First Time in San Juan

wendysue44

Hi, the forts close at 5pm so you might want to pick between the Bacardi tour and the forts. Visit the Bacardi site since their "tours" have been changed lately and sometimes it's not what people expect when they get there. If opting for Bacardi, take the ferry across the bay for $0.50USD each way and taxi to/from the Bacardi site ($3-4USD). The forts are $3USD if visiting just one, $5USD for both. You will most likely spend more time at the forts than at Bacardi.

Hi, the forts close at 5pm so you might want to pick between the Bacardi tour and the forts. Visit the Bacardi site since their "tours" have been changed lately and sometimes it's not what people expect when they get there. If opting for Bacardi, take the ferry across the bay for $0.50USD each way and taxi to/from the Bacardi site ($3-4USD). The forts are $3USD if visiting just one, $5USD for both. You will most likely spend more time at the forts than at Bacardi.

These prices are a little out dated by a couple of dollars all around. I have read about the new Bacardi tours but have not done them. Since you cannot see any process being done, kind of ruins it for me. If you like history definitely stay in old san juan. I like being toured then finishing on my own, but you can walk for the whole time your ship is in port and still not see everything. Have a coffee and a local lunch, take your time and enjoy, i love the old city!

Thank you all for your replies. We were hoping to do the tasting tour at Bacardi, but with our time constraints, I think the Forts will win. I am thinking that walking around OSJ will be a better option.

Thanks again!

Then late afternoon cocktails and nibbles at El Cenvento :)

The Bacardi tour is not very recommended by the majority of people who did it.

If you are into Forts, old constructions, brick and mortar...then do the forts.

We were in San Juan last week and we did the 2 forts...beautiful !!!

Our ship left from San Juan in December so we flew down a few days early and stayed an extra night after and were able to spend a lot of time there. So many yummy places to eat I would highly recommend eating in Old San Juan instead of the ship. We went to both of the forts and really enjoyed them. The free trolley's that go around and thru OSJ are great! There are so many little shops to walk thru, and during the evenings there were often little independent artists selling their projects. I love history and it was everywhere here. While we did not do the Bacardi tour we heard from those who did that it was disappointing. Loved OSJ! I hope you have as much fun as we did!

These prices are a little out dated by a couple of dollars all around. I have read about the new Bacardi tours but have not done them. Since you cannot see any process being done, kind of ruins it for me. If you like history definitely stay in old san juan. I like being toured then finishing on my own, but you can walk for the whole time your ship is in port and still not see everything. Have a coffee and a local lunch, take your time and enjoy, i love the old city!

Not trying to be a smart a** or anything but I'm local to Puerto Rico and I do my best to give out the most accurate info for people that visit my Island. I know for a fact that the admission prices for the forts are $3 for one, $5 for a same-day pass for both. Check out the National Parks site and you'll see they only quote the $5 pass and it includes both fortifications. Having taken the Cataño ferry a bunch of times I know that the ride is 0.50cents each way per person and the taxis you take are located to the right as you exit the terminal and the prices (as of Nov. 2015) was no more than $4 (I can't honestly remember if it was $3 or $4) but I did ask.

Need more info? try: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/bacardi-rum-factory/ . These guys are known to be on top of their info of Puerto Rico and are pro's. Since you "read" but not done the tours (hence not taken the ferry or taxi) I really question the accuracy of your third-person info.

Thank you all for your replies. We were hoping to do the tasting tour at Bacardi, but with our time constraints, I think the Forts will win. I am thinking that walking around OSJ will be a better option.

Thanks again!

One can always do a tasting aboard at your favorite bar :).

The forts are an excellent choice. They are operated by the National Parks Service. Info at http://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm. While single admission is $5, I believe that a national parks & federal recreational lands pass (http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm) also grants admission.

• 3 weeks later...

Forget the Bacardi tour. I got it for free, and thank goodness I did!

You just see a visitor center, with Bacardi history stuff, and get some rum samples outside. You do not see behind the scenes at all. A waste if you ask me, unless getting some rum samples and seeing a huge building is important to you.