15 Day Hawaii Cruise from LA - Two 26 Year Olds

RTrick16

It was nice of you to reply but the OP was looking to sail last February, three months ago.

Cruise Critic really should make the original posting date more visible ...

oh wow! no kidding!

No, not at all similar... Princess is laid back versus the fun ship, especially on a longer cruise like this one.

You'll have an older demographic. Loads of trivia, ukulele and hula classes are offered. If you're looking for a high energy cruise, this isn't for you. If you enjoy spending time with each other, watching movies, watching the ocean, reading, etc., you'll be fine.

It's a fantastic cruise. I've taken it four times. If you think you're still interested, you'd better get that ocean view cabin as soon as possible!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Well said Nina. I am right behind you with 3 round trips, two from San Francisco, but our first cruise was with you and your husband on the Golden with ELUA and Dave Cole. Great cruise and I remember your cabin decorated with strings of lights and our cabin crawl. What a great cruise!

It was nice of you to reply but the OP was looking to sail last February, three months ago.

Cruise Critic really should make the original posting date more visible ...

oh wow! no kidding!

LOL - you're not the only one who is going to only read the first post, miss the date and still reply without reading the other responses ... just look at the post above this one.

Girlfriend and I have been on 3 Carnival cruises in the Carribbean and are looking at the 15 day Hawaii cruise in 1 week.

Biggest fears are:

Adverse weather on sea days limiting entertainment.

Potential lack of individuals our age... potentially to the extreame that we feel out of place.

Only "Obstructed View" ocean view rooms available... go interior?

Please help!

There has been lots of information provided. Here is my take. We have sailed the Hawaii route 4 times. 'Sea days limiting entertainment'? If your description of sea day entertainment is sitting around the pool deck, drinking beer, and playing pool games, then yes entertainment will be limited. Normally on the 4 day crossing to Hawaii it is cool, not like the Caribbean, and the seas can be choppy. Most times there are not a lot of people hanging around the pool. Also, the passenger demographic is not of the kind that participates in drinking and pool games. Princess may run some pool activities if the weather is suitable. You will only feel out of place if you let yourself feel out of place. We are older and have been on many cruises where we made friends with younger passengers, in trivia games, karaoke, theme nights, all kinds of things. Read the princess Patter each day. It will be filled with activities, some good, some not so good. The Hawaii culture program is really nice, with uke lessons, hula dancing lei making. There will be a pop choir if you like to sing. Ballroom dancing and Line dancing instructions. Maybe a passenger talent show. All kinds of things. Enjoy the cruise. Sea days are the best.

Thanks for the tip!

would you say the onboard activities are similar to carnival?... if youve been on carnival...

Almost Diamond on Carnival and Platinum on Princess.

We've done Hawaii on Carnival and 10 day cruises on Princess.

Activity wise the lines are very similar. Shows, comedy, bingo, enrichment lectures, trivia. Both lines have their pluses and minuses.

We prefer the buffet on Princess and the MDR in Carnival. Carnival has more pizza options and deli. Princess's sandwiches are usually pre made. Princess does have BOGO drinks and different beverage packages than Carnival.

Princess's cabins will be smaller. Both have self laundry. Carnival seems to 'stay up later'. Longer cruises attract a similar crowd, though Carnival does have more of a cross section of society.

Hopefully someone can point you to the website that has a list of the obstructions in those obstructed OV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well said Nina. I am right behind you with 3 round trips, two from San Francisco, but our first cruise was with you and your husband on the Golden with ELUA and Dave Cole. Great cruise and I remember your cabin decorated with strings of lights and our cabin crawl. What a great cruise!

H! I do remember our cruise fondly... it was fun! I'm hoping to do list again. It's wonderful no matter how many times you take it.

I am 23 + my husband is 26; we will be going on the 15 day in Oct as well, but with Carnival. I read tons of reviews and learned that Carnival will probably be your best bet in terms of a "younger crowd."

Since it's a 15 day cruise, you'll have a much older crowd, whether it's Carnival or Princess.

Girlfriend and I have been on 3 Carnival cruises in the Carribbean and are looking at the 15 day Hawaii cruise in 1 week.

Biggest fears are:

Adverse weather on sea days limiting entertainment.

Potential lack of individuals our age... potentially to the extreame that we feel out of place.

Only "Obstructed View" ocean view rooms available... go interior?

Please help!

2 sea days going and coming will be chilly and windy and yes it will be an older crowd.

I think you're too young to go on this cruise. The ship is usually dead by 9 or 10 pm and I think the lounges will be empty, will you be okay with that? Just look at your options

Not necessarily. It would depend on the itinerary and time of year. I wish the OP had returned and said whether they went on this cruise or not (the post said in one week, but not sure if the cruise was actually booked or not) and what was the experience.

As I said, we went on this cruise in late December, and it wasn't the case that it was so quiet you can hear a dime after 10pm. But then, there was a wide range of ages, from little ones to seniors. But I found that even many of those older than us were in a festive mood. And given that there were some sea days in a row, then the ports, and then the rest of the sea days, there wasn't the need for people to go to bed early every night.

I found the reverse on our Alaskan cruise -- that with all the port days, and since this wasn't a beachy type of cruise so many passengers were doing many active excursions...it seemed that the ship was pretty quiet each night. I'm guessing this tends to be the norm on many Alaskan cruises.

As for Princess vs Carnival, if someone prizes the pool games and conga lines, then it's Carnival. But for a variety of activities, other than those, then Princess could be right line. I don't know what Hawaiian-based activities Carnival has, but I love how Princess has put together (thanks to David Cole and Elua some years ago) a great and fun program.

Lots of good information for anyone looking to book a R/T LA to Hawaii. I appreciate it all... even though the thread started a while back. It's on my list for 2018 or 2019!

Yes! Even though the original post was some time ago, I'm still enjoying reading the posts - we are doing this cruise in 2017 and I can't wait.