Celebrity summit review 23 jan 2016

ladybrockett

DAY 7 PEURTO RICO

The captain promptly woke us up at 7am, me nursing a slight headache from the night before. We were due to leave the cabin at 8am but as the attendant never came and asked us to leave we stayed until 8.30 until we heard our number called. Well it was better than waiting in a lounge with everyone else.

Our luggage was waiting for us, and we joined the long snaking line to customs. This took a good 30 mins but kept moving so was not too bad. Once through we grabbed a cab to take us back to the Courtyard Marriot where we were going to spend the time until our 6.45pm flight.

Once arriving at the hotel we were informed by the receptionist that we would not be able to use their facilities eg pool, luggage storage etc totally contradicting what we had been told when staying there. J was not having this and demanded to see the Manager. He came through and could not do enough for us. He gave us a key to use the showers in the gym, some towels and even a voucher for a couple of cocktails. Fantastic service and made our last day very enjoyable. Thank you Orlando!

When it was time to leave we took a cab to the airport ($15) it was only 5 mins away so we soon arrived. We dropped off our bags and joined the queue to pass though security. This was so slow and took at least 45 mins but it’s sure better to be safe than sorry. Made our way to the departure gate and didn’t have to wait long to board. Once in our seats the captain announced because of the tail wind we would arrive back to the UK in only 7 hrs which was 2 hrs quicker than coming. And so to the end of our holiday on Celebrity Summit

CONCLUSION

The Summit does show is age in places but nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews. Yes there is rust here and there, which I’m sure will be addressed when in dry dock but the rest of the ship is fine.

Liked the layout with most evenings spent on level four and was very easy to navigate.

Pool was ok but I don’t go on a ship for this.

Food was good in the MDR, in fact I never had a bad meal. Normandie was excellent.

Entertainment was the best I have seen on a ship.

And yes we did survive without a drinks package coming at least $200 under what it would have cost us. Ok I didn’t have a drink with dinner but J doesn’t drink wine so we didn’t feel we went short at all. If we had more sea days, it might be a different outcome.

Formal nights have been resigned to history. Hello Chic

All in all a superb holiday on a great ship, just the noise in the night which spoilt it somewhat.

And we WILL have a balcony next time J has informed me!

But on what ship ????

And finally a big thank you to everyone who has followed this review over the last week…………You deserve a medal!!!!!

As a note, sorry if someone mentioned this but on the Summit for sure, near the bed is a white nob you can turn to turn down or off the announcements in your cabin, so you don't get woke up every morning or disturbed by the sail away announcements, etc. Sorry you didn't know that on your cruise.

As a note, sorry if someone mentioned this but on the Summit for sure, near the bed is a white nob you can turn to turn down or off the announcements in your cabin, so you don't get woke up every morning or disturbed by the sail away announcements, etc. Sorry you didn't know that on your cruise.

I presumed that what it was for but it didn't seem to work. Maybe it was broken? another reason not to have this cabin!!

Thanks for the great review! My cruise isn't until November, but i enjoyed your information & review. It will be my first time on Celebrity, but so looking forward to it :).

Carol Ann

Our Next summit cruise is in August, but we will have a Refection cruise next in March Looking foward to a respite from the -1 degree temperature!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Can I ask, on your inbound Norwegian flight from San Juan back to Gatwick, did they offer you Premium Class upgrades for a charge in San Juan? I notice that there are only four people booked in that cabin at the moment on 9th April and wonder if they offer the upgrades at a discount at the airport.

Thanks