenity area. I also then just explained WHY I was asking (why he doesn't want to go hang out with kids he doesn't know).

Edited by paminohio