Cancellation/deposit question

mds556

I am sorry, I know that this has been discussed before on here, but I couldn't find an answer to what was looking for. Due to my husbands unstable job, we are considering canceling. We are booked for April 2016, it is an ES, and I got 50% off the deposit. I did not take out the insurance and it was paid off in December. I put down $250 when I booked it. Now the contract #6, says the Cancellation Charge (Per Guest) is the deposit. So would that be $125pp? In my cruise details, it tells me that I would loose $250 is canceled today. But when I asked the VP guy that booked me, he says it would be $250pp. I know that it is not their job to cancel cruises, but he has been very unhelpful when I ask him direct questions. Feb. 14 will be the 56 days out mark.

I am sorry, I know that this has been discussed before on here, but I couldn't find an answer to what was looking for. Due to my husbands unstable job, we are considering canceling. We are booked for April 2016, it is an ES, and I got 50% off the deposit. I did not take out the insurance and it was paid off in December. I put down $250 when I booked it. Now the contract #6, says the Cancellation Charge (Per Guest) is the deposit. So would that be $125pp? In my cruise details, it tells me that I would loose $250 is canceled today. But when I asked the VP guy that booked me, he says it would be $250pp. I know that it is not their job to cancel cruises, but he has been very unhelpful when I ask him direct questions. Feb. 14 will be the 56 days out mark.

You have said you paid 250.00 deposit(125.00) per person, so if that is all you have paid, then that's all you can lose... Also, if you purchased insurance that covers you for any reason, then you should be entitled to some of that money back from you insurance.

You have said you paid 250.00 deposit(125.00) per person, so if that is all you have paid, then that's all you can lose... Also, if you purchased insurance that covers you for any reason, then you should be entitled to some of that money back from you insurance.

I did not take out the insurance, and the cruise was paid off in December.

Based on the information you have supplied, unless you are taking a 5-day or less cruise, you are past the final payment date (no matter when you made the final payment), but you are still within the 56-day limit. Early saver is not really an issue because the final payment date has passed.

Thus, the only question here is: If I paid a reduced deposit, is the cancellation fee the amount of the reduced deposit, or is it the amount of what the deposit would normally be?

I don't know the answer, but that's the question.

Edited by GradUT

Based on the information you have supplied, unless you are taking a 5-day or less cruise, you are past the final payment date (no matter when you made the final payment), but you are still within the 56-day limit. Early saver is not really an issue because the final payment date has passed.

Thus, the only question here is: If I paid a reduced deposit, is the cancellation fee the amount of the reduced deposit, or is it the amount of what the deposit would normally be?

I don't know the answer, but that's the question.

You hit the nail on the head....that is my question :) Yes final payment date has passed and yes it is a 7 day cruise. Thank you.

In case anyone was curious....I canceled our trip on Monday, my money was in my bank account this morning and it was only short our $250 deposit, $125pp.

Just don't forget that your forfeited deposit (less $50/person) will be available for you to use towards another cruise. Unfortunately since you didn't reschedule at the same time that you cancelled, it can't be used towards a deposit, but it can be used towards the remaining balance of another cruise.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you get to go on one eventually!

Just don't forget that your forfeited deposit (less $50/person) will be available for you to use towards another cruise. Unfortunately since you didn't reschedule at the same time that you cancelled, it can't be used towards a deposit, but it can be used towards the remaining balance of another cruise.

Since I canceled after the "final payment date" that doesn't apply here. I lost the $250, but there was no $50pp service fee.

In case anyone was curious....I canceled our trip on Monday, my money was in my bank account this morning and it was only short our $250 deposit, $125pp.

Thanks for letting us know what happened. I had the question figured out and now I know the answer.

That only applies for cancellations before final payment. After final payment the same rules apply to all, except for Early Saver they don't allow name changes.