Curious question about muster drills

Drose716

I'm just curious about how the format of the muster drill is decided. Does it vary from ship to ship or is it a feet wide procedure that sometimes changes?

The reason I ask is:

Victory '04- the old days! Out on deck with life jackets on

Imagination '12- indoor presentation held inside in a lounge

Victory '13, Freedom '14, Valor '15- held on deck with no life jackets in attendance

Sensation '16- began as a presentation in the lounge & then we were moved out on deck to finish up the drill

I cruise about once per year now so it's hard to tell if it's ship to ship or just changes every so often fleet wide. I found the format on Sensation to be annoying. Why start inside to then move thousands of people again outside? Why not just start outside? I'm not complaining in general because obviously it's important & it signals the start of vacation to me when muster ends. Just curious :)

Edited by Drose716

I'm just curious about how the format of the muster drill is decided. Does it vary from ship to ship or is it a feet wide procedure that sometimes changes?

The reason I ask is:

Victory '04- the old days! Out on deck with life jackets on

Imagination '12- indoor presentation held inside in a lounge

Victory '13, Freedom '14, Valor '15- held on deck with no life jackets in attendance

Sensation '16- began as a presentation in the lounge & then we were moved out on deck to finish up the drill

I cruise about once per year now so it's hard to tell if it's ship to ship or just changes every so often fleet wide. I found the format on Sensation to be annoying. Why start inside to then move thousands of people again outside? Why not just start outside? I'm not complaining in general because obviously it's important & it signals the start of vacation to me when muster ends. Just curious :)

Been the same on the cruises we have taken in past few years. Start and end at same place without life jackets in hand.

From my experience, muster drill venues vary from ship to ship depending upon each ship's configuration and available deck space. The no life jackets change, I believe is a ruling from the Coast Guard or other regulatory authority that opines life jackets do not have to be worn (other posters, please correct if wrong).

In the grand scheme of things, venue inside or outside or both and life jackets or no life jackets should be a real concern. Getting to the muster station and participating in the drill, is what's important.

Not intending to be rude or sarcastic but a Muster Drill is not about the convenience for a passenger. It is about following coast guard regulations and making sure all passengers are fully aware of emergency procedures that need to be followed on all cruises. As someone posted earlier the exact locations and methods for relaying this information will vary from ship to ship depending on passenger capacity and space available and how the procedure will make the most sense and how the information can best be conveyed "in the opinion of the ship's crew".

We've sailed on the Pride, Spirit and Miracle..all Spirit class ships and all from the west coast from 2006 to 2014. The muster drills were always held on the muster decks and never seemed overly long. The only thing that had changed over the years was that we didn't have to bring our life jackets with us to the drill. They did have an area inside for those with physical challenges.

Then in 2015 we sailed for the first time on the Inspiration..a different class ship.. and the muster drill was much longer and totally different. We went to one of the lounges..different lounges assigned for different muster stations. We were there for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. After that everyone was taken up to their assigned muster station except those with physical challenges.

When you meet inside, that IS your muster station. If there is an emergency, that is where you are to meet to be taken to the lifeboats. They actually take a quick census there to ensure that there is no one missing, in the event of an emergency.

When they take you outside, it is to familiarize you with the lifeboats and the procedures there.

The drills do vary by class of ship, and I too hate the inside/outside kind. I'm sorry, but it's loooooong and claustrophobic and I don't see the "necessity" of going outside when you don't go out on other ships. It is annoying. And yes, I'm well aware that being on a sinking ship and not knowing where to go would be even more annoying. :p

Think the way it's ran varies by ship, and what ever regulations to Coast Guard is currently pushing. On Splendor in August we went straight outside to our muster stations right in front of the lifeboats, and the cruise director came on the speakers and went through the whole thing. On Fantasy in December we went to the theater, for the info and then were taken out to our lifeboat for more info.

The drills do vary by class of ship, and I too hate the inside/outside kind. I'm sorry, but it's loooooong and claustrophobic and I don't see the "necessity" of going outside when you don't go out on other ships. It is annoying. And yes, I'm well aware that being on a sinking ship and not knowing where to go would be even more annoying. :p

I guess I'm a safety kind of person and I want the "crew" (you know the guys and gals in white uniforms with insignia on...not the "staff" who service the ship) to conduct the muster drill in a manner they feel comfortable with. Many of us tend to "tune out" safety drills whether on an airplane or on a ship...and that's kind of sad, since all ships are configured different as are all the different equipment types the airlines use.

In this day and age I never enter a space (such as restaurants, arenas, movie theaters) without noting the exists...could save your life during a fire or an "armed" attack. Wonder if kids find fire drills at their schools as long and claustrophobic as people do the safety drills on a ship that "could" save their lives. A half hour out of my life on a ship isn't a big deal. My life and the lives of those I love ARE.

I guess I'm a safety kind of person and I want the "crew" (you know the guys and gals in white uniforms with insignia on...not the "staff" who service the ship) to conduct the muster drill in a manner they feel comfortable with. Many of us tend to "tune out" safety drills whether on an airplane or on a ship...and that's kind of sad, since all ships are configured different as are all the different equipment types the airlines use.

In this day and age I never enter a space (such as restaurants, arenas, movie theaters) without noting the exists...could save your life during a fire or an "armed" attack. Wonder if kids find fire drills at their schools as long and claustrophobic as people do the safety drills on a ship that "could" save their lives. A half hour out of my life on a ship isn't a big deal. My life and the lives of those I love ARE.

Well, having been on many flights and cruises, I feel like I know what to do anyway. And, I'm an optimist. My ship or plane wouldn't dare go down. :D

It would be nice if you could just take a test. If you can put on your life jacket, show the light and whistle, and navigate your way to the station, you're excused. But you're right, it's 30 minutes of my life. I dutifully show up, listen, and do what I'm told. It's not a big deal.

They don't bother me. On glory and Liberty they were on deck 3 by the lifeboats. Odd one side and even the other. It was CROWDED but pretty short. I get claustrophobic so being stuck in that area was uncomfortable but I just breathed..... The dream class ships y oh meet inside, like the main dining areas. Much better in my opinion. But it's 30 minutes at the beginning of the trip so whatever, I'm on a boat.....:D